Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
emm_gee

eyebrow dilemma

hello~
so i could use a bit of help. i'm cosplaying a blonde, but i'm naturally a dark brunette. my eyebrows are thick and full and i adore them but i feel like there might be a bit too much contrast between the platinum blonde and the dark brown
i don't want them super light, just not as noticeable as they are now. i know dying is an option, and i know people use spirit gum to cover them, but doesn't it look too unnatural when they're drawn back on?
emm_gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Not if you draw them back in with small brushstrokes, rather than try to draw and fill in a section of brow. Here's a tutorial where half the brow is covered and concealed, then redrawn using the method. She uses three shades of shadow, so it looks very natural.
Sidenote: If your brows are still too noticeable after concealing them, use a corrector first. Something pink or peachy toned with help counteract the shadow/darkness from your brows. Then apply your foundation or concealer on top, and set with powder.

Another option is to mix white creme makeup (such as the Milk Jumbo Shadow pencil from NYX) and a yellow based foundation/concealer; then brush the mixture through your brows with a spoolie brush, or disposable mascara wand. You can also dust a light, light shade of shadow on top, which sets the creme makeup and reduces the shine.

Good luck, and hope these suggestions help a little!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm_gee View Post
hello~
so i could use a bit of help. i'm cosplaying a blonde, but i'm naturally a dark brunette. my eyebrows are thick and full and i adore them but i feel like there might be a bit too much contrast between the platinum blonde and the dark brown
i don't want them super light, just not as noticeable as they are now. i know dying is an option, and i know people use spirit gum to cover them, but doesn't it look too unnatural when they're drawn back on?
I have very black, thick, coarse eyebrows. Hermione worthy if I might say myself. Most of the suggested methods of coloring eyebrows seem to just have mediocre results for me to be honest. So I've tried combining and tweaking a few of them for the best results I can, here's what I've tried with varying degrees of 'pretty good looking' depending on the color and quality of makeup used:

Use a concealer to cover your brows first;
For dark thick brows this may not be super effective on it's own. I've tried this with all sorts of different brands and concealers of various consistencies and finished, try using NYX shadow stick in Milk (it's white, shocker) to cover over your brows first. The shadow stick is super creamy and blends really nicely. Lots of people actually use it as a shadow base. The idea is that it will lighten the hairs under the concealer so once that's down the concealer is covering less harsh looking dark hairs. Once you've got that blended out try adding the concealer on top and finishing the concealer with a translucent powder so it wont melt off and slide about.

Use (matte) eyeshadow to tint the brows and fill in spaces;
Again, this has had various degrees of success depending on how I prep my brows prior, what kind of shadow I am using, and how I apply the shadow. What worked best for me was to use a small angled eyeshadow brush this kind of brush, only I don't own MAC). On the back of my hand I use a kind of thick gel-like eyeshadow primer, the Hard Candy mini tubes of eyeshadow primer are FANFUCKINGTASTIC but aren't actually sold on their own. So if you can spare the money for a small set of shadows that includes on that might be a good choice. Just be prepared to not really care for the eyeshadow itself.../cough/ But uh, any similar primer will do. Maybe even just face primer such as the Rimmel London one, make sure it's got the blue lettering on it. I squirt a tiny bit of the primer onto the back of my hand, blend it a little (not so it sinks into the skin completely though) and then wipe my angled brush into the primer. Then from there I dip the brush into the shadow I need and I find the color is more intense. You could also try just wetting the brush with water if you have no primers of any sort.

Top the shadow off with the same colored powder;
Since I apply the shadow to my brows wet, either with water or the primer method, after it's dried completely I use the same angled brush (cleaned) to apply the same shadow *dry* as a way to set the color.

Keep in mind that very rarely, if ever, do our brows match our hair! So you might have a blond haired character but they likely have ashy light brown brow hair. For people who are naturally very fair haired they might have brows so light they're almost invisible, but this isn't what your going for. You wouldn't really be looking to completely tint your brows bright blond anyway, so you've got that in your favor!

Even Galadriel, who's hair is sometimes shown to be almost white in some scenes, has ashy brown eyebrows;

I will say that plucking stray brow hairs will help over all, since it's going to be very strange to have these perfectly colored brows and then some dark black ones straying over the rest of your face. If you like your thick brows (and I like mine thick) you don't need to really try to 'reshape' them or anything. But plucking the little ones here and there that are out of place will help make the color look more naturally your own.

There's loads of methods from putting stick glue on your brows and everything in between. I just found that with my very dark, thick, coarse brows most methods on their own didn't work for me so I had to tinker around a bit to find what worked best with my hairs.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
emm_gee

thank you both very much for the help!
i know it looks more natural for them to be a bit darker than the hair color. actually i dye my hair a caramel blonde and keep my brows natural and it looks fine
they're always well groomed and plucked, they're not untamed and bushy or anything. just very defined and dark. i actually get a lot of compliments on them haha. but anyways, there's no random stray hairs to worry about or anything like that, i guess i'll just play around with different techniques and see what works best
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
qiancen

try eye brow mascara
qiancen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Joybug

I'm having a similar problem. I have dark eyebrows that i love, and they're hard to cover up. I don't want to ruin them, but I need to cover them entirely and re-draw them to complete my Sebastian Michaelis cosplay. He has insane eyebrows and I have no idea what I'm doing. Most of the characters I've cosplayed all I've had to do is draw over my eyebrows in another colour, which is fine, but his I have to completely re-do. On top of that I have sensitive skin.
Any suggestions?
Joybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Julesie

I have the same problem. A character I would love to cosplay I just won't because his eyebrows are a very prominent part of his character and I'd need to dye mine for his. With them being so dark and thick any type of dyeing I've attempted looked ridiculous.

I'm too scared to pluck mine because the time I tried it was so painful with just a single hair that my eyes went red and watered. I've never wanted to try since.
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
emm_gee

lol thick eyebrow problems~
i'm gonna try the NYX pencil
good luck to everyone