Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3814 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #64096
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I worked out how to thread a needle when I was 13...God clearly has some interesting ideas.
Obviously you were created to thwart outdated gender stereotypes. You can thread a needle, bake. I bet you even clean! I don't think this friend would know what to do with you, you'd confuse her view on the world.

MOST PEOPLE CAN THREAD NEEDLES. It isn't a secret club!
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #64097
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
MOST PEOPLE CAN THREAD NEEDLES. It isn't a secret club!

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #64098
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
And I have this overwhelming urge to be snarky. But I won't because that'd be mean...
I feel badly for your friend, because she's clearly living in some seriously gendered shit. Maybe my feelings in that regard trump feelings of snark. My reaction is more of a "Here's why this is an unhealthy thing for women to live by." then outright snark.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #64099
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

My internet is being really fucking slow. It's intolerable.

TalkTalk, get your fucking shit together.

I was a friend's party last night, this was an actual exchange.

Me "I went through all of your old pizza boxes and ate all of the crusts."
Her "You are such a scab"
Me "If I had a spirit animal it would be a vulture."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #64100
Bisected8

Have you tried resetting the router? That sometimes helps when it's slow here.

Unread 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #64101
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Most girls do.
Yeah, but those of us who don't got pretty sick and tired of having princesses shoved down our throat when we were growing up. I wanted to be a paleontologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Also interestingly WoW movie is being directed by Duncan Jones of Source Code and Moon. Huh, maybe it wont be a pile of shit?
Every movie based on a video game has been awful. I don't expect that trend to end any time soon. I'd be surprised if a SotC movie actually gets made. I give it 3:1 odds against.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #64102
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Have you tried resetting the router? That sometimes helps when it's slow here.
My friend who lives on the other side of town is on Talk Talk and has been having the same trouble. Turning it off and on again hasn't helped, and that's about as technical as I get with routers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #64103
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Yeah, but those of us who don't got pretty sick and tired of having princesses shoved down our throat when we were growing up. I wanted to be a paleontologist.

Every movie based on a video game has been awful. I don't expect that trend to end any time soon. I'd be surprised if a SotC movie actually gets made. I give it 3:1 odds against.

I wanted to be a librarian on the Enterprise.
I wasn't making a comment on gender roles or ideals or the benefits or drawbacks of princesses. Spaz wants to makes some extra cash entertaining small children while dressed as princess. Arc said she just wanted an excuse to dress up as princess. I said most girls do. I apologize if a generalization I made at 2am was so offensive to you.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #64104
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
@ShinobiXikyu: What was your mum doing in an egg? =P
Technically we were in all in an egg at one point.... (to drive the point home, Mom always adresses my birthday card as "To my little egg"... >_>)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #64105
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Technically we were in all in an egg at one point.... (to drive the point home, Mom always adresses my birthday card as "To my little egg"... >_>)
Touché

Unread 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #64106
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I wanted to be a librarian on the Enterprise.
I wasn't making a comment on gender roles or ideals or the benefits or drawbacks of princesses. Spaz wants to makes some extra cash entertaining small children while dressed as princess. Arc said she just wanted an excuse to dress up as princess. I said most girls do. I apologize if a generalization I made at 2am was so offensive to you.
Dude. Chill. I agree with you - most girls do want to dress up as princesses. My only point was for those of us in the minority, it's irritating that virtually all media for little girls centers around princesses or pop singers. Even the more "modern" things, the message seems to be that you can be anything you want as long as, you know, you're a princess. Honestly - one of the most appealing things to me about MLP:FiM is that it's pretty much the only one that isn't like that.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #64107
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
I have several religous Facebook friends. They tend to keep the religous stuff to a minimum, and usually stuff like "At Church. God is awesome" and (my personal favorite) "Praying God will help me pass my finals" or photos with bible quotes on them.
Mildly annoying but not too bad. However yesterday one girl posted that she had proof the god was preparing her to be a wife and mother - She suddenly figured out how to thread a needle!

And I have this overwhelming urge to be snarky. But I won't because that'd be mean...
*chokes on mannicotti*

No... just... fucking... no...

Your friend is lucky I am not her friend... as I would be snarky as fuck

Hag- I WANT TO DRESS AS A PRINCESS AND AS A SKANKY ANGEL AND AS BOYS... YUS

But I get what you mean it's the media that forces things down the throats of children (not just girls but boys too) because of gender roles.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Last edited by BlondieSundae : 02-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #64108
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Wait, being able to sew is somehow synonymous with parenthood? My mom was pretty well the only one, compared to most of my friend's mothers, who could sew more than a patch or a button. (She made my bedroom curtains, my Halloween costumes, my pyjamas, hemmed my jeans once I grew up to be too damn short for normal hem lengths and before I learned myself, fixed all my favourite clothes, and taught ME how to sew..... compared to most of the others who couldn't get past "No, you have to KNOT the thread or it'll just keep pulling through".)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #64109
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

My mom is awesome at sewing. She had me learning how to use her sewing machine at 8 years old.

However, my favorite parent sewing memory is when the bottom of my high school backpack ripped out and my dad sewed it back up using suture thread. Usually he sticks to sewing up people.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #64110
belligerent
Viking Metal

That princesses website....I read all of it (mostly while drinking last night). It took me like halfway through before I realized who wrote it. Holy shit, that was a blast from the past. We used to talk on the internets around the time TOKYOPOP was doing its Rising Stars of Manga contest (she was a winner...then I eventually made it, as well, although she had a much larger degree of success than I did in that they actually published her stuff and didn't endlessly delay it). But then she got a contract with them and was like, too busy for talking or something? Can't remember, this was like ten years ago... Wow.

IT'S A REALLY SMALL WORLD I GUESS. AND I AM REALLY OLD.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote