Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 313 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #751
Druhzin

Just curious if anyone has suggestions for Sesshomaru pants fabric? I have a friend who is going to sew it for me, but white is see through so she said that she might have to line material, but I would rather have a fabric that sits correctly since they're super poofy. Any suggestions would be great! http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Mondschein.jpg http://sp3.fotolog.com/photo/3/52/90...41878240_f.jpg http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...05-500-404.jpg
Druhzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #752
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druhzin View Post
Just curious if anyone has suggestions for Sesshomaru pants fabric? I have a friend who is going to sew it for me, but white is see through so she said that she might have to line material, but I would rather have a fabric that sits correctly since they're super poofy. Any suggestions would be great! http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...Mondschein.jpg http://sp3.fotolog.com/photo/3/52/90...41878240_f.jpg http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...05-500-404.jpg
Really as long as you get a midweight fabric (Think a good quality Sateen or Poly microfiber twill) it's the construction you have to worry about more, I've made Sabin pants for a friend out of a light weight cotton before and the thing that made it poof out was the AMOUNT of fabric gathered into the hem cuff
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #753
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaForThought View Post
Okay....I'm really really new to this. But here it goes. I need help on deciding fabric and a pattern to go off of for a crossplay I've been considering for a while now. I'm on my phone since the internet is down...so hopefully my link will work. Any help you guys can give me is much appreciated
Currently finishing up my version of Mei Rin and I used Cotton Rayon Midnight blue/Blueblack Crepe and then for all the white parts I'm using a Cotton Twill... STEP 1 wash everything Thoroughly...I got a little ahead of myself and now my cotton cuffs and collar (Since my undershirt is not a separate) has a blue tint because I didn't wash it well enough before. Make sure to well interface the collar and cuffs on the underdress or undershirt if you make yours separate. Also interface the Waist band for the Pinafore (The Apron) and the skirt of it if you need to. Make sure you have an easy In and out for the apron as well. I'm making the back panel a "Fauxet" Or a faux corset. I'm going to sew in rattail or satin cord loops to loop the satin ribbon I got for the lacing effect onto the waist band, but the back underpanel will be attached via snaptape to the underside of the apron waistband to allow for easy in and out... I'm also not making the straps on the front of the apron full straps because it confuses me as even in the side photos it looks like she doesn't have any straps except the cross in the back. I'm going to make it snap to the underarm seam on my dress..this will also be for ease of getting in and out and it will cause the fit to be tighter, which is what I want.... Plus I got 2 pairs of glasses while one pair was a pair of hippie style shades I plan to edit for the white lens look for certain photos, and the others are the one's I'm going to wear while in costume at con are Magnification looking glasses...because I thought it would be funny since the glasses in the anime are suppost to be "Such a high prescription they distort her vision" and it might be a comical relief at some photoshoots... ^_^....But enough of my blithering on...I'm just sooo excited... Please if this post needs to be moved to Tutorials let me know.....

Sorry for being over informative but I hope that gives you an idea for fabrics... @_@
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #754
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigogami View Post
Currently finishing up my version of Mei Rin and I used Cotton Rayon Midnight blue/Blueblack Crepe and then for all the white parts I'm using a Cotton Twill... STEP 1 wash everything Thoroughly...I got a little ahead of myself and now my cotton cuffs and collar (Since my undershirt is not a separate) has a blue tint because I didn't wash it well enough before. Make sure to well interface the collar and cuffs on the underdress or undershirt if you make yours separate. Also interface the Waist band for the Pinafore (The Apron) and the skirt of it if you need to. Make sure you have an easy In and out for the apron as well. I'm making the back panel a "Fauxet" Or a faux corset. I'm going to sew in rattail or satin cord loops to loop the satin ribbon I got for the lacing effect onto the waist band, but the back underpanel will be attached via snaptape to the underside of the apron waistband to allow for easy in and out... I'm also not making the straps on the front of the apron full straps because it confuses me as even in the side photos it looks like she doesn't have any straps except the cross in the back. I'm going to make it snap to the underarm seam on my dress..this will also be for ease of getting in and out and it will cause the fit to be tighter, which is what I want.... Plus I got 2 pairs of glasses while one pair was a pair of hippie style shades I plan to edit for the white lens look for certain photos, and the others are the one's I'm going to wear while in costume at con are Magnification looking glasses...because I thought it would be funny since the glasses in the anime are suppost to be "Such a high prescription they distort her vision" and it might be a comical relief at some photoshoots... ^_^....But enough of my blithering on...I'm just sooo excited... Please if this post needs to be moved to Tutorials let me know.....

