Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Belt and gloves. Help please.

Hello there again lol
I'm going to be cosplaying Ryouko Oomaki this summer and I want to make her gloves and (hopefully) buy her belt..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps20053b3e.jpg
That is her..Well this one is for the belt. It's the white one..Se the buckle? Do they MAKE belts like that? If so could anyone link one that I could just buy? I don't know what the name of that belt/buckle style is call, so searching doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...pse9b3db64.jpg
THIS one, however, is for the gloves..I wanted to use cheap boxing gloved ad a base, but she has no thumb part..They are just a big globe shape with kitties on them..I don't want to have to make them from scratch, like making boxing style gloves, but I have no clue what I could do there for a base..I'm also thinking of making them out of foam..HOWEVER..Here's the hard part..I alm willing to try some really hard tasks to get this part..In one of the episodes, they make it so everytime she hits someone with them, they "meow" and I want to put one of those noise things inside like you see in those plush balls that you throw and it makes noise inside the gloves..Any idea where to get some of those devices that I can make a meow with? I assume the easy way is get a plush meowing kitty..Anyway, any ideas on construction?

Thanks for the help
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Do they make belts like that? I don't know if they do in white, but yes. Sorry that isn't a store link, but it hints at one (that I can't reach from this machine)

Those impact sensors are pretty simple. I wish I could remember the proper term for the component. It's basically just a small spring with a weight on the end and a ring surrounding it. When the weight touches the spring, it completes a circuit.

If you only need one or two, the cheapest way to get them is probably to just cannibalize a toy. Unfortunately, it is usually pretty difficult to overwrite the audio files, so you'd have to do something like wire it up to an arduino microprocessor. I believe those can play wav files...

Another possibility would be to imbed Nintendo Wii Remotes into the gloves. Then all you need is a smartphone or other computer that supports bluetooth and you can code it up pretty easily. There are sites that specialize in wiimote hacking like this.
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

It might be easier to just put a little button inside - instead of motion sensitive, make it pressure-sensitive.

Or, a little button that you squeeze between your thumb and finger, or finger and palm. When you swing your fist, simultaneously squeeze the button to make noise.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

verdatum, AH!! Thanks so much for the link. I can just buy one of those and make a white belt and take the buckle off of it.

With the noise things, you were on the same track as me, verdatum. killing a toy for the sound thing..It's just a matter of getting it IN the glove..Should I just cut a hole in the glove? And I'm still stuck on how I can get one that doesn't have thumbs but that I can still get my hand into..I mean if I have to, I'll get regular ones but I don't know how I would get the kitty designs o it with a thumb piece in the way..

And nathancarter, Though I like that idea, I want to be able to hit a wall or something and make it make that noise..If I have to buy a boxing glove that has a thum area and somehow make the thumb permanently attached to the rest of it, that will eliminate that option..
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Midnight Dawn

Verdatum got the buckle part. So no notes on that.

As for the gloves, have you considered sock puppets? They should be relatively what you need them to be with a black and white cat design with a little modification on your part of course. Of course it's just a matter of looking around. As for the sound, I know there exists one that does that. Probably could find one for cheap at a flea market with one of those cheap toys. Of course you'll have to modify it a bit to be pressure sensitive and cushioned to prevent damage as you can place the device between your fist and the cat head so that everytime you punch it meows.
Midnight Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Hmm..nope..Didn't even think about that..Are you talking liek the kind you can buy in a store? Or the ones actually made out of a sock? Cuz both I see a lot og problems with..Neither will be anywhere near big enough..I think I'm gonna go with the boxing glove idea for right now since my brothers have a few pairs they no longer use, meaning I can try a few ideas first..
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
Midnight Dawn

Well to save hassle, why not find some cat plushies, gut them, and put it over the boxing gloves?
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Because I don't want the actual kitties to be plush..I am gonna use craft foam to make the cut outs of the pieces..
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Midnight Dawn

I'm honestly not sure about such a choice of making it out of craft foam.

But if it works definitely post pictures as I'd love to see how it turned out.
Unread 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Yea, I don't plan on like actually hitting something too hard with them..This is just proof that I have NO idea what I'm doing lol

If I can't get it to Meow, I don't really care as much as I want them to look right..That's juist extra awesomeness lolIf It was possible (and legal lol) I would do what they did in one episode and make them have tasers in them lol That seems like a terrible idea though lol
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Hey everyone, I wasn't able to do this cosplay when I planned, but I am doing it now. I have a basic plan for the gloves, but now need NEW help..As you can read above if you chose to, I was given many ideas for things that will "meow" and I can just press a button..I still want that same idea. But I need to make it LOUDER..I've seen some meowing toys I could gut, but they are nowhere near loud enough to hear over a con crowd. In fact, IN THE STORE if my head isn't almost right next to them, I can't hear them very well..Let alone at a con..So now my main problem is making it louder..I was thinking of buying a speaker and putting it in the kitties head, but I wasn't sure if JUST using a bigger speaker would necessarily make it louder, or just be a waist of money on the toy..I know I can get a kitty meow sound online pretty easily..Are there any one sound buttons I can use to hook up to a speaker?

I'm thinking like, a sound chip thing that holds a microSD that has the sound downloaded onto it. But I'm sure those of you that have helped me before (referring to my other sound and lights thread) already know I'm really bad with knowing about this stuff..I was told about this on in that thread:
http://www.amazon.com/RE-Recordable-...vglnk-c2179-20
If anyone knows what to do to put that to a speaker, I can just buy THAT and call it good..I mean yes, it does have a speaker, but that's aweful small..If you guys don't think a bigger one is needed then I can buy this as is. Anyway, opinions?

Next, I still have yet to find a belt like the one linked above by verdatum.This one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/biondoart/3661456481/
I've done tons of searching for them and never once found something with that buckle..
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #12
verdatum

It isn't so much about a bigger speaker, though that is a part of it. But just as important it proper amplification. If you just wire up a bigger speaker, it won't be any louder. It just might make the sound a little less tinny, at best. An amplifier uses a second power source to kick up the power on the audio so you can drive a bigger speaker.

I spent awhile searching for the buckle with no luck. Finding specific buckles is such a pain, since they don't have widely used common descriptions.
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

for the speaker, I know I ask YOU a lot since you seem to know all this stuff better around here, if I buy an amp, I don't know how to connect these things..Like if using that same speaker it comes with, them wiring an amp to it, I could do it, but I don't know how, or what kind of amp to get or anything..Since I'm using boxing gloves as a base, I can easily cut away into the glove to make a crevasse for the pieces..

EDIT: Oh also, I might wanna add, I have a sorta, "other way" to also do this is I can do it loud enough..If you look at the pictures you can see she wears that belt, well ON that belt in the back, is a pouch with 2 flaps..I am making it one with one bigger one so I can carry my wallet and phone in one, then the other one will be empty..I just thought, maybe if I just carry a school bag around like she does, I can put that stuff in there, and use the pouch as my sound system..I can put an amp in one side and a speaker in the other..Now I HAVE a speaker that can take LOUD as crap noises without blowing..It came from a mini guitar amp which I have used many times and its still in tact..I can wire that and the amp to the sound chips. This way I only need one chip since the sound will not come from inside the gloves..So my question now is: What do I need and how to wire that up? Like I don't know anything about amps or whatever..If you need, I can tell you info from the speaker I have if it has any writing on it when I get back to my house. But I figure to get it loud enough, I will need like a certain wattage on the amp right? Anyway, I may sound a little confusing since I don't really know this stuff, but any help would be great. Thank you.

Oh and as for the belt, I think I will just have to go with a white cloth belt (like a scout belt that I have) and just put a snap on it, then cover the snap's head with a clay buckle and use the snap as the closure and the buckle as decoration.

Last edited by Jei-Cos : 12-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
verdatum

If your sound generator has a headphone or line-out jack, then you'd just use that. If not, then you'd clip the wires to the crummy speaker and then solder them to a mono headphone jack.

For an amp, you probably want to just find an appropriately sized set of battery-powered external speakers. Make sure it uses a headphone jack, and not some weird ipod hookup or something. By nature of it needing its own set of batteries means that it has an integrated amplifier. One speaker will have the amp, the other will just be a speaker. Cut off the 2nd speaker, and, if needed, strip away the case of the amped speaker, keeping the wiring in-tact. Plug the wire into the headphone jack, tweak the volume on both the sound generator and the amp so that the sound is loud without sounding overly distorted.

I can't tell you exactly what to buy since size is a major concern. But speakers like those are sold at best buy or radio shack, and I'm sure there are hundreds of them on Amazon.com
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

That sorta lost me..by sound generator do you mean the speakers? or the chip that has the sound? If you mean the chip, I was planning on buying the linked one, which doesn't..I do have speakers with headphone jacks that I can take apart though..I have a good one that I can do that too, but it's completely low..I can barely hear it just sitting on my porch..so that amp in there would be completely useless..I don't relaly understand where the headphone part comes in..Nothing I was talking about or mentioned will have a jack in it.

I mean sure I can take apart the 2 speakers of a computer speaker set, but I still won't know what I'm doing..Isn't there a way to just take the chip I linked, a speaker and an amp and just connect them all?

I think the main part I don't get out of all of that, is the headphone fack..While yes, there is always one on a speaker system like that, there ISN'T anything for the other side to plug into on the chip..So the wire would literally be going to nothing..

Oh and the reason I asked what to buy, was because I already own the speaker and extra, and was planning on that linked chip, so other then that, all I would need is an amp right? If there were more things I would need in that exact situation, what would they be? Like, remember my last thread about lights? You told me, the list of materials was lights, resisters, battery clip, button, etc, etc..right? In this, the items (not specific) to narrow down the list of needed pieces, would be? Speaker, amp, wire, that chip (already has the usb downloader and the button), so if there are other items to finish this setup, what would they be? I assume maybe batteries, but I think that the chip has a battery on it, so all you need to do is replace that when dead..

Last edited by Jei-Cos : 12-02-2013 at 04:19 PM.