Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #2116
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I've decided to try and save money by making my coffee liqueur. The supermarket own brand rum, coffee, vanilla pods and sugar all came to about £5 more than a large bottle of Tia Maria, and if all goes well I'll be able to make almost twice that much. =3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I found a recipe for homemade limoncello that I really want to make. I had a little at an over priced Italian restaurant not too long ago and it was yummy.
I think infusing liqueurs is pretty easy. Once I made limoncello using a Martha Stewart recipe; it didn't take long to make and was pretty tasty.

Bisected, what kind of coffee are you using? You'll probably get the best results if it's a really dark roast, espresso would be ideal. Vanilla pods are crazy expensive, though.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #2117
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I have four days in a row eating beef, I'm tired about it so today when I'm having lunch outside I'll look for chicken, pork squid, shrimp, fish, vegetarian... Anything but beef!!!

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 02-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #2118
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I think infusing liqueurs is pretty easy. Once I made limoncello using a Martha Stewart recipe; it didn't take long to make and was pretty tasty.

Bisected, what kind of coffee are you using? You'll probably get the best results if it's a really dark roast, espresso would be ideal. Vanilla pods are crazy expensive, though.
I'm using espresso, darkest roast I could find (based on the advice I got from consulting a few recipes, I didn't bother with the really expensive blends just the midrange Sainsbury's own brand stuff). I happen to own an old fashioned espresso maker (the sort you put on the hob), so I've brewed it with that for tomorrow.

I don't know how much vanilla pods cost in the USA, but they cost about £2 each here, which isn't much for about two bottles.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #2119
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
I'm using espresso, darkest roast I could find (based on the advice I got from consulting a few recipes, I didn't bother with the really expensive blends just the midrange Sainsbury's own brand stuff). I happen to own an old fashioned espresso maker (the sort you put on the hob), so I've brewed it with that for tomorrow.

I don't know how much vanilla pods cost in the USA, but they cost about £2 each here, which isn't much for about two bottles.
I wish I had an espresso maker. Or at least a coffee grinder. I find I use a lot of espresso for baking and I have to use the instant stuff because we don't even have a coffee maker anymore.

From what I understand, there are places you can buy or order vanilla beans in bulk pretty cheaply. The thing is, how often do I use whole pods? Possibly once a year? So even if they keep for a year or two, it's a waste of money unless I have lots of friends to share them with. Which I don't.

Going into the market and getting a bottle of maybe 3 or 4 scrawny, dry, ugly vanilla pods will probably cost you $15. That's, what, $4 or $5 a pod? Penzey's is a big spice distributor in the U.S. and even theirs are over $3 a pod. I'm guessing that they were probably the costliest ingredient, though, even counting the rum.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #2120
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Find me any biscuit more delicious than shortbread and I'll...erm...change my opinion.

Unread 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #2121
harmonyisarine

I learned that you can make homemade marshmallows. Guess what I've been doing since Christmas?
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #2122
Kumoshi
Just a cowardly montblanc

Had some pad thai last night, and yuan xiao (since it's the Lunar New Year).

Planned Cosplays:
- Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)
- Levi (Shingeki no Kyojin)
(Suggestions are always welcome~)
Kumoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #2123
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
I learned that you can make homemade marshmallows. Guess what I've been doing since Christmas?
I did marshmallows as gifts at Christmas, too, and while I haven't gotten around to making another batch, I am desperate to try it again. It was so easy! And fun! And delicious!

There are a lot of recipes in here that I want to try.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2124
nonsensicality
batterwitc)(

I recently made a batch of lemon and almond tea cakes from the Tartine cookbook. It took forever to make because every time I finished one part of the recipe, it called for an ingredient that I didn't have at the time. Despite that, they ended up super delicious, and taste wonderful with earl grey and a bit of lemon.
I'm trying to make one pastry from that cookbook a week, because I really love baking.
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #2125
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I did marshmallows as gifts at Christmas, too, and while I haven't gotten around to making another batch, I am desperate to try it again. It was so easy! And fun! And delicious!

There are a lot of recipes in here that I want to try.
Oh my god, I think I need that book! I've tried both basic type recipes I found (one with egg whites and one without) and now I'm trying a vegetarian one for a friend of mine. I don't know where I'll go after that!
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #2126
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Find me any biscuit more delicious than shortbread and I'll...erm...change my opinion.
All biscuits should be measured by hot beverage dunkability as well as taste. Shortbread comes up high, but not trumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #2127
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'd like shortbread more if it didn't always fall to pieces with even a small dunk into liquids. (Man, dunno the last time I had cookies with tea or milk. Or cookies at all.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #2128
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

This thread is making me hungry.

I've actually been trying to eat better so as to lose the flab on my stomach. :I It's been super hard. I'm super picky, and most of my former meals consisted of junk food..
What I've been really into right now is buttermilk biscuits. My god. As if bread and all it's forms weren't perfect enough.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #2129
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
All biscuits should be measured by hot beverage dunkability as well as taste. Shortbread comes up high, but not trumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'd like shortbread more if it didn't always fall to pieces with even a small dunk into liquids. (Man, dunno the last time I had cookies with tea or milk. Or cookies at all.)
Shortbread is more of a snack biscuit than something you have with tea and coffee. Rich tea and digestives are where it's at for dunking as far as I'm concerned (ginger snaps are good too though).

Unread 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #2130
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Shortbread is more of a snack biscuit than something you have with tea and coffee. Rich tea and digestives are where it's at for dunking as far as I'm concerned (ginger snaps are good too though).
I though ginger snaps taste better on their own. Their main attraction other than their gingeriness is their snappy/crunchiness which is a quality lost once you dunk it in hot liquid.

Chocolate hobnobs are the best biscuit. Full marks for dunking and taste. Followed by brandy snaps, shortbread, Bourbons, and jam dodgers (not the brand names ones, the nice ones you get in selection tins with jam and cream.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote