Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 01-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukotsuto View Post
Honestly, I like that first one you posted of Akusesu better than the other three. I think in your case you already had photography down by the time you started attending conventions, so it's not really fair to expect some vast difference or change in style.
I think it is still fair to decide if the newer image shows progress, or is not as good as the older image, whether or not we are already accomplished in photography. We can't always make each photo shoot better than the last. There will be some ups and downs. Some photo shoots are more challenging to make great. Sometimes we have less creative and/or technical ideas flowing through us.

Personally, I like my newer images more than the earliest I posted of Akusesu. I prefer the candid style of posing and the controlled "enhanced" lighting. Also, the colors and contrast pop more in my more recent works through post-processing. The compositions in the newer images are much stronger too.

To match your White Ranger, I post this image from Anime Expo 2007. I was kicking myself afterwards for not staging a jumping kick photo of me with the White Ranger!

Five years later, at Power Morphicon 3, 2012, I got the Power Rangers jumping kick photo beyond my wildest dreams!...No White Ranger, but jumping over 6 Power Rangers from the same show I worked on, was way more than I ever planned....I know..I am in the shot, but I set it all up, and had someone click the shutter.

Last edited by brucer007 : 01-29-2013 at 11:32 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
touji

I just started getting into Cosplay photography, so I don't have anything from when I first started my photographic adventures, but I hope you guys will still let me play

I picked up my first camera that wasn't a point and shoot on October 11, 2011.

Then:

IMG_0564 by touji192, on Flickr

Now:

IMG_5408 by touji192, on Flickr
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Here is my friend Angela at Anime Expo 2008. I did not know her when I took this candid photo of her. I ran into her many times since, over the years. Taking candid photos often turns into something good in my experiences.

Angela ( Green costume ) posed for me again in 2011 at my one and only time at Anime LA. Joining her, are her boyfriend Luis, and her friend Dorothy.
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Sempai-Kun
OhHeyItsSK

Then(Katsucon 2012)

Now:

Photography/Graphic Design Blog
--------------------------------------------------
Also on FB: OhHeyItsSK
Sempai-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
Patcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
Here is my friend Angela at Anime Expo 2008. I did not know her when I took this candid photo of her. I ran into her many times since, over the years. Taking candid photos often turns into something good in my experiences.
It's amazing how many "friends" I have on Facebook due to simply snappnig some candids of folks at conventions. Later we see one another at cons, and it's easier to come up with some shots and ideas for shots.
Patcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

I didn't even know my first photoshoot was cosplay! A friend (Heki-Chan) from school liked my photography (non-portraits) and asked me to do a shoot with her in 2005.

I was pretty serious into photography, doing photojournalism and landscapes, but my portrait experience was pretty much zero.

Here's an image from my first shoot!:

She loved the shots and introduced me to all of her Canadian and American cosplay friends. At the time she was pretty big in the scene, so I was fortunate to meet and shoot with lots of other awesome cosplayers so quickly!

Here's a shot from a photoset I'm currently working on, taken at the end of 2012:

Over the past 8 years, I've now shot almost exclusively cosplay and portraits.
It's pretty unbelievable to me how just one person in a single photoshoot has changed my life so dramatically.

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #22
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

I met Cosplayer Ginger at my first Pacific Media Expo ( PMX ) in 2009. She was very unpretentious and easy to work with. I probably surprised her with a photo shoot that included a lot of action poses.

I found Ginger many times over the years, and did more photos shoots. I later discovered that she is the founder of an ambitious cosplay magazine called Otaku Sanctuary.
Here, at Anime LA 2011, I took a more gentle photo of her as a Princess, with the happiest frog on earth.
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
I met Cosplayer Ginger at my first Pacific Media Expo ( PMX ) in 2009. She was very unpretentious and easy to work with. I probably surprised her with a photo shoot that included a lot of action poses.
That photo reminds me of one I took at ACEN 2012. To continue with the theme, I included the only (poor) photo of movement I took at ACEN 2003.

Unread 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #24
Akahime
Red Princess

Wow, everyone's progress of 'then and now' are amazing. I hope I make good progress too in the years to come. (I'm sure I will, but I just hope I learn a lot in a good even pace)

I thought I come back and show my cosplay photoshoots of now and then (click them for a larger image if you like). I just started seriously doing cosplay photography back in 2011 so I'm still so slow and new at this. :3 But here are my 'now and then'.

Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
AnimeJ26
Cosplay Photographer

Late, but here's mine!

AnimeJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
SolarTempest
.: Photographer :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeJ26 View Post
Late, but here's mine!
To me, this was the best Then and Now so far!

flickr.com/photos/solartempest
Facebook: solartempestphotography
-Email me for shoots!

:2014 Planned Conventions:
Katsucon, Con-G, MTAC, Colossal Con, Otakuthon, FanExpo, Youmacon,
SolarTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
heekun

Nice to see everyone's changes/improvements as they gain more experience.
A couple of my walk around / snapshots:

Then - 2009 Anime North, camera was just a bridge-point and shoot. I don't even know why cropped the image this way.

Now - 2012 Youmacon. Newer gear and I pay much attention to in camera composition when taking shots.
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

I like trying to provide perspective to an event in the form of a crowd photo. This then and now photo shows a difference over time. Choice of location and even framing makes a difference. Though maybe the most important is what is happening in the photo.

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
blufox4900

Hello, pretty new to this forum. Everyone here improved like crazy! Here's some of my pictures
Older cosplay picture that I took back in megacon of 2011

And a more recent shoot at Holiday Matsuri 2012
blufox4900 is offline   Reply With Quote