Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Paying to park at a hotel?

I was going to book a room for a convention, and was suprised to learn that not only did we have to pay for the room, but we had to pay for parking at the hotel as well. I've been to hotels before, including for other conventions, and parking always came with the room, we never had to pay extra for it. The worst part was the convention website didn't mention this, we called the hotel back requesting a confirmation number and it was mentioned then that we would need to pay for parking as well. The link the convention gave us to reserve rooms never mentioned it, and it's not obvious on the hotel's main website either, you have to click on a link for guest services, then another link for parking to find out there's a fee.

Has anyone else had this happen, or is this completely normal and I've been lucky up until now?
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Most hotels in big cities charge for parking. It's annoying but unavoidable.
Which is why if I'm going to anime Boston I drag all my stuff on the train.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiagirl View Post
Has anyone else had this happen, or is this completely normal and I've been lucky up until now?
Completely normal --- unless the hotel is in a small town, you'll need to pay for parking.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

A bit odd that they don't mention parking more obviously, but paid parking is far from abnormal, especially for big cities or if the lot's patrolled.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Lithium Flower
Handphones

It depends on the hotel chain, some will have free parking and others don't. It's definitely a little absurd and kinda feels like highway robbery

But that's up to the hotel, just like it's up to myself and our friends to chose the other hotel in the area that offers free parking for the length of our stay. The hotel's we come across always mention the parking as part of the amenities list however. Maybe in the future you'll want to check on the amenities to see if anything relating to parking is mentioned?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Curucar

I'm used to paying for parking in larger cities, but the NDK hotel started charging for parking two years ago. $5 for the weekend? Peachy fine. But last year it was $5/day. $20 in parking for going day 0? Not so cool. Especially when you can park down the road at the shopping complex for free (NDK is not hosted anywhere near downtown and there's open parking everywhere).
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Ilafatyu
That guy

I was surprised to find out the hotel charges for parking at last year's AAC. I've been spoiled with Portcon.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

The Nashua Radisson never charged for parking. It must the new location in Manchester.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Ilafatyu
That guy

Yeah, it was. It's a nice venue, but if home base wasn't right across the river, it would have been a pain.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Yeah, it depends on the hotel and the location... For example, I've never had to pay parking in Atlanta but Baltimore, damn. If you want to park anywhere near a hotel, you'll pay dearly.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

And the size of the con. The small 1000-ish people con I attend has free parking at the hotel. Anime North, which has 20,000 attendees and in one of Canada's biggest cities? If you're staying in any of the dozen or so hotels with the con rate, it's anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks a DAY, plus sales tax. (Never had to pay it myself, though. I take the train.) The convention center itself has free parking, but no overnight allowed.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
temanocosplay

I've only had it happen at one convention I went too and if I remember correctly as long as you were there for the convention and you showed your badge, the hotel actually gave you your money back. It was nice even though it wasn't a lot of money.
Anime Detour 2010
QZ Anime Zing 2010/11/12
Anime Spark 2011/12
Anime STL 2011

Future Cons:
Anime Zing 2013
Acen 2013
Anime Iowa 2013
Geek Kon 2013

Possible cons:
Gen con 2013
temanocosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
BeccaDoll
The genius ninja

It's beyond common, but in my opinion not right. You're already paying for the room, you shouldn't have to pay for parking too.

2014 Cosplays:
Vi (Original Skin) - League of Legends
Princess Daisy - Super Mario Brothers
Uzumaki Kushina-Naruto Shippuden
Hyuuga Hinata - Naruto Shippuden

Ankle Shatterer Cosplay, check it out
https://www.facebook.com/beccachancosplay
BeccaDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I think it would be nice for hotels to give con-goers who are staying there at least 1 free parking pass per room. I don't mind paying something like $5 a day for parking even, but pretty sure a con I'm going to this summer is charging about $15+ a day for parking even if you're staying at the hotel

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

Last year, we accidentally lucked out that our hotel for Otakon never ended up charging me for our parking that weekend (woo, I got to save on four days of parking!), but I have a feeling that our hotel this year will totally remember. Not too big of a deal, as we got an amazing rate for the weekend, I just hate them parking fees.

I think the rates I've seen for Baltimore during Otakon can be anywhere from $25-$37, depending on distance and such.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote