Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
PurpleLeafX3

Is it horrible if I come without contacts?

I need red eye contacts for my cosplay but my eyes are super sensitive and my mom won't allowed me to but contacts anyway...
Is it horrible if I come without contacts? Will you hate a cosplay that has no contancts?
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

everyone asks this question and it really isnt. yes there are some people who may give u some sh!t about it but most people wont care and will focus on the costume instead
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I wear contacts every day, so obtaining/wearing colored contacts is easy for me. It's something I enjoy. That said, my brother has perfect vision and prefers not to bother. It's a matter of personal preference - and in many cases such as yours, simply a medical issue. No one (decent) can fault you for that.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
PurpleLeafX3

ok thanks ^^
btw it's not a really medical issue, I mean Im allowed medicly to put eye lenses but it really hurts (Im talking from expirence) so I just decided letting it go
PurpleLeafX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
KitsuneNoKoibi

OF COURSE PEOPLE WON'T HATE YOU FOR IT.
Well, I mean worthwhile people won't hate you for it, but cosplay snobs might. Don't listen to anyone trashtalking your costume. They have no reason to talk bad about you if they don't know why you did something that way!

Luka Megurine 10% done
FACEBOOK PAGE
KitsuneNoKoibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Rurouni-Idoru

If anybody's giving you crap because you elected, for whatever reason, to not jam something into your eyeball for the purpose of getting a tiny detail right that people are not likely to notice across a room, then that person is what we refer to as a jerk. In my experience, most people are pretty understanding about contacts especially because they're technically a medical device, and there's a huuuuge laundry list of reasons why people can't/won't wear them.
Rurouni-Idoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

This is kind of what I tell people on another website about contact lenses and if you can be wearing them and what kind of effect you're going for.

I'm near-sighted really bad. I mean, my perscription is thicker than my dad's perscription and he has thick lenses. Now, there are contacts that I can wear, but my problem is, if I try to put anything within a few inches of my eyeball, my eye automaticly shuts closed. Anything that gets even closer to my eye - light, contact lenses, etc. I shut my eye so fast that the doctor has dialate my pupils to check for glaucoma or any other problems. And I hate eyedrops of any type.

That being said, someone would have to hold my eyelid open by force if I wanted to wear or put something close to my eyes. I've just come to the conclusion that glasses are easier and less of a hastle than contact lenses.

Back to the point. If you're going to the convention to do stuff like go to panels, dances/raves, hang-out with friends, go out to lunch or dinner together, etc. no one is probably going to care if you have contact lenses on or not. I hosted a panel one time at AUSA, and most of my audience were uncostumed males. I was not offended by that in the least.

Now, if you're doing something like cosplay chess, entering the Masquerade/Cosplay Contest, or something like that, and you really want to do contact lenses, then you should go to your eye doctor. If he/she says no to contact lenses, don't use them. If the doctor says yes, talk to him/her about your options. Again, if a doctor says no, you're just going to have to live with it. I'm sorry, but your eye health - present and future - is far more important than wearing something that's "cool" for three days.

And now, I will get off my soapbox.
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
AmberRosie
~ I Chime In ~

Although i think wearing the contacts make your eyes look more like character, it is fine to not wear them. I'm 13 and my eyes are also sensitive, but I got my parents to say yes to them after like 2 months of begging and convincing.. I have lighter eyes, and have red contacts so if you have light eyes they look fine ;D Although i can put contacts in my left eye fine, the right is very sensitive so sometimes I just put one in(It looks funny xD) but i have never went to a con yet, though i will be at Shuto con 2014.
~!~Alois Trancy~!~ 0%
~!~Naruto Uzumaki~!~ 50%
-----------------------------------------------

Cons~!~
Shuto Con~!~ MI, Lansing (2014)

-----------------------------------------------
AmberRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Mindasayshai

Of course not, when i went to AX last year i didn't own contacts and i had to wear glasses with my cosplay. No one told me anything mean about it and if they had bad thoughts then they kept them to themselves.
Comicon 2013
Anime expo 2013
AM2 2013
Mindasayshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Its totally fine! I never wore contacts (As much as I begged my mum..) until this year for cosplay. Iv been cosplaying since 09 so its been a VERY long time, but honestly no one is going to say anything about not having red contacts unless their those snobs who are complete asses and try to do everything perfect. Its not about having the perfect replica as much as it helps though to HAVE the exact replica, its fun. And as long as you're proud and happy with the outcome, then good.
Fey- Welcome to Nightvale- 70%
Pandora- Devils Candy- 30%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
creatingchaos

I have blue eyes that are really sensitive so i feel like if i wore contacts id be in pain all day. so i don't bother nobody really notices unless the character you're wearing has super distinctive eyes like full black scleras or something similar
creatingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

The eyes are one of the last things I look at when it comes to a cosplay. I've never used them. And I know not everyone can use them.