Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
-Alicè-
-Lost in my own world-

Homestuck Cosplay Skit

Hello! As popular as homestuck is, there's still people who haven't read it compleatly through, or who have little to no interest in reading it, so I was hoping you lovely people could read over this skit and let us know if it makes sense, if it would be something you'd be interested in seeing, the usual jibber jabber We're both experienced in the preforming arts, so that's not a problem, but writing scripts has never been a strong point of mine.

We did adapt some of the text from an actual scene in homestuck (although spoilers, Karkat didn't die) We thought that by adding his death into the script it would create something a little different for people who've seen homestuck and add a bit more of a plot for people who haven't. Make sense? adsjj I'm probably rambling now haha.

We haven't come up for a title for this one yet, so if you have any ideas let me know!

-Karkat is sitting on the stage. Surrounded by dead bodies. Glances over towards them occasionally. He's typing on his laptop, Gamzee responds through the chat client (audio pre-recorded)-
Karkat: GAMZEE. WE HAVE A PROBLEM DUDE.
Gamzee: honk.
Karkat: I GET IT. YOU'RE A CLOWN. NO ONE CARES. QUIT THE ANTICS AND GET YOUR ASS BACK DOWN HERE. THE SHIT HAS HIT THE WHIRLING DEVICE AND YOU COULD BE IN DANGER.
Gamzee: honk. Honk. Honk.
Karkat: DUDE. YOU ARE SERIOUSLY WEIRDING ME OUT HERE. SAY SOMETHING.
Gamzee: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA uh, yeah...I GUESS I'M ALL WEIRDING OUT AT SOME EXTENT TO MY OWN SELF. But it's all cool, I’m chill with it.
Karkat: OH NO. NO NO NO NO NO PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOU WENT CRAZY. I COULDN'T TAKE THAT ON TOP OF ALL THIS.
Gamzee: On top of what.
Karkat: EVERYONE IS DEAD AND I'M FREAKING THE HECK OUT ABOUT IT.
Gamzee: hehe. So that's were you are.
Automated voice: Gamzee has logged off.
Karkat: OH NO. GAMZEE?
-Karkat stands up, panicky-
Karkat: HE'S COMING HERE. NO. NO. NO. THIS IS NOT COOL BRO. I DO NOT WANT TO DIE. I HAVE TO HID.
-Ducks under table, or under laptop, or behind dead bodies, whatever's convenient and what we can bring on stage, Gamzee walks in a few seconds later-
Karkat: PLEASE DON'T KILL ME. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME. (mumbling to himself, rocking back and forth)
Gamzee: Oh Karkat, buddy, best bro, were'd you go?
-Gamzee gives a wide grin, showing off his pointy teeth before grabbing Karkat by the feet (if he's under the table) or by his hand if he's anywhere else)-
Karkat: NO. BRO. SNAP OUT OF THIS.
Gamzee:I am going to kill you. And paint pictures with your blood. FROM YOUR VEINS WILL DRIP MY MIRACLES. You're crushed bones will make stardust.
Gamzee:Welcome to the dark carnival.

So let me know what you think! We're thinking we might have the lights turn off right before Gamzee's last line, which is why it's separate from the rest, but we're not sure. I have to email the cosplay director and ask if it would be allowed. We're also thinking about having the lights flash back on and having Karkats body be on the ground, but again, we need an okay from the director before we're comfortable adding that into the script.

So! Once again, any help you can provide would be fantastic!

The Little Mermaid - Ariel (95% Finished)
My Little Pony - Rarity (85% Finished)
Blindsprings - Tammy (10% Finished)

Do you have a tumblr? I follow back!
http://musesofspace.tumblr.com/

Last edited by -Alicè- : 02-08-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Missed a bit of stage directions
-Alicè- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Elycium
likes fancy things

Given that Homestuck is Western based, and not at all related to anime, manga, or Asian-based medium in any sense, chances are that this skit wouldn't be allowed to compete at any anime convention.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
-Alicè-
-Lost in my own world-

Thank you for the input for the convention we plan on presenting this there's no rules that state no western things are allowed. Of course, i'll add that to the list of things to email the director about Just to double check.

I think it all sort of depends on the convention and the directors call

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Visage
Founder of Across

Greetings -Alicè-,

Having never no familiarity with Homestuck whatsoever... I'm guessing it's an online chat game of some sort (similar to hack//sign??). However, I find that I'm not really 100% sure what's going on here, particularly at the part where he says "So that's where you are". Considering Karkat has been by the bodies the entire time, why is this stated? It almost implies Gamzee didn't know where Karkat was until that moment. Is there a reason why Gamzee would NOT know where Karkat is?

If you say "TerminallyCapricious" has logged off, likely not a single person unfamiliar with Homestuck will understand. I would have had no idea if you hadn't added the bit in parentheses. It probably wouldn't hurt to make sure the audience knows Karkat's name, too.

Hope this feedback helps a bit. I really appreciate that you're trying to make the skit understandable and enjoyable even for people unfamiliar with the fandom.
Visage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
-Alicè-
-Lost in my own world-

Thank you so much! Reading over the script I DIFFIDENTLY didn't make it clear, up until the point were Karkat goes to hide, he'll be the only one on stage. Him and Gamzee are talking through something similar to 'MSN' or Skype. That's why he had no idea were Karkat was. On stage, we plan on having a laptop set up and haveing those 'MSN' like bings just before Gamzee says anything

I hope that clears that up? I'll go add a little bit explaining that in the original post. I can't believe I forgot those stage directions!

Unread 02-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Amanita

My only concern might be the language- some cons are very concerned about keeping things family friendly, and wouldn't allow cussing in a skit. I'd suggest asking the director if the swears are allowed, or if you will have to change them.
I'd hate to see an otherwise good skit get disqualified or cut off over a few naughty words.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Visage
Founder of Across

>>Thank you so much! Reading over the script I DIFFIDENTLY didn't make it clear, up until the point were Karkat goes to hide, he'll be the only one on stage. Him and Gamzee are talking through something similar to 'MSN' or Skype. That's why he had no idea were Karkat was. On stage, we plan on having a laptop set up and haveing those 'MSN' like bings just before Gamzee says anything

I hope that clears that up? I'll go add a little bit explaining that in the original post. I can't believe I forgot those stage directions! <<

Okay, that makes a LOT more sense. I read the revised version, and that is much better. I think people unfamiliar with the series should be able to understand this skit now.

I would second Amanita's concern about the language allowed at the contest. You might have to substitute a few words if swearing is not allowed on stage.

Good luck with your skit!
Visage is offline   Reply With Quote