Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 174 votes, 4.83 average.
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1156
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Guess all we can do is wait and see...I'm still bummed that Sakura Con is getting a bunch of SAO guests, don't even get me started on Otakon getting TM Revolution :/
You have to keep in mind that, AX has just gotten out of their financial mess of a huge debt of $1.2 million, so don't be surprised if there's going to be a lot more cutbacks for AX in the future. (It was Hcoregamer00 who finally balanced the books, and not Marc Perez.)

Also, don't be surprised if more fees are charged to the fans in the future. AX is the only anime or sci-fi convention in history that charges a fee for their Masquerade. Most of the anime cons don't charge for their concerts either, and their concerts are also included in the badge price. (This is not so with AX.)

Financially speaking, Sakuracon, Fanime, Otakon, & DragonCon are all doing much better compared to AX, so they can afford to get really good guests & perks. (AX is still trying to recover financially, due to ex-CEO Micheal Lattanzio, and Marc Perez's financial mismanagement.)

AnimeLA is also doing much better financially, so they can afford perks like free water for their attendees. (Those cons are taking a step forward, while AX is taking a step backwards financially.)

And to be frank, with a $1.2 million debt record like that, I wouldn't trust Marc Perez to manage my taxes, investments, or business. (Would you really trust someone who helped incurred a $1.2 million in debt to do your taxes, investments, business or finances? Heck, I'll end up bankrupt within a week!)

Right now, AX can't even afford the Nokia Theatre. (Which brings to the question, what's the point of staying in LA, and paying several times more than in Anaheim, when you can't even afford the Nokia theatre?)

Last edited by Hakaider : 02-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #1157
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
You have to keep in mind that, AX has just gotten out of their financial mess of a huge debt of $1.2 million, so don't be surprised if there's going to be a lot more cutbacks for AX in the future. (It was Hcoregamer00 who finally balanced the books, and not Marc Perez.)

Also, don't be surprised if more fees are charged to the fans in the future. AX is the only anime or sci-fi convention in history that charges a fee for their Masquerade. Most of the anime cons don't charge for their concerts either, and their concerts are also included in the badge price. (This is not so with AX.)

Financially speaking, Sakuracon, Fanime, Otakon, & DragonCon are all doing much better compared to AX, so they can afford to get really good guests & perks. (AX is still trying to recover financially, due to ex-CEO Micheal Lattanzio, and Marc Perez's financial mismanagement.)

AnimeLA is also doing much better financially, so they can afford perks like free water for their attendees. (Those cons are taking a step forward, while AX is taking a step backwards financially.)

And to be frank, with a $1.2 million debt record like that, I wouldn't trust Marc Perez to manage my taxes, investments, or business. (Would you really trust someone who helped incurred a $1.2 million in debt to do your taxes, investments, business or finances? Heck, I'll end up bankrupt within a week!)

Right now, AX can't even afford the Nokia Theatre. (Which brings to the question, what's the point of staying in LA, and paying several times more than in Anaheim, when you can't even afford the Nokia theatre?)
All good points...glad to hear that AX is out of their financial mess brought on by horrible incompetence and mismanagement of finances. I would not want Mr. Perez or Lattanzio to be in charge of my finances that's for sure. I'd be bankrupt in a couple days!

I'd assume that Anaheim is cheaper all the way around for AX so I'm curious as to why they will be staying for this year and what seems like a few years up until 2015 if what I've heard is correct. LACC must have worked with AX to give them a deal they couldn't refuse? I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, so I'm just wildly speculating at this point. To be honest, even though I'd naturally prefer using Nokia Theater...I had no problems with Hall G last year for Main Events (I hope they are using Hall G again this year since no Nokia) and if it means that AX doesn't get deep in the red, that's alright. But yeah, if not for charging for Main Events I wonder how much deeper a hole AX would be in? Although, I don't think that really has a huge impact overall since it probably only offsets venue rental costs...
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #1158
El_Duque
miyoshi82

I'm just glad their first Japanese guest announcement wasn't Danny Choo.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #1159
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
and if it means that AX doesn't get deep in the red, that's alright. But yeah, if not for charging for Main Events I wonder how much deeper a hole AX would be in? Although, I don't think that really has a huge impact overall since it probably only offsets venue rental costs...
Charging for main events just helps offset the cost. I don't think they've ever had a main event with more than around 3500 people so that's about $70,000. tops. They've always had to subsidize them.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1160
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Charging for main events just helps offset the cost. I don't think they've ever had a main event with more than around 3500 people so that's about $70,000. tops. They've always had to subsidize them.
I've been hearing stuff lately that fans who wanted to host a panel at AX, will now be charged for each panel. (I heard that it was going to be around the range of $300 per panel.)

If this is true, AX will be the first anime or sci-fi con in history to charge their fans for their panels. (Like the Masquerade.)

I'm really hoping that it really isn't true, and what I've been hearing lately is just a fluke. I'm also really hoping that fan panels will continue to be free.

