Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

Beating con depression!

Its about that time of year (for me anyway) when con depression sets in. I have months and months until my next anime con and I wish I could go to one sooner!!

Some of you get to go to Katsucon and Anime Boston, you lucky ducks >.>

But in the off season, its hard to beat con depression.

What do you do to cure it? :3

2013 Conventions
PAX East | AnimeNEXT | Otakon

Past Cosplays
Shizuma Hanazono (Strawberry Panic) | IA (Vocaloid) | Misa Amane

This Year's Cosplays
FEM!Hikaru (OHSHC) [group cosplay] | Hatsune Miku - Love Philosophia (Vocaloid)

Tumblr | MyFitnessPal | DeviantArt
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I totally understand where you are coming from. Tends to happen to me quite a bit. Personally, I try to work on new projects or get hooked on a new series! Putting lots of work into my cosplays always seems to do it for me, plus it means my costume will be done in time New series always help too! It helps me get more pumped for the con when I realize I can connect with more people because I have a broader range of series we can both relate too
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

Some of us get to go to AB, but some of us, even though we live a half hour away, don't get to. That's life, bro.

What I'd suggest is perfecting your cosplay, attending meetups and shoots, learning a new cosplay-related skill (or non-cosplay-related, whatever you want), gabbering with everyone here, drawing stuff, and indulge your nerdiness in other ways.

Alternatively, start working out or get a new hobby to fill in your time. If you're busy, you don't have time to be depressed over things like not having a convention to attend.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

I'm not too quick on completing cosplays. Around this time of year is when I'm planning my next one. Probably within a month I'll be starting to work on it. With a semi-conscious countdown going on in my head of how much time I have left and knowing the rate at which I work, I usually get pretty pumped about working on stuff. Working on the cosplay that I'll be using for he next con is how I can really stave off that feeling.

That, or getting more into one of my other hobbies, and procrastinating on my costume.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I understand that the letdown after a con is rough; I go through it for a few days every year after AX. But to call it a depression is a bit of an over exaggeration don't you think? Depression after all is a very serious medical condition and I'm pretty sure that someone suffering from depression is suffering far more than many of us are for the few days or week after a con.

Sorry to be preachy, but I have a couple friends suffering from clinical depression and it just rubs me the wrong way when people compare the return to the real world after a con to a 'depression'...I'll step off of my soapbox now.

That said, to counteract the letdown I would suggest catching up on your anime, start planning new cosplays (which I do after every con now) or hang out/keep in touch with con friends as much as possible. For me, the key is to pack my schedule full of other activities throughout the year and before you know it, it's time for another con!
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Be depressed about other stuff XD

What I do actually is try to plan for whatever the next con is by trying to figure out new cosplay and so on
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
emmisu
King of Toast

Ahh I miss the days of having short times between cons. Or even just a few months

Since starting college I've only been able to go to one con a year ;_;

(hopefully changing this for artist alley stuff!)

Basically, I have school to focus on so I do that mostly. But I'll rewatch stuff or work on costumes if I have time/money to do so. I guess for me, I just find other things to focus on (like adventure time, game of thrones, etc other shows)
And try not to think about cons for a while

Also haven't cosplayed in a year /cry

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

@animejunkie: I COMPLETELY an overexagagerated what I meant! D: I really just wanted to call it something that I know a lot of people refer to it as. I didn't mean to offend or upset you by calling it depression. I know it's not actually the condition, and I didn't mean to make light of it either. ): Sorry sorry sorry!

2013 Conventions
PAX East | AnimeNEXT | Otakon

Past Cosplays
Shizuma Hanazono (Strawberry Panic) | IA (Vocaloid) | Misa Amane

This Year's Cosplays
FEM!Hikaru (OHSHC) [group cosplay] | Hatsune Miku - Love Philosophia (Vocaloid)

Tumblr | MyFitnessPal | DeviantArt
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
trmbngrl
Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
I understand that the letdown after a con is rough; I go through it for a few days every year after AX. But to call it a depression is a bit of an over exaggeration don't you think? Depression after all is a very serious medical condition and I'm pretty sure that someone suffering from depression is suffering far more than many of us are for the few days or week after a con.

Sorry to be preachy, but I have a couple friends suffering from clinical depression and it just rubs me the wrong way when people compare the return to the real world after a con to a 'depression'...I'll step off of my soapbox now.

That said, to counteract the letdown I would suggest catching up on your anime, start planning new cosplays (which I do after every con now) or hang out/keep in touch with con friends as much as possible. For me, the key is to pack my schedule full of other activities throughout the year and before you know it, it's time for another con!
MFW clinical depression makes you too numb to give a shit about someone throwing around the word.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiizuma View Post
@animejunkie: I COMPLETELY an overexagagerated what I meant! D: I really just wanted to call it something that I know a lot of people refer to it as. I didn't mean to offend or upset you by calling it depression. I know it's not actually the condition, and I didn't mean to make light of it either. ): Sorry sorry sorry!
Don't worry about it, I'm not offended at all, no need to apologize ^_^. I just wanted to make the point that it's not healthy for anyone to allow themselves to be depressed after the end of a convention.

I'll be the first to admit that after five days of being among fellow otaku and being fully immersed in the experience of a con that returning to real life is not the easiest thing to do...I've had periods where it took me over a week to finally get over a con (I think that was post AX 2011). I forgot to mention, but if there are any anime groups in your area you should join one to meet fellow otaku year round (if you aren't already); that's another good way to pass the time between cons.
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

OOC cosplay! Or buy lots of anime/TV shows DVDs to watch. Work on your cosplays bit by bit.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #12
daylight
Sugar Junkie

plan more cosplay projects, plan for your next con
for me, its the only thing that helps
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #13
ghosgreen

I admit I used to get a little con depression afterwards but honestly not anymore. I'm busy making new plans, or doing upgrades or repairs so I'm kept very much busy in the off season especially when my friends come up with new ideas and I'm working my butt off making the next whim they have. Heck after this con in march I gotta help my friend with his costume for Dragon Con. Point is keeping busy is a good way to get your mind of it oh and stay in contact with your con friends if possible. That's also a good one.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I tend to start working on new cosplays, or start planning them out. Also talking with friends who you made at the last con seems to help me too.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I tend to frequent the forums of the con; I love reading experiences people had, seeing pictures from photoshoots, etc...
Other than that I usually reminisce with my friends, maybe work on some new cosplay projects.
I only go to one or two cons a year. Last year it happened to be three, but that usually doesn't happen, so I'm used to waiting a while for the next con.