Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 119 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #301
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

The cloak looks great! I love the fabric's subtle pattern.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #302
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
Finally, success! Red's cloak is done!

Have some blurry pictures

It's a might heavier than I thought, but once it's on it's not too too bad.
I love the flowey look of your cloak!

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #303
Arlette
Let it Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
Finally, success! Red's cloak is done!

Have some blurry pictures

It's a might heavier than I thought, but once it's on it's not too too bad.
Pretty! I like the drape, it looks good! I just watched the first 10 episodes of the first season today while I worked on costumes, and I noticed that in the Pilot, Red's outfit/cloak was TOTALLY different.

Check it out!

I really love this look, do you guys think anyone has done this outfit before?

::EDIT::

And to contribute something actually useful to the thread, here is some progress on my Rumple cloak.

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!

Last edited by Arlette : 02-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #304
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

@Medhia/Touchmon/Arlette - Thanks guys!

@Arlette - Whoa. I completely missed that. Solid red cloak, and what, a red turtle neck under that? Looks like she's got long black leather gloves instead of her red. Huh. I guess when it comes to pilots they haven't full established the character yet, so maybe this was an in progress look? (Probably easier too. Tracking down the long red leather gloves was special, and yet their black counterpart were so much more readily availible.)

The details on Rumple's cloak look great. Are those studs on the arrow bits?

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #305
DanceFloorDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievalGirl View Post
Ha. I found it. The fabric for Snow's Riding doublet is Robert Allen Diamond Tuft. Once I had the name and searched on that I realized it had come up before many times. However it was so poorly photographed that I couldn't see the pattern. It comes in both white and natural and I guess the white would work better. There is even a local place that has it.
You are a god for finding that fabric. I've been running searches for days and apparently I'm not entirely great at finding fabric online.

Since Snow's war council outfit is one I fell in love with when I saw it, I have to do it. I'd LOVE to get it done by Nan Desu Kan 2013 but I don't know how well I'll stick to that timeline especially since I recently just got back in cosplay. I'm sure I've nearly forgotten how to sew. xD

In terms of Snow's war council outfit though, I managed to snap a few(albeit blurry) screen shots of the Entertainment Weekly video and while he was holding up Snow's jacket I noticed that it has a bit of a split and what I coined 'cheat snap' on the bottom of the jacket before it flares out and it's cleverly hidden under the belt. You can also see that the shirt that is oozing from her sleeves is a separate shirt, and previously I was going to make it a pull over top until I found out this. As for the lining, it looks like a satin sort of material, judging by various shots of the sun having a tendency to 'shine' off of the material.
Screen1
Screen2

Her sleeves make my life a lot easier. As a general quirk, I hate attaching sleeves to anything and this is basically making tubes and attaching them with what looks, strangely, like twine with more Swarovski crystals at the ends.
Upper Sleeve Detail
Full Sleeve Detail

Here you can also see another snap holding the top of her jacket together where it meets, the fabric pattern of the belt which seems to be a shiny crisscross pattern and the detailed piece in the middle, and you can also see a bit more of the pattern of the accompanying cloak. I'm thinking it's a lightly furred flower or vine pattern but I haven't found any really good images to compare that idea to. The lining of the cape you can see is a type of satin, or at least shiny satin-esque material.
Jacket&Cape
Cape Side-Zoom
Cape Bias
Cape Inner

Another thing I was struggling with was trying to figure out if the draped skirt was one single piece or if it was split into four panels. Turns out it is four different panels attached to the inside of the jacket and flowing from there. In terms of figuring out what the skirt is made of, I figured I'd just go with a nice Egyptian cotton in a cream or color as close to the Robert Allen color swatch as I can get.
Skirt Side
Skirt Back
Skirt Back2
Belt Back

The EW interviewer said her pants were made of leather but the more I study screen shots of her outfit, the more I'm convinced its just the front of her pants that have the leather while the backside of her pants are a more breathable material in keeping with the practicality of riding breeches. One could simply buy a pair of riding breeches rather than construct them as it seems to me they are made almost identically.

The most frustrating part to me are her boots. Knee-length and light coffee brown, they seem to have only a small buckle on the back side of the boots They are plain leather flat boots with an almost non-existent heel and have a zipper running on the side of them. I'm currently hunting through various websites for a similar or exact pair and if I find them, I'll definitely post them.
Boots Back1
Boots2

I should be sleeping... So, uh, yeah, and that's my breakdown for anyone else looking to do this costume. We can swap info and whatnot. Wheeeeeeee....
DanceFloorDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #306
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceFloorDoll View Post
I should be sleeping... So, uh, yeah, and that's my breakdown for anyone else looking to do this costume. We can swap info and whatnot. Wheeeeeeee....
Well done, comrade, well done. Now that's a costume breakdown. And sleep? Nah, sleep is for the idea-less.

Man, I love that outfit so much. I just want that jacket and tails for my own mad purposes, heck with the costuming.

All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #307
MedievalGirl

Thank You for the break down Dance Floor Doll. That's awesome. I especially love the back views. I didn't think of the scene where the soldiers dump her on the ground. Perhaps I get too angsty seeing that beautiful white fabric in the dirt.

I'm all too good at fabric shopping. The 20 boxes of fabric that had to be moved from my old house to my new house last month are a sad sad example of that.
MedievalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #308
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

It is a great fabric!
http://warehousefabricsinc.com/Merch...&range _high=

For Regina's dress I'm still looking but found to potential ones. Except that they are $50 per yard and i need 9 yards. >_< I'll link them once i have a swatches in hand. Damn you Mood fabrics and your high NYC/LA prices.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #309
siyrean

I feel like they purposely cut the scenes specifically to never show which boots Emma's wearing with which outfit. ...Unless it's a night scene, then it's okay to show them... when you can barely see them

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #310
aimee
it's a sparkly!

that diamond fabric is SO SQUEE.

Cool breakdown dancefloordoll
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #311
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

Here another option fromt he same site.
http://warehousefabricsinc.com/Merch...w=&range_high=

And this I'm just bookmarking for me.
http://warehousefabricsinc.com/Merch...w=&range_high=

If it come down to it I'm willing to paint on top of the texture pattern to get the colours I need for Regina. I just hate the look of a flat pattern fabric for her and have a full arsenal of Jacquard fabric paint locally at my disposal.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #312
DanceFloorDoll

I actually found a site that sells the fabric for just under 20$ a yard, (click hurr) and since I can't find it cheaper (anywhere!), I'm definitely buying the bajeezus out of it with my tax return. XD And when I get a chance, I'm actually editing my previous post about the under-doublet shirt.

After staring at the video some more, I realized that my pet peeve will be realized, I'm definitely going to have to attach sleeves since it's a faux shirt. I'm going to guess that the piece in the front that acts as more of a modesty panel than an actual shirt. Or maybe its a tank top made of the same material as the fabric peeking from the sleeves. I'm not sure but either way, me no like. But I want it so bad, it's so pretty.

Last edited by DanceFloorDoll : 08-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
DanceFloorDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #313
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Very sad to find out that my OuAT group is falling apart. Both the person who wants to cosplay Belle and the one who wants to be Rumple lost their jobs. And my Snow is having trouble too. I am going to be a lonely Red. T_T

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #314
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Soo.....incoming Jacks, anyone? Was having one of those "you know you're a cosplayer when" moments, during the episode, when I found myself with thoughts like:

New character. Break it down.
Green. Green is good.
Bodice is kinda low for me.
Good layering, though.
Leather? Or some sort of silk?
Plot, Moofy. There is a plot. Not just costumes.
Snirk. James and his evil black puffy shirt.

On my end, Red's skirt's almost done! Just need to create that tack up point and it should be good to go. Next up will be petticoat, when I have a chance to monopolize the dining room table for fabric cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
Very sad to find out that my OuAT group is falling apart. Both the person who wants to cosplay Belle and the one who wants to be Rumple lost their jobs. And my Snow is having trouble too. I am going to be a lonely Red. T_T
Ugh, that's no fun. Maybe you will luck out and you will run into other cosplayers, though! What con are you debuting it at?

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #315
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

What I was most intrigued about was the teaser for next weeks episode. I think everyone guesses where right about Baelfire.

I also thought it was brilliant watching Rumpel freaking out with a direct sense of his lose of power.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale