Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #4831
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Charlie Brooker is back on TV everyone should watch, it's my favorite of all wry political commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOja6Er-Ck

"There you go, a gun so simple a child could use it. But not out run it."
Brilliant as always. Though the bit about the diving show was low-hanging fruit. Not really worthy of him.

Also, Alex Jones is a conspiracy theory nut. La Pierre is not mainstream. A majority of people the in the US want stricter gun control laws however the average person does not have lobbyists throwing money at politicians. The NRA does.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #4832
Kildread
I can fix it!
 
Kildread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Charlie Brooker is back on TV everyone should watch, it's my favorite of all wry political commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOja6Er-Ck

"There you go, a gun so simple a child could use it. But not out run it."
Thanks for that man, I went through all his current stuff last month and ran out >_>
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #4833
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,050
Anyone else following the Christopher Dorner saga? This is the story of the year so far. It has everything. I relly hope they bring down the S.O.B.
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #4834
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,484
I haven't heard much about it. There was a report about him on the news earlier, but all it really said was that he's a former policeman/soldier and he's been killing relatives of policemen and politicians.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #4835
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I haven't heard much about it. There was a report about him on the news earlier, but all it really said was that he's a former policeman/soldier and he's been killing relatives of policemen and politicians.
Look into it, man. The fact that he's a black liberal who wrote a manifesto that contains much fawning over left wing politicians, media figures, and celebrities has turned everything on its head. The usual suspects that get blamed for violent acts in this country are detested by this man.

And so of course this happens.

Something tells me there's not going to be any any suggestion that The Daily Show get banned, or that MSNBC get banned.
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #4836
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,484
I just finished reading his manifesto of his (or at least what most websites are saying is it).

I'm not entirely sure I see the left-wing sympathies. He certainly gives anti-firearms legislation a bit of lip service and rolls of a list of people he likes/dislikes (and a pretty polarised one at that). But large parts of it feel a bit egotistical (he's says how things aren't "in my DNA" a few times and the way he talks about what he's doing you'd think he thinks he's Rambo). Plus the section where he lists off his "targets" feels rather prejudiced, despite his own complaints (going entirely based on that, the LAPD must be staffed entirely by background characters from a Law and Order episode written during a writer's strike). It makes me wonder what the people he's talking about's story is.

The slightly crazy part of my mind even has a feeling that he's someone with right wing views trying to appear left wing, but I think that's going into tin foil hat territory....
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #4837
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin
 
UsakoLuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,496
Most gay high school students feel isolated from their peers. Perfect solution? Don't let them go to prom with the straight kids!
__________________
Wanna hear me ramble?
@usakoluna
Amusement of A Princess
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #4838
Shana05
The Nation of Love
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Most gay high school students feel isolated from their peers. Perfect solution? Don't let them go to prom with the straight kids!
I just learned that it was just a bunch of ignorant students and parents. The school administration has stated everyone can attend prom. While I heard a teacher was involved, I'm currently wondering if she actually worked at Sullivan High. The media has been known to give inaccurate information recently.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #4839
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin
 
UsakoLuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,496
But all the gay students at the school know that a sizable number of people don't want them there.

I feel bad for them
__________________
Wanna hear me ramble?
@usakoluna
Amusement of A Princess
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #4840
Shana05
The Nation of Love
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,653
The article mentions those people are working on other options. I'm hoping this means they will just have their own prom at the church for the bigoted students. But yeah, I understand how you feel.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #4841
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!
 
Tak-kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 187
As a gay former highschool student, I know I felt horribly isolated from prom. Nevermind the fact I never had a date (it sucks when you go to a super uptight "rich" school, and you're one of 4 out of the closet kids). Even if I had, I'm not sure I would have gone. I'm secure with who I am and the fact I'm gay, but having a room full of people and their dates give you the stink eye for just wanting to have your prom night like they're having.. it's daunting.
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #4842
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
A majority of people the in the US want stricter gun control laws
And 38 percent of Americans can't pass the citizenship test.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/nati...p-test_6185710

So because we have a lot of uneducated people that don't know even the 3 branches of government, let alone the historical, legal, and philosophical aspects of the constitution, America should throw away our civil liberties?

Having lived in places where rights were revoked and certain liberties outright forbidden, I'm not going to be silent while people whose idea of a massive breakdown in societal function is when Apple's Siri gives them directions to a burger king when they really wanted McDonald's, decide that they should trade away rights for false security.
__________________
People say they like irony, but nobody wants to pay for it.
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #4843
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
And 38 percent of Americans can't pass the citizenship test.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/nati...p-test_6185710

So because we have a lot of uneducated people that don't know even the 3 branches of government, let alone the historical, legal, and philosophical aspects of the constitution, America should throw away our civil liberties?
An uneducated person's vote counts just as much as an educated person's vote. We the fucking people, baby. Like it or not, that's democracy. It's the worst form of government except for all the others that have been tried.

Even the majority of NRA members support common sense measures like background checks, mandatory safety training and denying permits to people on the terrorist watch list and those who have committed violent misdemeanors including domestic abuse. The NRA leadership opposes all these. Note that the poll was conducted by Frank Luntz of FOX News. Also, gun ownership is inversely correlated with education regardless of party affiliation. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
Having lived in places where rights were revoked and certain liberties outright forbidden, I'm not going to be silent while people whose idea of a massive breakdown in societal function is when Apple's Siri gives them directions to a burger king when they really wanted McDonald's, decide that they should trade away rights for false security.
Oh boo fucking hoo. Again with the straw man. It's like you have an entire straw army! There are far more serious threats to our civil liberties than gun registries and background checks. But there is a middle ground between paranoia and complacency.

However the only point of my previous post was that neither Alex Jones nor Wayne La Pierre represent the majority point of view in the US.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #4844
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
And 38 percent of Americans can't pass the citizenship test.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/nati...p-test_6185710

So because we have a lot of uneducated people that don't know even the 3 branches of government, let alone the historical, legal, and philosophical aspects of the constitution, America should throw away our civil liberties?

Having lived in places where rights were revoked and certain liberties outright forbidden, I'm not going to be silent while people whose idea of a massive breakdown in societal function is when Apple's Siri gives them directions to a burger king when they really wanted McDonald's, decide that they should trade away rights for false security.
...what does a citizenship test (Most people in most countries can't pass their respective nation's citizenship tests) have to do with understanding gun politics?

Come to think of it, isn't saying 38% of your country's population's opinions don't count because they can't past an arbitrary "patriotism" test kind of anti-civil liberties? I'd be more worried about that than something most of the world doesn't consider a right anyway.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #4845
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Come to think of it, isn't saying 38% of your country's population's opinions don't count because they can't past an arbitrary "patriotism" test kind of anti-civil liberties?
Absolutely. And, in fact, pretty much every attempt to require some sort of "test" to be able to vote has been done in order to disenfranchise minorities. Talk about your violation of civil liberties!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.