Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3829 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #64111
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanarcah View Post
My mom is awesome at sewing. She had me learning how to use her sewing machine at 8 years old.

However, my favorite parent sewing memory is when the bottom of my high school backpack ripped out and my dad sewed it back up using suture thread. Usually he sticks to sewing up people.
That's pretty awesome. XD My grandma was a nurse and knew how to suture herself, but it never got demonstrated (despite me asking if she could show me how it was done). Fortunately my boyfriend's sister is ALSO a nurse and she explained just how sutures are done. I was TERRIFIED of getting them as a kid, but at the same time found the technique rather fascinating.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #64112
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Well, hello, thread, long time no see. How are things?

I'm just mad as hell right now. There's a really great little place near where I live called the Artisan's Emporium, and basically you rent a space and set up your own little shop and they have people who run the shop for you and you make money, all fun, right?
So since it's $75 a month, a friend and I were going to split it, but now she's invited a few new people in. They're making plushies and jewelry, and I'm making lolita skirts and cosplay items and some other clothing things.
Mine takes up a load more space than theirs, and they're all telling me that 1/4th of a 10x6 foot booth is plenty of space to put stuff.
And in all fairness, I can 'put stuff' there. But I can't DISPLAY stuff, can't put anything that will make people stop and come look at the booth. I'm just going to be the salesman rack in the corner with science-y printed skirts. No one's going to notice them or find them. In the other people's spaces, they can each put more than $600 worth of sell-able stuff. I'd be lucky to fit $100.
Yeah, sweet jesus, that's fair.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.

Last edited by Bodici22 : 02-03-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Sometiems I forget to not swear
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #64113
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Woooow. Your friend kinda flaked out on you huh? Sorta sounds like the other friends of hers wanted to third wheel you outta the table for their own display purposes. Maybe it would be better to save up the money and try your own table?

There's a similar sort of store I've gone to before, they called it an antiques shop but it was basically the same set up you mentioned. Some folks even had Avon cosmetics for sale o__O

You could see how the first month went for your sales and decide from there if it was worth it.

Try designing some good business cards (If you don't do design yourself my boyfriend does business graphic design stuff and could get something commissioned for you, graphic design just isn't my niche so you'd have to speak with him) and have them available on your table and included with any purchases you make. You could also try making up a small flyer, sort of like the ones passed out at anime cons, that have your personal information and websites you can be reached at. Include both these things not only on the table, but to be included with all purchases so folks have other methods of finding you.

The point of that is to give people other places to reach you at so if you decide to close the booth after the first month they have somewhere else to find you later on.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #64114
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Woooow. Your friend kinda flaked out on you huh? Sorta sounds like the other friends of hers wanted to third wheel you outta the table for their own display purposes. Maybe it would be better to save up the money and try your own table?
I'd LOVE to, but currently my paycheck pulls about $200 a month, a little bit less than that after taxes, and I need that for gas and incredibly stupidly expensive meds, so I can't find an extra $75 a month... Maybe see if I can find other friends, but I don't really want to deal with this whole problem again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
The point of that is to give people other places to reach you at so if you decide to close the booth after the first month they have somewhere else to find you later on.
That is the best idea, like stapling a business card into the garment almost like a tag.
Where could I contact your boyfriend regarding card designing?

EDIT oh joy, we're now having the most circular conversation i have ever had and I grew up as the daughter of a lawyer. I"m frellinging sick of this.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.

Last edited by Bodici22 : 02-03-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #64115
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Baw I'm sorry that happened to you Bodici, that's crappy of your friend.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #64116
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Baw I'm sorry that happened to you Bodici, that's crappy of your friend.
The thing is, I don't think she realizes that she's being crappy about it. She just keeps saying, "No, the rack will be by the wall!"

WHICH DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING.
I don't understand why she thinks that will change things.
Then she just said, "Well, think about it," and left.

WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT???????? I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Unread 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #64117
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodici22 View Post
I'd LOVE to, but currently my paycheck pulls about $200 a month, a little bit less than that after taxes, and I need that for gas and incredibly stupidly expensive meds, so I can't find an extra $75 a month... Maybe see if I can find other friends, but I don't really want to deal with this whole problem again.

That is the best idea, like stapling a business card into the garment almost like a tag.
Where could I contact your boyfriend regarding card designing?

EDIT oh joy, we're now having the most circular conversation i have ever had and I grew up as the daughter of a lawyer. I"m frellinging sick of this.
Yikes that's tough :\ I am sorry your friend's are buttin' you out of the table. My best idea would to try and get creative with how you display your pieces if you chose to stay with your friends plan but I understand that it's certainly not the most desirable situation..

We've opened up a studio over on dA that's still getting everything uploaded, or you can email him at tedbob84@hotmail.com directly.

This week we're finally getting Comcast out to the apartment. Hoorah! I just want to watch Animal Planet.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #64118
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

So. Warm Bodies is the holy grail of cinema from this day forward. That is all.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #64119
Lithium Flower
Handphones

So Brando has been in school for a few weeks now. He goes to a 3 hour class Monday and Wednesday mornings, then goes right to work for a 10 hour shift. On Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays, he has work from 10am-7pm. We live 40 minutes away from his work so on those days he gets up around 8am and get's home around 8pm. During day's he's in school he gets up at 7am.

Now, he also has a math class on Saturday for two hours. When he signed up for the class he was told it was a web-based class. Which turns out to mean you still need to come in every weekend for two hours and you do your work online. Ha. Ha. Ha..

That class required three hours of lab time. The class itself doesn't count.

"BUT HOW CAN BRANDON DO THAT WITH WORK!" You might say.

"THATS THE POINT!" I reply.

So for two weeks he's been going to his Monday and Wednesday class per usual but also going to the lab every other day as well just to get the lab hours in and be able to finish his homework and tests. Because, as you might have guessed, all homework and tests must be completed in the school lab and cannot be done at a home computer.

I am pretty sure he's going to drop dead any day now.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #64120
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I hope that brando does NOT do that
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #64121
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
So. Warm Bodies is the holy grail of cinema from this day forward. That is all.
I'm not even interested in seeing it.

...but I feel compelled to mention the brother of my coworker is an extra in that movie everytime it's mentioned (Like now).
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #64122
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I'm not even interested in seeing it.

...but I feel compelled to mention the brother of my coworker is an extra in that movie everytime it's mentioned (Like now).
NAME DROPPER
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #64123
Lithium Flower
Handphones

@Spazz;
Me too. Me too. He's asked his boss for Thursday off so hopefully he'll get a little break this week.

@Kildread;
My sister was an extra in that crappy Red Dawn remake with Thor!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #64124
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

The pellet stove is making me nervous. It's probably fine, but it took longer than usual to ignite and it had a ton of pellets in when it did (I had to max the blower and turn the feed down to almost nothing to even it out). And it hadalready been turned off and not vacuumed out before relightinng. So yah. Watching that thing like a hawk for the next hour.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #64125
J-Mirakuru
~*Mirakuru*~

Thanks everyone for compliments on my hair~

Alas, I have a pretty grody picture today. I burned my forearm pretty frickin bad while tending to my wood stove.

For those who are sensitive to these sorts of things, don't click the link.

This was taken about a minute after it happened, at the current moment it's all red and pussy and i can see my dermis ok.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...75998985_o.jpg

oh how I suffer.

~Cosplay History~
Maka Albarn; Soul Eater
Anarchy Stocking; P&SwG
Imp Midna; LoZ Twilight Princess
Megpoid Gumi; Vocaloid
Medli; Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
WORKING ON:
Goddess Madoka; Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sasha Brauss; Shingeki no Kyojin
Quote: