Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #76
hippiewriter
Socks.

I always forget to eat, even outside of cons. I am such a forgetful person about everything except whatever is #1 in my mind at the time, so it's not uncommon for me to go a day without eating even if I'm just lounging around the house that day. It's even worse at cons when I'm focused on going to events or when I'm working at a booth in the artist alley. I used to lose 3-6 pounds every time I went to a con, and I'm already kind of thin for my height. I had a bad scare at Comic Con a few years ago when I actually collapsed. Since then, my fiance has gotten really good about shoving food at me, so I usually get a meal most days when I'm at a con and I don't have any trouble with running out of energy due to lack of food. Now I don't lose more than a pound when I go to a con.
hippiewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #77
chubbyasianlove
Dat'Charmander

my most recent con(taiyoucon) for day 1 and day 2 all I had was one cup of taro/honeydew boba slush
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #78
Gummibar

It was the year 2011 at Saboten-con and I was entering the Masquerade with my friend. I hadn't eaten much and we wanted to eat, before we were stationed behind stage. I was very close to passing out from lack of substance while I ate. I felt terrible and even wanted to vomit. But after some slow breath's and finishing my meal, I slowly got better. From that day on, I always pack energy bars to avoid this dilemma.
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #79
JellySpIIrt
Hipster Loki is in.

I never remember to eat at cons, and even when I do, I don't eat enough.
I always bring water with me (refilling the bottle throughout the day), and usually a small bag of trail-mix or something, but due to convention center food being so expensive, I usually survive off of vending machine bags until getting back to the hotel room. D8

At Acen, I was modeling for a fashion show, which required the models to be there at 7/8am. Already, I hadn't gotten any sleep, but on top of that, none of us had eaten, so by the time I got back to the hotel room after seeing some panels I wanted to, I nearly passed out.
Another time I had a really bad experience with food was last year's AX. I had no money at all that day (really, I think I had like 75cents or less), and my friend had limited money on her as well, and she needed it to get back on the train. Luckily, we had discovered a small deli past the food trucks, and could afford salads, which was pretty good.

Facebook Fanpage
JellySpIIrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
iHateDuckButt
Cosplay Is So Gr8

I can't say I've forgotten to eat because I have felt hungry before at a con. The problem is that I'm still underage to drive so that's a big problem with me. And usually the people I'm with (until recently) are all underage too or just don't have cars. Nekocon has this little concession stand though so that was pretty awesome and helped me and stuff. But I honestly only remember eating a couple of things at that con. Like, I'd only remember to eat when my stomach is calling out for food and I'd sometimes just fill it with a liquid.

But reading these stories kind of make me laugh (although I haven't read them all so if there was a sad story, I'm not laughing at you!) Because I've seen many times on the facebook page of the cons I go to, "Remember to eat guys!" And well, I guess I kind of get the drift now. Hopefully I'll do better at AMA and next Nekocon about eating since I'll be able to drive!

AMA (Anime Mid Atlantic):

God Tier Jake English (Homestuck): 96%

LOMAX Jake English (Homestuck): 99%

Trickster!John Egbert (Homestuck): 100%

iHateDuckButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #81
Moonsong
daughter of evil

My friends and I always do a food run before conventions and we bring a lot of snacks and bottled water along to ensure that we all have something to eat just in case our roommates come back late, forget to get real food, or are short on cash. We buy stuff that is only for ourselves, and then stuff we share with the whole room, like bagels, pop tarts, ramen, oranges, etc.

I do my best to always eat at conventions, although I did have a few slip ups early on in my con-going career when I was young and stupid,and I dont ever wanna feel that crappy while I'm trying to have fun ever again. xD Now, I make sure to drink a lot of water and carry snacks in my purse if I know I wont be going back to the hotel for a long time. I also make sure to eat a nice filling dinner at the end of the day. xD

Its really not worth it to skip meals just to see that one panel if you end up feeling like crap or even passing out later. People, take advantage of complimentary breakfasts at your hotels, even if you have to get up earlier than you'd like! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, ya know.

Anime Expo & Otakon

★Shizuma (Strawberry Panic!) - 50% complete
★Saber EXTRA - 85% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #82
R-R-RADICAL
Zydrate Addict

I rarely eat when I'm at Otakon. It's so easy to get caught up in the con that I don't even realize I'm hungry until I'm walking back to the hotel at 10pm. I pretty much survive on breakfast and a really late meal for those 3 days.

Not really a horror story, though. It'll probably take more of a toll on me when I'm older.
R-R-RADICAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #83
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

The only real 'horror' story I have about not eating, wasn't even the fact that I didn't eat. It's that, I know I can't eat until after at least two hours of being awake at a con. And I ate breakfast, 30 minutes after getting up. I ended up throwing it all back up right before getting to the convention center. ): It wasn't pleasant.

Otherwise, I'm generally the one in my group that says "Hey I'm hungry, lets go eat. Because I know you guys aren't keeping up with your hunger." Depending on the con we're at will determine what we eat, since we don't bring our own food. But, it's something to keep us going. (Even if it's as gross as McDonalds. I always end up regretting eating it when I do. But it's cheap, and it doesn't involve me crossing an 8 lane road.)

What I am working on:
Wicked Lady - Sailor Moon
Ben Paul - The Walking Dead Game
Belarus - Hetalia
Wildcat - JKMM
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #84
Disasterbate
Shubadawoo!

I never listen to my friends at con time when it comes to eating. Ever, it seems.

At Sakuracon 2011, I was constantly pressured into eating by my cousin, my two friends, and my uncle whom I was at the convention with. I can't really think of a single time I ate that entire convention. I payed for it when I got home since I became really ill and ended up missing quite a few day's of school.

I can't really call that a "horror" story, but it still seems that I don't eat well at conventions. It's either junk food or nothing at all. Maybe it's a horror story since I never seem to learn my lesson. Haha.
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #85
Roboticgiraffe

I remember my first con I didn't eat anything at all. My friend was with me and she got a piece of pizza. I was going to get something but people are asking for your picture and before you know it, you're at the other end of the convention hall away from the food again. Haha. I really don't remember ever using the bathroom or drinking anything either...how I survived is a mystery xD

I carry granola bars and little peanut butter cups with me now. The peanut butter is great protein plus it tastes good! I also make sure I'm drinking plenty of water. If I think about it, sometimes I'll pack myself a pb&j sandwich or pb and raisins. Since it's kind of hard to keep things like fruits and veggies on hand while at the con all day I don't focus so much on what I'm eating just that I am eating something at all. Some things, like pizza and hot dogs, make me feel sick because I eat super healthy otherwise so like I can't eat those. But protein bars and things like that are good just for the day though to keep your energy levels up. Make sure you eat a really nice breakfast though!
Roboticgiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #86
Ilafatyu
That guy

I thought of a way to convince myself to eat more often. Bring or purchase food that fits the character. That way you can still convince yourself that you're doing con-things and not mundane-life-sustaining-activities. It might be hard to do, but I'm planning on drinking spiced orange tea while doing Judal things, and maybe snacking on an apple or two during the convention itself. It just seems right.

Any thoughts/ideas?

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #87
Touya no miko
TnM

I almost always forget to eat when I'm at cons. When I went to my second con, all I had to eat was a bowl of cereal that morning. Luckily, I haven't fainted from lack of food since my body fat kept me sustained. Nor ever felt hungry. However, one of my cosplay buddies is hypoglycemic so she absolutely has to eat something. Otherwise, she'll start shaking and get super cranky. I remembered at last year's Fanime, we were waiting in line for hours due to a power outage. We only had taco bell since that morning, and we were totally starving.

Nowadays I remember to eat and even pack some snacks in my purse. Since I stay at hotels now, my group and I try to at least store some PB & J sandwiches, bottles of water, and fruit. If our hotel has a fridge, we even bring lunch meat and milk. I try to avoid filling up on ramen noodles because the saltiness makes me more dehydrated.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #88
MedusaBeheaded

When I go to cons, my friends and I almost always make sure to stay in a hotel with free continental breakfast if we can, and we usually at least bring a rice maker and a cooler. We usually eat at least two meals a day, only going to a restaurant on the last day when we're on our way home. In addition, I make a point to carry apple slices, pretzels, and water to munch on during the day. It's not the healthiest option exactly, but it's better than surviving on chips and candies.
MedusaBeheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #89
Cloud_Ninja
Procrastanator Extrodinar

I usually don't eat much when I'm away from home or the hitel room because I hate people I'm not close to seeing me eat, it's been like that since I was a child, usually I only eat at cons in the hotel room or if whoever I've gone with drags me to somewhere secluded so I can eat without strangers seeing me. Also because I can't eat much junk food without becoming sick and an allergy to some food dyes I usually bring my own food, even if the con's rules state no outside food. I also pack several collapsable water bottles, since they are flexible so can be bent to fit around anything in a bag and once empty take up barely any room so I can put any purchased items or parts of my costume in at the end of the con when I'm heading back to the hotel or riding the train home.

Working On

Companion Cube gijinka - Portal
Red Pyro - Team Fortress 2
Meulin Leijon - Homestuck
Cloud_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #90
Talismand

Kinda funny story the very last last JACON ever a buddy of mine and i decided we were going to enjoy the whole thing and made a vow to not sleep at all. Of course not sleeping led to entertaining ourselves with the mass amount of ppl who did the same (JACON never closes and there is always something going on) this lead to us going to almost ever panel meeting up with the nicest people and drinking nothing but bawls for the whole con (not sure how i didnt get a caffine overdose and drop dead XD ) The only real food that was consumed was a huge bag of skittles that i had brought to eat. It was well worth the effort but when i got home i ate so much food my parents wondered who i was (I don't eat so much and when i do i eat slowly) after that i went to bed and slept for 2 days 0.o It's something i dont plan on repeating ever but honestly if i had managed my time a bit better and at least picked up some chips or something it may have gone better...i miss JACON
Talismand is offline   Reply With Quote