Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 02-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

FF13-3 Lightning: Shield Help

Hello there,

I'm currently hard at work on my cosplay of FFXIII-3's version of Lightning. Pretty much have it all figured out except for this freaking shield.

It's not the red and cream part that I can't figure out; it's the brassy under-shield...thing. So intricate. What on earth can I construct it out of? I want it to be nice and dimensional, not flat-backed. The second picture I've posted is a nice up-close shot of it.

Reference pictures:

I'm completely willing to sit down and sculpt by hand if I have to because I do not have access to *any* heavy equipment.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Tifa ~
Vanilla flavour

Actually, the second one is another costume, give us another pic so we can help you :3
Tifa ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa ~ View Post
Actually, the second one is another costume, give us another pic so we can help you :3
Oh my goodness. I thought it was the same under-shield! This is what I get for running around without my contacts. :x

Here are all the photos I've compiled:

Thank you~~~
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Tifa ~
Vanilla flavour

Omg, sooo intricated °° I'd make it of wonderflex, which can be cut and then shaped with heat. I think it would be perfect. Here in Italy we widely used semi-expanded pvc sheets, which look great and work in the same way. If you can find something like these, it would be perfect for you and save you a lot of work.
Tifa ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifa ~ View Post
Omg, sooo intricated °° I'd make it of wonderflex, which can be cut and then shaped with heat. I think it would be perfect. Here in Italy we widely used semi-expanded pvc sheets, which look great and work in the same way. If you can find something like these, it would be perfect for you and save you a lot of work.
Thank you so much for your input! I have a few questions for you since I've never worked with Wonderflex before. :x

1) Where can I buy Wonderflex from? It's only available online, right?
2) If I want the prop to be dimensional (not flat-backed), I know that I'm going to have to create two halves and then join them when the Wonderflex is heated. Is the Wonderflex stable and strong on it's own if I do this, or will I need to create a "base" out of another material to make sure that it keeps it's shape?

Overall, I think these methods are the best options suggested to me so far. ^____^ I know it's going to be a lot of work no matter what I choose, but this Wonderflex is something I can work with using materials I already have at home.

Thank you thank you thank you.