Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Reviresco

Best Con

Hey everyone ok so what is the best con you have ever been to?
Reviresco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Anime Boston..... okay, it might be the only one outside of Otakon I go to, but AB just has spirit I never got at Otakon. I feel like the AB staff really cares about making AB special.... such as bringing their mascots alive, the cosplay music videos they do, and Pat D and Adam Ferraro plain rock. Again, I never been elsewhere, but it feels like it has so much spirit there.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Sayoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Altrus
I love dogs!

Haha, this thread is asking for a fight. Most have their own redeeming qualities, and a lot varies on personal taste. I really don't care for small cons, and all of my bad con experience have been at them. Some people I know love them. The same people I take to PAX East wouldn't go to Otakon if I paid them, and vice versa. I personally tend to enjoy any well run large anime or video game convention, but I'd have a hard time picking a favorite. PAX East and Otakon top my list, but I've certainly enjoyed AB and a few others as well.
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Holygamer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
Anime Boston..... okay, it might be the only one outside of Otakon I go to, but AB just has spirit I never got at Otakon. I feel like the AB staff really cares about making AB special.... such as bringing their mascots alive, the cosplay music videos they do, and Pat D and Adam Ferraro plain rock. Again, I never been elsewhere, but it feels like it has so much spirit there.
Well then, it's a good thing AB is the first con I'm going to.
Holygamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrus View Post
Haha, this thread is asking for a fight.
Nah, we are all nice and civilized adults he...

Quote:
PAX East and Otakon top my list, but I've certainly enjoyed AB and a few others as well.
Okay, that does it. *Unsheathes prop sword* No way are you getting away with this. )=<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygamer99 View Post
Well then, it's a good thing AB is the first con I'm going to.
Going to AB13? If so, enjoy it. Check out the main things like the Masquerade, the AMV contest and Anime Unscripted to get some of the better of the festivities. There's obviously more, but that is all up to you where you go. See you there!

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Holygamer99

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Planning on going with a couple of my friends, and if i can get a commission done in time I also plan to cosplay!
Holygamer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

The whole best con ever thing is purely subjective. I would say Katsucon and Otakon, but I've met people who open,y hate those conventions. It purely depends on what you are going for, and how much of a good time you had when you were last there.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

Sakura Con is up on my list. Also Fanime.

That said I haven't been to any East Coast cons, so I'm missing out on those.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

I'm biased since I've not been able to afford to travel to east coast conventions but AX despite the drama and issues the con has had in the past few years, it was the first con I ever went to so it has a special place with me. That said, Fanime and ALA are pretty much tied at number two though I hope to go to Sakura Con next year...
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo

Potential Future Crossplays
Maki Nishikino (Love Live) - Summer school uniform
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
I totally agree with the spirit thing. I've only been to three different cons, Otakon being the largest, and I do agree that AB has a great atmosphere. I always look forward to attending.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Ilafatyu
That guy

I love AAC, but... I've only been to two different cons. I hope to go to AB someday, if I can find roommates, but until then I'm going to say Another Anime Convention is my home con.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalbakaness View Post
I totally agree with the spirit thing. I've only been to three different cons, Otakon being the largest, and I do agree that AB has a great atmosphere. I always look forward to attending.

Yeah. I don't know what it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, Otakon was great, but I dunno.... maybe because it was TOO big. I go to AB, and I see two-three staffers dressed up as their icons (A-Chan, B-Kun, and the new "Digit" character who has hosted the Masquerade the last two years), it's smaller, but feels homey/tighter than Otakon where it feels wide-spread and emptier in various locations (Best way to explain this is, you have halls at Otakon near empty all the time between rooms like back by the dealers room, but then at AB, you have practically every hallway crowding with people)... and I take part in the AMV stuff at AB.... the AMV creators host a Thursday night dinner for everyone, and Adam join them being a major part of it.

Again, I like Otakon, but it's just not an AB to me, and just never will be. It would be great if Otakon did the same thing and had Hiroko and Hiroshi cosplayers each year. That little thing adds IMO.

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

Quote:
Yeah. I don't know what it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, Otakon was great, but I dunno.... maybe because it was TOO big.
I agree. I've been to Otakon twice, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't the same as AB. It's definitely too big for me. AB does seem to have a homey feel to it.
While I don't personally know any of the staff, I can tell they put their heart into this con.
And hey, I had a couple of the staff at Otakon say how great AB was when they found out we were from the Boston area ^_^
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

I've only been to two conventions so far: Anime LA and San Diego Comic-Con

Anime LA was okay, would have probably been better if I wasn't sick. :P

San Diego Comic-Con has been the best I've gone to (better back in the days) Since I've been going to it for 12 years now xD I went as a child and I'm only 20

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH

Last edited by LinkPwnsGanon : 02-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Sayoria
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalbakaness View Post
I agree. I've been to Otakon twice, and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't the same as AB. It's definitely too big for me. AB does seem to have a homey feel to it.
While I don't personally know any of the staff, I can tell they put their heart into this con.
And hey, I had a couple of the staff at Otakon say how great AB was when they found out we were from the Boston area ^_^
Me as well. Just 2011 and 2012 for Otakon. Maybe that's the problem. I also didn't like how the con extended another two blocks for the Masquerade. x_x.... Our restaurant of choice down there was Hard Rock Cafe too, which though it wasn't in the con's exact area, it also stretched us quite a bit far. I don't know any of the staff personally, but I HAVE talked to Adam, Pat D and Jekka before. Just minor chitchat for one reason or another, but God, are they all great.

I never talked to the Otakon staff. The ladies handing out the badges were awfully nice at Otakon though. As for the rest of the con staff at Otakon though, I never really saw or talked to any. Most issues I might have had were them doing their jobs. Told me to put my camera away in the artist alley.... understandable. Only negative thing was my friend was stopped and forced to write a name on his badge because he didn't have a name on his badge.... (I didn't either, I feel the badge isn't sullied if I leave it blank, so I covered the name area with my finger) I don't see why a name would matter, since you can easily write anything like "Ichigo" on it, and anyone can still use the darn thing. :/