Sorry for being over informative but I hope that gives you an idea for fabrics... @_@
Thank you @.@ I may have made a mistake for part of my fabric but...I'm going to roll with it and make it work anyway. Actually...I'm expecting to make a lot of mistakes; so hopefully I won't do too terribly.

You're very informative...which I appreciate haha. For the apron...I have a pretty decent idea on how to do it...I'll have to make mine tie quite a bit to give me a feminine figure though (lol). The sleeves on the base dress are aggravating me. I got a pattern to start off with and alter as I go along...I'm pretty sure I'll have to use elastic to make them poofy at the top. The cuffs and collar won't be too bad...and as for head dress...I've just got to figure out how to properly do ruffles.
I got the frames with clear lenses and figured I could buckram them like fursuit eyes....looks like you can't see a thing when you really can. I'd rather not run around in glasses to mess up my contacts; my vision is messed up as it is XD
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #755
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I'm getting ready to start working on Meiko's Conchita dress, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of fabric to use for the dress? I know most people use Satin, but I was hoping for something a little less shiny.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r.../conchita2.jpg
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #756
Ichigogami
Strawberry paper...DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
I'm getting ready to start working on Meiko's Conchita dress, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of fabric to use for the dress? I know most people use Satin, but I was hoping for something a little less shiny.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/r.../conchita2.jpg
If you want something with less shine you can use Twill for the black corset, and Sateen or Peau du Soie (Matte Satin) for the burgundy parts, I used Peau du soie for my wedding dress and it has a more lux look to it less costume shine
Unread 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #757
phyllos

hey everyone,
This year I'll be working on my first cosplay. Erza scarlet from fairy tail casual wear no armor (not yet)
got my patterns ready but i was wondering what kind of fabric i should use for her skirt.
I was thinking about cotton but it might be too stiff for a pleated skirt.

picture of what the skirt looks like:

Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might, you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about your friends for as long as you live.

Erza Scarlet - Fairytail 60%
Summoner Yuna - Final Fantasy X 10%
phyllos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #758
Terqoiz

I need to make a trench/long coat that would be used in a winter climate for a character from One Piece. Here is a reference picture:
http://images.wikia.com/fairytailfan...vo-d58j82h.jpg
Terqoiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #759
outreiged

This year I'm working on my first costume, and with any luck it'll turn out to be some garbage vaguely resembling this

What material would you recommend for the basic black of the plugsuit? I was thinking nylon/elastane or something along those lines, but I'm new to the world of fabrics and am wondering what else is out there.

Thanks!
outreiged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #760
Scrittle
King of Versailles

What fabric would you suggest for the coveralls of Ellis cosplay? [ http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...nder-ellis.jpg ]
•Javert •Eponine (Les Misérables)
•Cicero (Skyrim)
Scrittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #761
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

Denim would be the best. If the denim is a little stiff, I would suggest to get a small piece for a trial swatch. Then wash it to make sure that it will release some of its stiffness. Once you see it is the same texture you want it to be, then you can purchase the yardage you need.

Twill/Cotton would be too soft for these overalls.

-uniquecreator
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #762
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terqoiz View Post
I need to make a trench/long coat that would be used in a winter climate for a character from One Piece. Here is a reference picture:
http://images.wikia.com/fairytailfan...vo-d58j82h.jpg
hmm... I'd actually stray from the 'norm' for trench coats which is usually a twill of some sort and go with fleece or something nubbly in texture. Now is the time to get it, stores will be closing out winter fabrics to bring in spring.
This is really close, very little tweaking needed to get it to that character.
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v877...hp?page_id=262
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #763
Little Shadow

Hey, I'm wondering what to use to make Neku's outfit. Suggestions for the shorts are especially welcome, though opinions for the shirt are also wanted. I have a special dislike for satin (no, just no, especially for this crossplay!) and quilter's cotton (which NEVER seems to drape right for modern clothing designs, though I have used it successfully for historically inspired items, which this outfit is clearly not). If possible, wool is also to be avoided since a family member is allergic, though I am not. I would greatly prefer washable fabrics.

Little Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #764
shmac

This is my first post in years -- hooray for me!

I'm hoping to cosplay as River Song from Doctor Who -- her outfit in the episode "Day of the Moon."

The above photo is the All Saints dress that River wore in the show. It's got a certain sheen to it, and I need something that will give me a nice, flowy dress.

I'm new to sewing and would rather not have to line it, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do! Thanks in advance.
shmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #765
°Valkyrie°

Victorious Janna

So I'm planning on making a Victorious Janna Cosplay. http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=40&skin=4

I just can't seem to figure out what fabrics to use for the pants. I was thinking of using a spandex fabric but I can't seem to find the right color. What fabric would you recommend using? any color suggestions?