Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
ClumsyCostumery

Question Where to Begin?

So, I am brand new to the world of making costumes, but I really want to go as Mr. Incredible to GenCon this year (that's in August, for those who don't know). I am already working on getting in shape (slimming waist and thighs, building arms and shoulders). I really want to do the best I can to bring this character to life.

Below is a picture of Mr. Incredible (in his blue suit, which is the one I prefer) for reference. I have no existing clothes that will fit this costume, so I'll need to buy/make everything. My current problem is that I don't know where to begin. Should I start by buying a shirt and working on the logo? Should I find shoes and start on boot covers? Should I try to find blue rubber boots that fit (I wear wide shoes)? Should I be trying to find a wig?

I just feel completely overwhelmed by this and was hoping that someone might have some advice.

Thanks!

ClumsyCostumery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
LittleHobbit13

What's your sewing level? Newbie? Comfortable with patterns? Comfortable with adhoc-ing it?

If you're not comfortable with as much "making", then yes, go ahead and find existing clothing articles that you can use for the costume: close-fitting shirt, leggings, etc. If you're comfortable with some sewing, but haven't done a costume before, then I recommend what I did when I was first starting. Find an existing pattern that looks as much as possible like your goal, and then you can tweak where you need to. They have patterns for gloves as well. The boots might be tricky. I still struggle with having to create my own costume footwear. If you can find something existing, GET IT. Otherwise, get a base shoe (or slipper) and then build around it (cover it with fabric, fit fabric over your leg, etc) and use some interfacing to make it stiff looking.
Gundam Wing: Duo Maxwell [Otakon 2014]
Kaichou wa Maid-sama: Misaki (Maid Latte uniform) [Otakon 2014]
Adventure Time: Flame Princess
Sabriel: Sabriel
Chihayafuru : Chihaya (red/blue tournament outfit)
LittleHobbit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
ClumsyCostumery

Thumbs up

I am a complete novice. I machine-sewed a pillow in middle school, but that's about the extent of it. I would be interested in learning to sew by hand, but as of now I have zero skills.

Thanks for your suggestions, I really had no idea where or how to begin. I'll probably start making weekly trips to the Goodwill store and keeping my ear to the ground for the more obscure items.
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Fudoo
Often lost

Okay to start off I would estimate around 120$ for this costume. Take a trip to http://www.superfansuits.com/ and get at least a black one I'd probably get a blue one too to make the process easier. Then I'd take a visit to Wal-Mart/Good-will and look for some rain/rubber boots with this you would be able to A. Get the right color. B. Spray paint the boots. C. Put the spandex on the boot. C. May not work but it's worth a shot. Same thing goes for the gloves. For the actual costume logo Just sew/glue it on using craft foam or maybe like a fabric/patch. You can pick up the mask plenty of places. As for the wig it's fairly basic so it should be easy to find in normal stores or something you can style into it. If not you can always use your own hair.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
ClumsyCostumery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoo View Post
Okay to start off I would estimate around 120$ for this costume. Take a trip to http://www.superfansuits.com/ and get at least a black one I'd probably get a blue one too to make the process easier. Then I'd take a visit to Wal-Mart/Good-will and look for some rain/rubber boots with this you would be able to A. Get the right color. B. Spray paint the boots. C. Put the spandex on the boot. C. May not work but it's worth a shot. Same thing goes for the gloves. For the actual costume logo Just sew/glue it on using craft foam or maybe like a fabric/patch. You can pick up the mask plenty of places. As for the wig it's fairly basic so it should be easy to find in normal stores or something you can style into it. If not you can always use your own hair.
First off, thank you for your suggestions! I'm really at a loss and at the very least I have some direction now. I do have some questions to ask for clarification, though.

So do you suggest slicing off the head of the black suit? I would be concerned that the rest of the suit might unravel from the top down if I did that. The same goes for the blue suit (if I buy it) since I would have to chop off the legs up to the thigh and the arms up to the shoulder.
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Fudoo
Often lost

Well really to keep it basic you could A. Flip the hood on the inside or B. Cut it then sew it
As for the body I recommend having a friend sew the blue pieces into the black part of the costume while your wearing it so its tight. As long as the costume is tight it shouldn't fall off or anything.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
ClumsyCostumery

Post Preparation

Thankfully I got more money back from my tax refund than I expected, so I have the cash to go all out. This is what I'm planning to get:

All that leaves is the gloves, the mask, the symbol, and the blue shorts/underwear. I think I can probably find the latter at Dick's Sporting Goods, too, though it's not really the kind of thing I want to search for while at work. The gloves I can probably get at Wal-Mart or Target, and the mask and symbol I'm planning to make out of felt.

Does anyone see any issues with any of this that I'm missing due to my inexperience? If not, I am planning to start ordering on Thursday so that I can get some of those clearance deals before they disappear.

Thanks for the help, again, I really needed a push in order to get going.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Fudoo
Often lost

I don't see anything wrong with it really. Make sure to get either fabric glue or sewing materials for the symbol. Also try to make sure any brand symbols are covered up.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
ClumsyCostumery

Everything has come in so far except the the Speedo-y bit.

I actually ended up ordering the black shirt, black pants, and blue chest piece from Eastbay instead of Dick's; it was much cheaper and they had the exact color of blue I wanted. The gloves aren't quite the right color, and I'm still trying to figure out how to paint my white rubber boots (couldn't get the blue ones).

Still, I am EXTREMELY pleased and I am very grateful for all the feedback. When everything comes in and is the correct color, I'll probably post a picture on this thread to show off the costume.
  3. Be Mr. Incredible
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

My suggestion for the rubber boots would definitely be to use plastidip to paint them and a sealer on top. That stuff is magic. They sell it as a spray paint, so it should be easy enough to apply.
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote