Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #376
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Personally I really hate it when people say "Die in a fire".

I've had relatives that actually HAVE died in a fire and it's an absolutely horrible thing to go through.It's a painful way to die and there is literally nothing left of your loved one to bury but ashes.

Why would you wish such a horrible thing on another human being? Think before you say something like this.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #377
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post

I've had relatives that actually HAVE died in a fire and it's an absolutely horrible thing to go through.It's a painful way to die and there is literally nothing left of your loved one to bury but ashes.

Why would you wish such a horrible thing on another human being?
I don't utilize this expression, but I'm still in favor of getting rid of pedarests and/or human traffickers this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #378
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I don't utilize this expression, but I'm still in favor of getting rid of pedarests and/or human traffickers this way.
That I could see. Burning at the stake or draw and quartering would be fitting punishments for those types.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #379
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post

Why would you wish such a horrible thing on another human being? Think before you say something like this.
I have to admit, when I was a little bit younger I was guilty of using this saying. =_=; I agree with you, it really is a terrible thing to say. Any sort of death wish to that effect really is horrible if you think about it.

On a similar note, posts that have the reaction picture: "This post gave me cancer" are really unsettling to me, even when the post it's responding to is stupid and facepalm-worthy. I have several friends/relatives/relatives of friends that have had cancer and/or lost a loved one to cancer. Thankfully, nobody very close to me has never had it, but I find the saying extremely distasteful regardless.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #380
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

Every time I go to buy pizza in the plaza I work in. The owner of the pizza place asks me how business is doing at my job by asking, "Hey, buddy, how's it going in the jungle over there?" 'cuz he knows I work there.

Um, excuse you, sir. I do not work in a jungle.

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #381
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Every jack ass who sees me at my desk at work and I'm reading/watching something on my free time and says "Don't work too hard" needs a broom shoved up their ass.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #382
Curucar

I was taught multiplication by somebody who used the phrase 'close but no cigar' EVERY time you were wrong. And I sucked at multiplication. 20 years later and that phrase still makes me twitch.
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #383
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Any phrase that throws around the word rape. I hear it alot over online gaming, and even my friends use the term flippantly if someone touches them unexpectedly in the stomach or something.

No.

It is not okay to make a joke of/compare something like that to the terrible act of rape. I don't get offended terribly easily, but that's one of the places where I draw the line.
daniel tosh makes rape jokes all the time, that is not funny. I heard a long time ago that some people joke around with it to make them feel better about someone who they knew was raped or where raped themselves.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #384
Chaletica
[laughs]

Using "autism/autistic" (or sometimes even "aspergers/'sperging'") as an insult. This seems to be especially common in "certain corners" of the internet...
...I can't stand that, especially seeing how I'm autistic myself (aspergers). I just have a hard time staying in communities where this is common.
Though, the kind of people that tends to use it doesn't exactly seem to be too concerned with being "politically correct", and flings around all other kinds of slurs just because they think they're being soooo cool and edgy, lol look at those *insert racist/homophobic/ect. slur*s being so butthurt, gtfo the internet if you don't like it.

Oh yeah, that's another one. The whole "get off the internet(if you don't like it)/welcome to the internet" usually in response to someone being "offended" by something (that they often have every right to be offended by). The internet culture shouldn't be a free pass for acting like a dickbag and being as offensive as possible, where anyone "offended" just has to deal with it or leave. I can't stand that attitude at all. At least keep it in your own corners of the net. (Besides, in this day and age it would be pretty hard to literally "stay off the internet"...)

Last edited by Chaletica : 02-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #385
Amanita

^Pretty much that. If people want to create their own spaces where they have free license to be as crass as they wanna be, then fine. Or if they want to join a community where that sort of behavior is the norm, fine. But keep it in those sorts of places, don't act like a dick in more civil communities.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #386
Chaletica
[laughs]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^Pretty much that. If people want to create their own spaces where they have free license to be as crass as they wanna be, then fine. Or if they want to join a community where that sort of behavior is the norm, fine. But keep it in those sorts of places, don't act like a dick in more civil communities.
Indeed! When I see it on "big" sites like facebook/youtube/tumblr/ect. i'm just "no, shut up. These sites should be ok for everyone to use."

Also "You just have to learn to laugh at it and take a joke" as a response to said kinds of offensive jokes targeting "your" group. No. I mean, great for you if you can personally laugh it off, but everyone can't. Sometimes people have reason to be offended by it. I can "take a joke", but there are subjects I'm sensitive about (or just really, really sick of, like kitchen/sandwich jokes) and I can't just "laugh them off", and honestly shouldn't need to just so other people can be free to make jokes like that. Similarily, "get a sense of humor". I do have a sense of humor, and those kinds of jokes just aren't funny.

Last edited by Chaletica : 02-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #387
sillymyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
On a similar note, posts that have the reaction picture: "This post gave me cancer" are really unsettling to me, even when the post it's responding to is stupid and facepalm-worthy. I have several friends/relatives/relatives of friends that have had cancer and/or lost a loved one to cancer. Thankfully, nobody very close to me has never had it, but I find the saying extremely distasteful regardless.
Amen. My mom passed away from cancer, and sometimes my friends slip out something like "I hope that guy dies from cancer." Unfortunately, cancer is a serious thing that really should not be joked about. Now, I have quite a margin of tolerance for humor, but there's a line that can be crossed.

I go to a public high school that has quite a number of colloquial delinquents. They constantly throw around racial slurs and profanity, but when they say "Dead ass!"(some sort of casual lingo for "seriously") I want to rip my hair out. Like, of all the things you could say to substitute the word "seriously," why does it have to be something that sounds so crude?
TooManyGames
New York Comic Convention

.:2014 Cosplays:.
Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gijinka! Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nagisa Hazuki (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Ravio ( LOZ: A Link Between Worlds)
Charlie Vergier (Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure)

My deviantART: http://narusaku4eva44.deviantart.com/
sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #388
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

"That's so gay", in referring to an inanimate object.

Yes, I'm gay, but frankly, that's not really why it bothers me. I know it bothers and offends a lot of LGBTQ/LGBTQ supporters, but that isn't my reason. My reason is that IT IS AN INANIMATE OBJECT. It cannot have sexual preference. It doesn't even have a gender. Not to mention, substituting the word "stupid" with "gay" doesn't even make sense. If you want to say something is stupid, at least have it make logical sense.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #389
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
"That's so gay", in referring to an inanimate object.

Yes, I'm gay, but frankly, that's not really why it bothers me. I know it bothers and offends a lot of LGBTQ/LGBTQ supporters, but that isn't my reason. My reason is that IT IS AN INANIMATE OBJECT. It cannot have sexual preference. It doesn't even have a gender. Not to mention, substituting the word "stupid" with "gay" doesn't even make sense. If you want to say something is stupid, at least have it make logical sense.
So "esto es extraño" wouldn't bug you? Somehow I doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #390
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
So "esto es extraño" wouldn't bug you? Somehow I doubt that.
Seeing as how A. I don't speak Spanish and B. the entire Spanish language was created with inanimate object "genders" in mind, no, not particularly.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote