Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

So, I tried long wigs twice now and...

within both times, I killed the wig in a single day. x.x....

So, for the last 4 or so years, I dropped cosplaying as characters with long wigs.... however, the character I plan this year, I need a wig, or I need to bleach my hair. I don't want to bleach, so I need to go with a wig.

The wig is going to be at least down to my back, but I still kind of don't trust myself taking care of it. Are there any tips you folks can offer to take care of these long wigs? I really want longevity on this. I am tired of killing my wigs, especially with these long and custom ones costing around 40-80 each, depending.

So, any good tips? I have oil sheen spray from those years ago, a pretty heavy can, but that's all I have.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
trmbngrl
Britt

Get a wire comb for one (it cuts down static, which will help the fibers from catching and kinking). Make sure you are throughout the day having people check it to make sure no huge knots are forming at the base of your neck. Try not to bother the hair as much as possible. Leave in moisturizer for wigs tames them a bit as well. Lots of tips one could give, but in the end there isn't anything to be done about long wigs tangling over time. You just have to make sure that EVERY time you wear it you have some time to fix it afterwards. Getting a heat resistant wig is also a plus since you can use a straightener on a low setting to fix any hairs that happened to curl up or get caught and broken during the day. Don't be afraid to trim individual hairs that are just ruined to save the bulk of the wig.
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

A lot of my costumes have involved long hair and I don't really have problems with it, so....

Get wig conditioner and a wide-toothed comb. Whenever you comb the wig out, spray it very liberally with wig conditioner, both on the outside and behind the fall of the fiber. This will really help in smoothing it out with less stress on the fibers.

Use a COMB, not a hairbrush. Hairbrushes fuck wigs up a lot faster.

Always braid the wig before storing it in a bag. This is extremely important. (The only time you can possibly skip this step is if you have a REALLY long, narrow bag like the ones Arda ships their long wigs in and you're very careful about putting the wig in straight. The point is, you don't want allow the fiber to become a pile that can tangle on itself in storage.)

COMB IT. Don't let it get to the point where it's a tangled clusterfuck, and never let it stay tangled because it will get worse. I gently comb a long wig whenever I take it out of the bag, as well as whenever I take it off and need to put it away. I keep the comb nearby when I put the wig on, and I take the time to smooth it out once it's on. Every so often, whenever I make a pitstop at my hotel room for food, bathroom, etc, I will also take the extra few minutes to smooth out the wig. Just be gentle while you're wearing it, because it's not attached to your head like real hair. Sometimes I even take the comb with me out into the con.

It also helps if you have a wig buddy when you're in an awkward or bulky costume who can spot for you - preferably someone who has experience in handling long hair.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

My whooooooooole group uses their main or short hair. I am the only one who is willing or has tried long wigs. :/...

Wide toothed Comb/Wire comb..... got it.

As for braiding, how do you do that to a wig exactly? I know how to braid, but even my own hair is a pain. I am sure if I had something to support the wig, it would be easier, but carrying a styrofoam wig to the con would be taking up a LOT of space. ):

Would oil sheen work in place of the conditioner, or should I get something else?

Watch out for knots/have people check for me, and cut whatever might form to save what remains of the wig.

Okay, thanks! I have no practice wig right now, but good to pile up this info. Thanks!

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

For long wig I go straight to the silicon spray pretreatment before even wearing them.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=185958

Doing this will also prevent the wig from tangling badly as you wear it.

Also most long wig come tangled from manufacturing. They don't look tangles but they are which is partly why the wigs tangle so bad the first time wearing them out of the box. I just makes those tangles worse.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

also look into buy an epiccosplay wig as they are pretreated (i would still silicon spray it tho) so they dont tangle as fast
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Actually I don't think epiccosplay wig s are pretreated as the take dye just fine. But they are the most tangle resistant wig on the market and they have super long styles.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

I dunno, I know silicone spray is the thing now, but I haven't really been impressed with it. All the end results I've seen so far look like hair that hasn't been washed in at least a week.

The heat-resistant fibers seem to be much easier to comb in general. I've never used an Epic Cosplay wig, but I've found that Arda wigs (also heat-resistant fiber like Epic) are way easier to comb compared to the New Look (Eleora fiber) and kanekalon fiber wigs I used to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcenciel View Post
As for braiding, how do you do that to a wig exactly? I know how to braid, but even my own hair is a pain. I am sure if I had something to support the wig, it would be easier, but carrying a styrofoam wig to the con would be taking up a LOT of space. ):
If I don't have a wig head with me, I often just place the wig on top of a lampshade (with the light OFF) or a bedknob instead. I've also just laid long wigs flat on a bed and braided them that way, but it is easier to braid them if they're on some kind of support.

Though really, a wig head doesn't take up that much extra space. If my suitcase is full, I'll put the wig head in a satchel or very small duffel, or for carpools, I'll just carry it in my lap.

Quote:
Would oil sheen work in place of the conditioner, or should I get something else?
Use wig conditioner. The general rule of thumb is: do not use stuff meant for real hair on a wig. Wig fiber is not hair. Some products are fine, like hair spray or hair glue, but others just don't work at all because wig fiber is not an absorbent protein structure.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
novaraven1

Annibee is right, definitely go and buy an epiccosplay wig! They are the only ones I wear for long haired cosplays now since they are so much easier to untangle. I don't even need wig conditioner on them before I brush them out after wearing.
I use a flat metal bristled brush meant for cleaning wigs, I find it has less static than plastic. Never use a round brush on long wigs, they'll get stuck.
I love cosplaying long haired characters the most and they do take practice, you have to be aware that you're not getting tangled up or sitting on it. But the better quality wigs make all the difference in how good it looks and how easy it is to care for. I used to use newlook brand wigs made of a pretreated/coated kankelon, they were the easiest ones to keep tangle free. And I still had to cut them into layered styles and keep them in a ponytail with a ribbon when I was just walking around a con and always stay out of the wind. It would take me up to three hours after wearing a knee length wig to untangle it.
I am upgrading everything I possibly can to epiccosplay wigs now!! It literally takes me ten minutes to untangle!! It means I get to sleep after i cosplay instead of trying to untangle wigs before I put them away. ^^