Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
PurpleLeafX3

Do I need any make up for..?

I know I'm posting all over this forum but that's because I actually know almost nothing about cosplaying (except for sewing).
So I'm cosplaying as Siesta 45 from Umineko no naku koro ni in February and as Arachne from Soul Eater in the summer. I'm white and my face are really really pale, seriously, people often tell me to check if I have anemia (which I don't have..) so I figured out it can work in my favor when I'm cosplaying as Arachne cuz she is really pale too, but I need to know for the siesta 45 cosplay - Does it matter? do I need make up so my face look less pale? I mean I'm not as white as a wall but Siesta 45 is also not that pale....So do I need makeup or it doesn't really matter?
thx
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Levinanth
Pokémon Master

The way I see it, no matter how pretty you are, if you're cosplaying, you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS need makeup. Even if you think you're pale enough, you should probably need at least a foundation or whatever it's called to at least smooth out your skintone. Remember that on camera, any little blemish is twice as noticeable and that colours are 3 times less vivid, so you might want to make yourself a few shades lighter, it would really make the cosplay 'pop', so to say.
Levinanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
PurpleLeafX3

Nothing to do with pretty, just the fact that I'm really pale but thanks ^^ I'll use makeup. Usually I'm not a fan of this but twice in a year won't kill me
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Yep! I'm super pale too. But you should ALWAYS wear make-up. Not necessarily to make yourself darker but to bring out your eyes and lips and such. Otherwise you'd look like a ghost. xD
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
PurpleLeafX3

XDD ok thank you ^^
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Marika

Another thing about makeup is that should you wake up and have dark circles or a zit or any sort of redness, it will cover that and smooth out your complexion so you can put your best face forward no matter what sort of day you're having.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
PurpleLeafX3

Haha yeah I guess you're right
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
nordicunicorn
Freakshow

My opinion goes with the others; use makeup to cover blemishes, matten your face (shiny faces on camera are really not that good-looking), and bring forward your features. Contour, shade and highlight to get prominent facial features that show up even in poor lighting; nothing is worse than being a complete blob with two dark dots for eyes.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoyashi365 View Post
on that note:
"who is Ani-may and why is there a convention about her?"
Quote:
Considering that Kingdom Hearts is perhaps the most over cosplayed series of this year and last, and Anime Expo is literally walking distance away from Disneyworld, I'm surprised that cosplayers don't just march on the gates, hundreds upon hundreds of KH cosplayers looking to storm the gates of Disney.
nordicunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Kimchi_Kutie93

Makeup enhances and conceals. If you really want to look your best, apply at least a little bit of makeup. You dont have to go all out.
Kimchi_Kutie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #10
Higpi
No.

Anime characters aren't natural looking. You'll need makeup. You can be on the vogue magazine and still need to wear makeup if you're cosplaying anyone. 'Sides, no on has such beautiful poreless flawless smooth skin. We all have flaws. So if youre going to cosplay, wear makeup.
Higpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
emm_gee

you always need at least basic make up if you're gonna be on camera. like everyone else said, you wanna even out your skin and bring out your features, because the camera will pick up on any blemishes and wash you out
i wouldn't worry so much about matching your complection to the character's unless you plan on doing your whole body, such as a self tanner. you don't wanna get that weird foundation line under your chin
if you're not a fan of wearing much make up, i would say stick with foundation, mascara and blush at the minimum
emm_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
creatingchaos

if you want to be believable and look the best you possibly can, makeup is a must. at least concealer, powder, blush, liquid eyeliner, mascara and chapstick. if you're doing a private shoot, you'll need to wear a LOT of makeup. the general rule is, look like a drag queen in person, look normal on the camara. more can be more in this instance. doesnt matter how pretty a person is or if they are a model, they always wear makeup. as for your skin tone, i'm very pale and don't change my skin tone so i wouldnt worry about it.
creatingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote