Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
a n g e l i n a

Help! Store withholding my contact prescription!

Edit: A friend of mine informed me that they do have to know what brand I want to give me the prescription? I'm going to ask for regular, bi weekly contacts and hopefully they'll give it to me then.

Hey guys.

As background I've never had an eye exam or any problems before this.

Let me start out by saying I feel like a total sucker here.

I went to this store called SEE to get a prescription for contact lenses. I'll skip the b.s. with pricing and insurance I already had to go through; basically I got checked out by a doctor but had to wait a few days for them to charge me, and it wasn't covered by insurance after all (but one of their OTHER locations would take it? What does that even mean?)

I told them from the start I wanted colored contacts for cosmetic purposes, and they had no idea when I mentioned circle lenses which is fine, I realize they're illegal here. What they DID say is that they would be very expensive. I already knew going in to this I didn't want to order through them, I just wanted my prescription to order on my own.

However just an hour ago I went in after being assured they would have my prescription waiting - mind you they KNEW I was coming and I walked in single digit temperatures to get there - only to come in for them to say "oh sorry the doc just left, and we can't give you your prescription until you tell us what kind of contacts you are looking for exactly," because of "steepness" he said and that they were so sorry they didn't call.

I don't understand, am I missing something that they just can't give me my prescription? My eye sight is not bad at all, and if anything I only have a very slight astigmatism in one eye and it doesn't effect my vision much at all. And especially after all of this nonsense I've felt like I have spent enough money there, I wouldn't want to order through them anyways.

If I just tell them I want ordinary, simple, soft, biweekly contacts would they then give me a prescription that would work to order colored contacts with? What if I told them I wanted to order through 1 800 contacts or walmart because I've already spent $94 with them for just the exam alone as another friend of mine said she does? Really I want to order from pinkyparadise and I wanted to order like, yesterday!

To make matters worse, they don't have a voicemail or email for me to leave an angry message, just a fax address, nor even any reviews in this location, if you can believe it!

Last edited by a n g e l i n a : 01-31-2013 at 10:10 PM.
a n g e l i n a is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Mindasayshai

That's crazy, maybe you shouldn't have told them you wanted colored contacts and said that you would want to order normal prescription contacts or something.
Comicon 2013
Anime expo 2013
AM2 2013
Mindasayshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
magicaldork

I am not a lawyer..... but If you are a US resident I located the following with a quick google search.
Federal Trade Commission rule Sec. 456.2 .
Look it up. It is the "separation of examination and dispensing" regulation.
Basically I think if you read up on this rule and bring a copy of it with you, I think you should have luck getting
magicaldork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

That's mental. When I got my contact lenses prescription is was completely covered by my insurance and they gave it to me on the same day. I told them I wanted to wear cosmetic contacts "for performance" and they said that was fine. Then they gave me a trial set of 7x 1-day disposable lenses for me to try out so I could get use to wearing lenses and that's the end of that.

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

To me it sounds like they did your exam wrong. They SHOULD have given you a trial pair of lenses (if these trial ones work, those will be on your prescription). But it sounds like you went in, they looked at your eyes, then you left without even trying on lenses.

It sounds like you may have gone to a questionable office. They legally can not withhold your prescription, and you are supposed to get a contact lens prescription after your trial ones work.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
mikazuki
三日月

File a complaint with your Attorney General Office (see your state's website for info). Legally they cannot withhold your prescription.
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Zhiana
Inspired Insanity

Did you end up sorting this out?

Oz Comic-Con Adelaide regina from [ once upon a time ]
Supanova Melbourne supergirl from [ dc comics ]
Supanova Sydney zatanna from [ smallville ]
Oz Comic-Con Melbourne ? from [ ? ]
Armageddon Melbourne wonder woman from [ justice league ]
Supanova Adelaide ? from [ ? ]
Zhiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
verdatum
Extremely registered user

According to this: http://www.allaboutvision.com/contac...ct-lens-rx.htm
US contact lens prescriptions must specify the brand. If you are attempting to order custom special FX lenses, you just need to figure out which brand you want and relay that to the doctor, and the doctor writes the brand name down. Under "Color" the doctor should also list the specific style you want (not that I understand why that needs to be there...whatever).

The term "Steepness" is related to "Base curve radius", one of the important measurements needed in selecting a properly fitting contact lens. I don't know enough to make any conjecture as to why steepness would be a problem in getting a contact lens prescription.

While they aren't doing a terribly good job at communicate with you, I'm not hearing any evidence that they are doing anything sneaky.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Also, circle lenses are not illegal in the US. When properly purchased from a valid retailer, such as visiondirect.com, with a prescription, they are fine. Pinkyparidise makes no mention of requiring a prescription, so it sounds like they are one of many companies operating in violation of the law.