Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
CautiousAmber

Best Ways to Make Friends at Cons?

I'm going to my second con in about a month, and I'm extremely excited. My memory of the first one is a bit of a blur at this point, but I know I didn't feel like I had very many opportunities to really interact and connect with anyone outside of the friends I came with.

So I'm wondering how others have managed to make friends at conventions?! Considering it seems like the perfect place to get to know people that share the same interests as you.
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Definitely go to gatherings and get a chance to meet other fans of the series you are cosplaying from. Don't be afraid to talk to people, compliment then on their cosplays, ask how they did they make specific things, ask them what else they're into...small talk stuff. Most people at conventions are very friendly, and open to meeting and talking to new people. You can always ask the people who you talk to if they maybe want to hang out afterwards, but like I said...ask first, don't go stalking them around the convention.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

The best place I've found to talk to strangers is waiting in lines. Yep. Ain't nobody going nowhere.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Find out where there's going to be meet-ups of the series you're cosplaying from, I've made pretty much all of my cosplay friends this way (excluding the ones I met online) and I've made a LOT of them. It's best to find out beforehand by looking on the convention's forum or something but if you get there and you don't know, I've sometimes just asked cosplayers from the same series if they know where it's going to be. (If it's a big fandom that's sure to have a meet-up like Homestuck)
Complimenting people can also lead to conversation sometimes.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
vietgirl018
hibiki

i always find it hard to make friends at cons. with my friends i already have, im not shy and will talk easy. but with people i dont know and trying to become friends with, i feel scared that im going to say something wrong(happens a bit with me). im kind of shy.

at one of my last cons i went to, these group of girls got really excited about who i was cosplaying and took pictures with me and stuff. They were super nice. But when i saw them later on, I called out to them and said hi. They looked my way and ignored me. I dont think they did it on purpose but then again, i was right next to them so im sure they heard me.

Each time i go to a con, it seems like i don't have much friends to go with anymore so i want to make new friends at cons but it seems really hard for me.
Otaku Bento (Houston, TX base group)

Current cosplay plans:
* Black rabbit from Mondaijitachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou Desu yo - 100%
* Sailor Saturn from Sailor Moon - 0%
* Meredy from Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2
* Luigi from Luigi's Mansion - 100%
* Sakura(Beginning of movie 2) from Cardcaptor sakura

Upcoming conventions:
* Katsuon 2014 (Feb 2014)
* Anime Matsuri (March 2014, Houston, TX)
vietgirl018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Ever since I first went, I met a LOT of people at cons. The ways I have done this and have made friends have been:

- Taking part in team (randomly chosen) gameshows. If the team is friendly enough, I am sure after the game, most would be willing to keep in contact. I did once where my team won, and we even exchanged email addresses.

- Planning online meetings.... I met one girl at a CLAMP photoshoot plan, and she was pretty awesome. She even gave me a box of pocky. xD

- Having friends within a state or two away I know online attend. I have as much as had my guild leader in White Knight Chronicles attend Anime Boston before after I told him about it, and he came, and I watched the Masquerade with him and his friends before.

- Cosplaying popular, yet not so popular to be cosplayed characters, like Alphose Elric in the suit of armor, or a Gundam, or something. A lot of attention is given to those people.

- With the above said, full body suits in general tend to really catch people to you, which in turn, might start conversations.

- If you are a male, pulling off a decent female crossplay tends to really get people interested with you too. I have done this and I have had store vendors and people talk to me all happy like and such. Always interesting to people seeing guys work so well that they pass off. Once someone finds out you are a guy, it will be a big alienation, or a big "WOW, YOU ROCK"

- Try to make yourself stand out. Break dance to music or whatever.

- Be plain nice. Hold doors for people, compliment costumes, and if someone loses something, and you are sure you know who lost it, give it back. Little things like that can make someone very happy.

The more you make yourself memorable, the better the odds of making people want to be your friends. It's not very hard, but it works out best too if you are engaging. There are FAR more introvertive people at conventions than extrovertive. Be an extrovert, and you open doors.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Loveable-Eve
Moe Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
The best place I've found to talk to strangers is waiting in lines. Yep. Ain't nobody going nowhere.
^ Ditto
If anything you will have a great conversation

Don't make yourself feel like you have to be cosplay something cool to draw people. Just have fun being a character you love.
The best way is just being friendly. Photoshoot and meet up are nice because you already know that you have one thing in common.
Drag Cloud - Final Fantasy 7: Need dress, wig and braids
Bahamat - Fantasy 4: I need wig, and to make the wings
The Best Costume Ever - It's a surprise: All I need is the wig!
Loveable-Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
guitargirlts9
I Love Light Music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
- Try to make yourself stand out. Break dance to music or whatever.

The more you make yourself memorable, the better the odds of making people want to be your friends. It's not very hard, but it works out best too if you are engaging. There are FAR more introvertive people at conventions than extrovertive. Be an extrovert, and you open doors.
^This. If you can incorporate something in a performance sense with your cosplay you will definitely have a nice ice breaker. After you break the ice be a friendly and engaging, but not creepy extrovert. It works for me at least.
Otakon 2014
Anime USA 2014
Yuki Nagato - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kagamine Rin - Vocaloid
Yui Hirasawa - K-On!
Iwasawa Masami - Angel Beats!

I Love Light Music!
guitargirlts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

I've met some cosplayer friends by taking pics of myself with them and showing them later on internet, like saying "Hey, I got a pic of myself with you!", it doesn't always work for me but it's a great way.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Holygamer99

Is it harder to interact with people if your cosplay is obscure?
Holygamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
CautiousAmber

Seems like a lot of people are mentioning gatherings and photoshoots, which I didn't even think of! I didn't cosplay the last time I went, so I can see why people weren't as likely to say anything to me!

Thanks so much for all the advice!
- Pearl (Steven Universe)
- Fluttershy

2014 Events: Kawa Kon, Nakakon, Anime Central, Cosplacon,ACE, Motaku, Nebraskon

tumblr / deviantart
CautiousAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Riaure
Wei Pon

Personally, I've found that, and as rude as it sounds, but involving yourself in other people's conversations around you, can get you miles!

Whereas in the 'regular' world, you butt in to a conversation and you will get a short, stunted conversation, where they clearly are uncomfortable with you. At conventions, people are just so much more relaxed about being approached by strangers. But that is how I met most of my friends! 99% of con-goers I have met are so lovely and we have great little chats, which we continue online after the con and it goes from there.

Another way is just not being afraid to chat to someone if you ask them for a photo. I mean if they are obviously in a rush to get somewhere then leave them be, but I find it common courtesy to show them a photo after you have taken it, and that is the perfect window for chit-chat, and it gives you your starting questions to get to know them [how long did it take to make? how much of the anime/manga/game/etc have you seen/read/etc].

The only thing I will add is not EVERY con go-er thinks this way, as obvious as this might sound. Some people, and I'm on about the tiniest of minorities will not be accommodating and won't appreciate it, so at the same time as not being scared of approaching people/being approached, remember your stranger danger, and if they seem really tense/nervous/angry, cut it short and walk away.
Riaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Go to the photoshoots. Easiest way to find someone who at least has one thing in common with you.

Take someone's picture if you like their cosplay. You can usually start a small conversation with the cosplayer IF 1)the cosplayer doesn't have to be somewhere, and 2)three or more other people are not taking a photo as well.

I feel it's pretty easy to talk to the few people that bring something to play music with and dance in a non crowded space. I doubt many people actually stop to dance with them so the group must be happy to have someone join them.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I have to agree with this one. A couple of people I met from the Avatar photo shoot earlier in the day were kind of wandering around afterward We got stuck in the back of a line with a really tall Vash the Stampede----ironically waiting to get in to see the premier of the latest Trigun movie (not yet dubbed!). It was awesome. We were all like, "We got Vash. Whadda you got?"

We were there in line for an hour. Great guys, good times, awesome movie.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
pc_alchemist
Lolita Princess

Photos gatherings are great even if you aren't in cosplay and just want to take picture or see people's costumes

And I can't believe no one has said this, but business cards are great for trading information quickly. Its also a great excuse if you take their picture. "You can find the picture on my blog or you can email me if you want a copy."
pc_alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote