Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

And the shipping and handling. Don't forget about that, it can get really expensive.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Manwariel

I'm sort of just echoing what others have said, but yeah, keep in mind how much more there is to a commission than the materials.

- They've probably spent months if not years of their life and hundreds of dollars gaining the skills, knowledge and tools. They've spent anywhere from $70 to over $1,000 on a sewing machine alone, plus all the materials they had to buy to make costumes to learn to sew, plus things like scissors, irons and ironing boards, rulers and measuring tapes, machine accessories like presser feet and bobbins, machine maintenance, etc. plus several hundred dollars if they have a serger to professionally finish seams.

- They'll spend time communicating with you, doing research so your costume looks authentic to the character, and finding and purchasing materials, on top of the hours it takes to actually construct the costume.

- They have office/living expenses required to get you your costume. Electricity, an internet connection, a car they buy gas and insurance for that they use to go purchase supplies, etc.

Most seamstresses I know don't even make minimum wage, let alone what their time and skills are actually worth. So it's fine to tell someone you can't afford their work, but when you can make minimum wage flipping burgers or manning a cash register after a day of training, don't begrudge them what they charge. There are probably some out there who do overcharge, but I don't think it's common.
Manwariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

99.9% of commissioners are not trying to rob you blind. They are skilled, have spent the money on equipment, and knowledge. It is insulting to call their quote too expensive...it is just too high a price range for your budget. Their time is worth something, and they skill has a value.

Lastly, I blame Walmart, seriously, people have no idea what it cost to make "a simple T-shirt" these days. It is 5$ at a huge superstore because they buy in BULK, cost always go down when your fabric/material consumption is higher.
Unread 02-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
99.9% of commissioners are not trying to rob you blind. They are skilled, have spent the money on equipment, and knowledge. It is insulting to call their quote too expensive...it is just too high a price range for your budget. Their time is worth something, and they skill has a value.
This x 1000.

For further reference, I work in IT and currently make $15/hour. Given the years I've been in IT and the fact I hold a BS in computer science, I would quite frankly be insulted if someone asked me to take minimum wage, since I know my time is worth more.

And this phenomenon isn't just limited to commissions. When I worked in title insurance, the lawyers I worked with told me all kinds of stories of people trying to wrangle free legal advice from them. Some of them had to start a policy that they would not take any calls unless the caller put money upfront to retain them. Simply because answering all these calls was taking time away from their paying clients.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote