Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
almightysam
Cosplay Fanatic

Help... Sound Box?

My awesome idea is this... I want to trick out one of those battery powered little kid riding jeeps to look like the jeeps from Jurassic park and have a bunch of my friends dress up as raptors and chase the guy in the jeep. The problem i am running into is i don't know how to make something that would play the raptor call from the movie. I have the clip that has the noises but i don't know what or how to make anything that would play the sound whenever we wanted. I was thinking something like those push button boxes that come in dolls and such that make repetitive noises, i just don't know how to change the sound or make one from scratch. I need something simple and relatively inexpensive. I also would like it to be kind of loud not super annoying loud but loud enough that i could be heard 20 or so feet away.
thanks for any help you can give!
almightysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

i would just use an ipod to a speaker system.... easier and cheaper?
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
djlemma

You could always just get one of those battery powered bluetooth speakers and just play the sound effect from your phone.. Assuming you already have a phone with bluetooth.
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

The sound sampling on toys (raptor or otherwise, and yes, there was a screaming raptor Jurassic Park toy) is always horrible. Yes, you could dissect one, hook it up to an amplifier and a set of speakers, and get a loud noise, but it would mostly just sound like distortion.

All you need to do is link it to a smartphone, MP3 player, Digital memo recorder, CD player, Walkman, whatever, and hook that up to some battery powered speakers. The most you gotta build is a rig to improve the portability or concealment of the setup. If you're stuck using a Walkman or microcassette recorder (try to avoid microcassette, also has a lousy sound quality) don't just record it once so it must be constantly rewound. Record it on a loop a few dozen or a few hundred times or even fill up both sides of a tape with an appropriate pause between each playback. (Do I sound like a crazy old man talking about audiotape? regardless, they're dirt cheap these days).

Also keep in mind that "can be heard from 20 feet away" in a crowded convention center is a heck of a lot different than it is in a house with no one talking.