Quote:
I'm just glad their first Japanese guest announcement wasn't Danny Choo.
What's wrong with Danny Choo? I didn't mind that he came back a few times to AX. (Yeah, I know he's been coming to AX for the last few years, but he also did help AX to get some Japanese guests.)

Last edited by Hakaider : 02-06-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Hakaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #1161
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
What's wrong with Danny Choo? I didn't mind that he came back a few times to AX. (Yeah, I know he's been coming to AX for the last few years, but he also did help AX to get some Japanese guests.)
Yeah, I love Danny Choo. He has traditionally helped Anime Expo as Master of Ceremonies, industry guest (and Guest of Honor) and as a volunteer staffer. The closest thing in the con world like that is my friend Tadao Totomatsu in Anime Los Angeles.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Los Angeles, Otakon Vegas
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #1162
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
I love Danny Choo also, and I know he's pretty much a regular at this point. I was hoping it would be someone popular and famous to kick off a string of Japanese guests and build momentum.
Youtube
Twitter
Con History
Anime Los Angeles 2011-2013
Anime Expo 2006-2011
San Diego Comic Con 1994-present
Comikaze Expo 2011, 2013-present
Long Beach Comic Con 2009-2012
Anime Conji 2010-present
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #1163
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
I've been hearing stuff lately that fans who wanted to host a panel at AX, will now be charged for each panel. (I heard that it was going to be around the range of $300 per panel.)

If this is true, AX will be the first anime or sci-fi con in history to charge their fans for their panels. (Like the Masquerade.)

I'm really hoping that it really isn't true, and what I've been hearing lately is just a fluke. I'm also really hoping that fan panels will continue to be free.
I know this is just a rumor, but that is BEYOND ridiculous.
And most cosplayers/anime fans/whatever I know wouldn't want to spend THAT much money just to run a panel.
....just wanted to put that out there.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #1164
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I know this is just a rumor, but that is BEYOND ridiculous.
And most cosplayers/anime fans/whatever I know wouldn't want to spend THAT much money just to run a panel.
....just wanted to put that out there.
Well it is a 501(c6) after all, not a 501(c3).
If my company wants to host an "info session" at NAB, the rate is $11,000.00 That, for a room that seats 150. And if I want a booth in the exhibit hall, a small 10'x10' booth is $4250.00; a 20'x20', $17,000.00

They probably believe "we're doing you a really big favor, by only charging a couple hundred for a panel."
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #1165
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I like Danny Choo as well, I think at this point he is to AX what Tadao Tomatsu(?) is to ALA.

Also, I really hope that that rumor is just that, a rumor...because charging for a panel to begin with is just ridiculous when even Comic Con doesn't do that. Much less that amount? AX will sign their own death wish if they actually tried to pull that stunt. I would think that fan panels make up a pretty decent percentage of the overall panel schedule so to alienate that leaves gaping holes in the schedule...and really sours AX's reputation which they've worked so hard to repair after Lattanzio put it in the crapper in 2010
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Unread 02-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #1166
ArboACHG
Greyhound hater

Yeah, it seems ridiculous (to put it mildly) to have to pay someone to provide content for them. :P For AX's sake, I hope it's just a rumor.
ArboACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #1167
Robert San

I noticed a post about the hotels, and when I checked the cmr housing link it looked like the only days sold out were the days before or after the convention...? Does anyone know why would the days before it sell out but not the main 3 nights?
Robert San is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #1168
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

My best theory would be that they didn't book as many of the shoulder days of the convention as a lot of people generally arrive and leave on the days of the convention. Not as many people stay the day before or day after.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #1169
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArboACHG View Post
Yeah, it seems ridiculous (to put it mildly) to have to pay someone to provide content for them. :P For AX's sake, I hope it's just a rumor.
Yeah it's definitely ridiculous to say the least. There is no way that AX would be able to put any kind of positive spin on that. After all, what is earned in attendee registrations, merchandising and main event tickets should all be going right back into the convention as is the case with non profits, save for a couple of senior management positions I suppose. To charge for panels (any amount) would just go to show that there are still some huge issues with the management of funds related to the con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight View Post
My best theory would be that they didn't book as many of the shoulder days of the convention as a lot of people generally arrive and leave on the days of the convention. Not as many people stay the day before or day after.
Seems like the best reason; most of my friends don't show up until Day 1 and leave on Day 4 because they don't want to pay the extra hotel nights, but it would seem that more and more people are catching onto the idea of staying Day 0 as room nights were gone pretty quickly. Wouldn't know about the day after though...
Anime Expo
PMX(?)

Unread 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1170
Codename Otacon
Force a Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by animejunkie View Post
Otakon has already announced TM Revolution and Home Made Kazoku as guests
You might want to see this; http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.ph...12#post4615712

*Conventions for 2015*
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

*Cosplay list for 2015*
Red Medic(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Red Scout(Fem!)-Team Fortress 2
Codename Otacon is offline   Reply With Quote