Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.93 average.
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #1156
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
I've been hearing stuff lately that fans who wanted to host a panel at AX, will now be charged for each panel. (I heard that it was going to be around the range of $300 per panel.)

If this is true, AX will be the first anime or sci-fi con in history to charge their fans for their panels. (Like the Masquerade.)

I'm really hoping that it really isn't true, and what I've been hearing lately is just a fluke. I'm also really hoping that fan panels will continue to be free.
I know this is just a rumor, but that is BEYOND ridiculous.
And most cosplayers/anime fans/whatever I know wouldn't want to spend THAT much money just to run a panel.
....just wanted to put that out there.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #1157
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I know this is just a rumor, but that is BEYOND ridiculous.
And most cosplayers/anime fans/whatever I know wouldn't want to spend THAT much money just to run a panel.
....just wanted to put that out there.
Well it is a 501(c6) after all, not a 501(c3).
If my company wants to host an "info session" at NAB, the rate is $11,000.00 That, for a room that seats 150. And if I want a booth in the exhibit hall, a small 10'x10' booth is $4250.00; a 20'x20', $17,000.00

They probably believe "we're doing you a really big favor, by only charging a couple hundred for a panel."
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #1158
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I like Danny Choo as well, I think at this point he is to AX what Tadao Tomatsu(?) is to ALA.

Also, I really hope that that rumor is just that, a rumor...because charging for a panel to begin with is just ridiculous when even Comic Con doesn't do that. Much less that amount? AX will sign their own death wish if they actually tried to pull that stunt. I would think that fan panels make up a pretty decent percentage of the overall panel schedule so to alienate that leaves gaping holes in the schedule...and really sours AX's reputation which they've worked so hard to repair after Lattanzio put it in the crapper in 2010

FB: The Casual Otaku

Anime Expo 2016 cosplay plans (subject to change)

Day 0: Casual maid Maki Nishikino (Love Live)
Day 1: Mikuru Asahina/Yuki Nagato(?) (TMoHS - summer uniform)
Day 2: You Watanabe (Love Live Sunshine - school uniform)
Day 3: Ami Mizuno (Sailor Moon - winter uniform)
Day 4: Casual maid cosplay or Yui Hirasawa (K-ON - summer uniform)
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1159
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

Yeah, it seems ridiculous (to put it mildly) to have to pay someone to provide content for them. :P For AX's sake, I hope it's just a rumor.
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #1160
Robert San

I noticed a post about the hotels, and when I checked the cmr housing link it looked like the only days sold out were the days before or after the convention...? Does anyone know why would the days before it sell out but not the main 3 nights?
Robert San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #1161
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

My best theory would be that they didn't book as many of the shoulder days of the convention as a lot of people generally arrive and leave on the days of the convention. Not as many people stay the day before or day after.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #1162
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArboACHG View Post
Yeah, it seems ridiculous (to put it mildly) to have to pay someone to provide content for them. :P For AX's sake, I hope it's just a rumor.
Yeah it's definitely ridiculous to say the least. There is no way that AX would be able to put any kind of positive spin on that. After all, what is earned in attendee registrations, merchandising and main event tickets should all be going right back into the convention as is the case with non profits, save for a couple of senior management positions I suppose. To charge for panels (any amount) would just go to show that there are still some huge issues with the management of funds related to the con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
My best theory would be that they didn't book as many of the shoulder days of the convention as a lot of people generally arrive and leave on the days of the convention. Not as many people stay the day before or day after.
Seems like the best reason; most of my friends don't show up until Day 1 and leave on Day 4 because they don't want to pay the extra hotel nights, but it would seem that more and more people are catching onto the idea of staying Day 0 as room nights were gone pretty quickly. Wouldn't know about the day after though...

Unread 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #1163
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Otakon has already announced TM Revolution and Home Made Kazoku as guests
You might want to see this; http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...12#post4615712
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #1164
choxie-chan
Hayaku… furimuite!

No Nokia this year either?
Hmmmm this doesn't look good for AX Idol and Battle of the Bands either
Speaking of AX Idol/BoTB I know that BoTB is happening for sure but what about AX Idol?

I was expecting Nokia this year but although I did buy my badge, I may have to not go to AX if AX Idol won't happen either =__= well, it's not the end of the world though.

Cons I'll Probably Attend
Anime California 2016?
TouhouCon?
Anime Los Angeles 2017?
choxie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #1165
Mariks_Dragon
Distroyer of Yami

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxie-chan View Post
No Nokia this year either?
Hmmmm this doesn't look good for AX Idol and Battle of the Bands either
Speaking of AX Idol/BoTB I know that BoTB is happening for sure but what about AX Idol?

I was expecting Nokia this year but although I did buy my badge, I may have to not go to AX if AX Idol won't happen either =__= well, it's not the end of the world though.
They are having a battle of the bands.

Goddess from Speed Grapher

Szayel Aporro Granz Released from Bleach
Mariks_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #1166
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

BotB is happening for sure...but about AX Idol, not so sure. AX Idol was largely Bang Zoom's event that they sponsored and hosted in conjunction with AX, so it's as much their own event as it is AX's...Bang Zoom decided to go in a different direction last year and whether or not that worked for them, I don't know. Time will only tell if AX Idol returns this year...but that shouldn't be the reason that keeps you from going to AX.

As far as no Nokia? That's a bummer, yes...but I'm sure AX has their reasons for not using it. I think we got spoiled the few times that we did have access to those venues, no other con does that I don't think. Personally, while I'd prefer Nokia over Hall G for main events, Hall G wasn't a bad venue last year in my opinion

Unread 02-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #1167
Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
As far as no Nokia? That's a bummer, yes...but I'm sure AX has their reasons for not using it. I think we got spoiled the few times that we did have access to those venues, no other con does that I don't think. Personally, while I'd prefer Nokia over Hall G for main events, Hall G wasn't a bad venue last year in my opinion
I don't think we were "spoiled" per se. I think the money to use it by this convention is possible if their money is well-managed. Up to 2011's end, I don't think it was. In 2012, it was well managed, but the red ink was only drawn down, not eliminated. It was brought in the right direction. However, the right direction apparently didn't work for the SPJA Board and they excised the person primarily responsible for that draw down.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1168
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
I don't think we were "spoiled" per se. I think the money to use it by this convention is possible if their money is well-managed. Up to 2011's end, I don't think it was. In 2012, it was well managed, but the red ink was only drawn down, not eliminated. It was brought in the right direction. However, the right direction apparently didn't work for the SPJA Board and they excised the person primarily responsible for that draw down.
To me, Nokia is like putting the horse ahead of the carriage, the real question is will they be able to find the A-class musical talent to fill whatever venue they choose. Nokia or no Nokia.

At one time, AX could be counted on to bring in a few A-class stars who had never been seen in the US before. But today, it's honestly starting to seem like the talent that fans actually want to see is ending up elsewhere, or they're doing it themselves.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #1169
Freight

I agree. Most of the acts that would have been there or have been there before, I've seen at other conventions. Repeat business by big Japanese stars at AX is low.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #1170
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Did anyone get an email from AX for a musical GoH survey? I find it odd they only went as far back as 2010 and they did not list every single musical that performed within that two year span (Megumi Nakajima and RSP from 2010 were not listed). It asked who do you prefer to see and it asked if they came back, would you buy a ticket? They also listed J-Drama/K-Drama actors as a selection for other GoHs you want to see, I was like "Really?". I'm not sure where they are getting at with this survey.
Interested in joining our ranks? Click on the links above.

Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013, 2015
Anime Expo 2006-2011, 2015
Wondercon - 2013, 2015
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
Hanadoki Con - 2015

Last edited by El_Duque : 02-26-2013 at 08:59 AM.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote