Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
detenten

Do you like website tutorials or videos?

I am curious as I'm considering posting some tutorials of cosplays I've made to give back to the Cosplay community. I personally prefer reading through a written tutorial with still pictures, but I've found a lot of video tutorials are also popular.

What's your preferred format, and why?
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

I prefer written tutorials with pictures. A lot of times, video tutorials are filled with talky-talky fluff that I don't care about. It can take two, three, five minutes to get to the actual tutorial section of the video, and even then, it takes foreverlong to see the parts. You have to sit and wait for everything, while with a written tutorial, you can take a look, read what you want, save pieces of the tut into a notepad document, glance back at it later, jump around where you want to...

It's why I prefer manga to anime, too.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

For me, it's actually a lot harder to follow plain text..Watching video's is actually the best way for me to learn over all, but to answer the specific of text to pics, I would have to go with pics. lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
heaven_firings

I like text and image tutorials better. But it has to have both because I'm a visual learner. It's a nice bonus when a text/image tutorial is accompanied by a video, even if it isn't right away. Videos are helpful if the subject matter is of a more complicated process or assembly. Even videos of only a certain part that has been addressed as hard to understand can be helpful.

Another reason I prefer text/image is load time. Video sharing sites for me seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to how fast they're gonna load and I HATE buffer. Plus, I listen to music while working so if I'm watching a video there's sound that is most likely needed which means no music.
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Krds014

If you're going to make tutorials, I feel that images with good detailed descriptions are your best bet. As others said, video tutorials can be helpful but take a while to get to the point. Just be sure to have really good progress shots for each step because that will make it helpful to follow!! (But if you do happen to make a video, then you should definitely edit it to make it concise!)
Krds014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Dalibar
Obey Your Master

I prefer text with pictures most of the time. Its easier to follow for me. I like to be able to easily jump back and forth between the information I need without skipping around a video. Videos can get off topic and often drag each step out showing the entire process of even simple tasks.

Some tutorials like how to cut/style a wig I would prefer a video. That way you can SEE the method and movements the person uses. But majority of the time I would chose text. Very helpful if you want a paper copy to print out and follow while you work, too.

edit: I also like to play music while I work and I hate pausing my song to listen to the next step lol

Last edited by Dalibar : 02-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Dalibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
detenten

Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like I'm not alone in my tutorial preferences! Thank goodness, too, because I hate hearing my voice played back to myself on a video
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote