Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #46
oOKawaiiJessyOo
nerdletron :3

Thanks for all the great advice for first-timers, TheAnarCHris! It's really nice to know the behaviour of the attendees at a con. Some anime conventions have gone on my bad list because of it...

My group was only able to get Saturday passes because we all waited too late for 3 day. REALLY looking forward to it. From what you've said, I understand there isn't too much cosplay; however, my group (8-9 people) will all be in League of Legends cosplay. I'm very excited!

Also thanks to riathewolf for the suggestion to take shuttles to the con. Is there a universal shuttle or do you just mean the ones from local hotels? We are staying outside the city near a friend and if we shouldn't drive in due to a better option, that would be awesome!
PAX East - Boston, MA
Otakon - Batimore, MD
Blizzcon - Anaheim, CA
More are tenative...
Spellthief Lux *League of Legends*[||||||] 99%
Muse Sona *League of Legends*
oOKawaiiJessyOo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #47
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKawaiiJessyOo View Post
Thanks for all the great advice for first-timers, TheAnarCHris! It's really nice to know the behaviour of the attendees at a con. Some anime conventions have gone on my bad list because of it...

My group was only able to get Saturday passes because we all waited too late for 3 day. REALLY looking forward to it. From what you've said, I understand there isn't too much cosplay; however, my group (8-9 people) will all be in League of Legends cosplay. I'm very excited!

Also thanks to riathewolf for the suggestion to take shuttles to the con. Is there a universal shuttle or do you just mean the ones from local hotels? We are staying outside the city near a friend and if we shouldn't drive in due to a better option, that would be awesome!
There's a dedicated LoL area inside the Exhibitor's Hall BTW. For maximum love, go to there.

For the shuttles, I'm not sure what the gameplan is this year. There were free shuttles last year because Anime Boston was the same weekend. I'm not sure what's going this year, although TBH, I have looked into it much.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #48
riathewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKawaiiJessyOo View Post

I'm not entirely sure on this year but last year the hotels with PAX blocks had shuttle routes that were very convenient. They didn't head out of the city though so it probably won't be much help.
riathewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Finished up my flight booking for PAX East. Yea! I'm so excited to be going! First time. ^^

Thanks everyone for the info so far. Good tips for the newbies which is very much appreciated.

I know that I'll be cosplying as Celes from FF6 one day (and I'm glad to see you'll be Terra @riathewolf I won't be alone, yea!) and no clue about the second/third days. It'll be nice to get back to a gaming con. I miss them...
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #50
riathewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifaia View Post
I know that I'll be cosplying as Celes from FF6 one day (and I'm glad to see you'll be Terra @riathewolf I won't be alone, yea!) and no clue about the second/third days. It'll be nice to get back to a gaming con. I miss them...
Oh yay!! I have a friend coming as Celes too! We'll have to find each other and take some pictures.
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #51
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Cosplay wise, this is probably the most I've brought to a PAX in years -Leon Kennedy (RE6), Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes), and probably something Saints Row the 3rd related, because I've yet to run around at PAX East in a suit.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #52
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

I have no idea which costumes to take with me. Probably Wendy from Gravity Falls just for kicks and cuz she's comfy, but that's all I've got :/
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #53
Bwentali

gonna do bad maw from borderlands 2, at least two of the days. last day will be picture taking I think.
Bwentali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #54
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
I have no idea which costumes to take with me. Probably Wendy from Gravity Falls just for kicks and cuz she's comfy, but that's all I've got :/
If anything, I'll use this information to get Carrie to finish her Mabel cosplay. THEN WE CAN ALL GET DRUNK ON SMILE DIP!

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #55
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
If anything, I'll use this information to get Carrie to finish her Mabel cosplay. THEN WE CAN ALL GET DRUNK ON SMILE DIP!
http://fim.413chan.net/fim/src/12988..._So_Much_y.gif

Banned candy aside, I hope I can get something new made for PAX. I'm just so bad with time managment though...
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #56
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
http://fim.413chan.net/fim/src/12988..._So_Much_y.gif

Banned candy aside, I hope I can get something new made for PAX. I'm just so bad with time managment though...
A Fluttergif! FlutterMai is back on point, huzzah!

THE SUGGESTION-BOT 9000 suggests something from either a Suda 51 game (No More Heroes, Lollipip Chainsaw) or Resident Evil so that you can pale around with us at some point the weekend, not until NYCC Scott Pilgrim times. Saints Row the 3rd is fine as well.

Unread 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #57
ayimera

This will be my first time at PAX as well. I am used to the crowd at Katsucon/Otakon and usually focus on cosplay 24/7 at these events. I did attend GenCon in the past, though, and it was a TON of walking and a way different genre.

I love games and I mostly cosplay characters from games (i.e. Fallout, Mass Effect, etc). I'm worried about walking though, and wearing something that is comfortable. Should I scrap my costumes and just enjoy the convention? I know my Tali'Zorah would be popular, but holy god I cannot see/hear/be heard with her helmet. Also, I am considering doing Raven from teen titans - would this go over well with the PAX crowd or would it be more like "wtf is this person doing"?
ayimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #58
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayimera View Post
This will be my first time at PAX as well. I am used to the crowd at Katsucon/Otakon and usually focus on cosplay 24/7 at these events. I did attend GenCon in the past, though, and it was a TON of walking and a way different genre.

I love games and I mostly cosplay characters from games (i.e. Fallout, Mass Effect, etc). I'm worried about walking though, and wearing something that is comfortable. Should I scrap my costumes and just enjoy the convention? I know my Tali'Zorah would be popular, but holy god I cannot see/hear/be heard with her helmet. Also, I am considering doing Raven from teen titans - would this go over well with the PAX crowd or would it be more like "wtf is this person doing"?
Keep this in mind: Katsucon/Otakon are about 10-14k/23k in attendance respestively. PAX is
60k+. I imagine PAX is more like GenCon than anything.

I love Tali, and she would get a ton of love from the crowd, but the space for PAX is massive, and reguires a ton of walking around. If you're not in the main hotel, I can imagine it being a bit draining, so it's your call.

As for Raven, I'm sure people will know who the character is from the comics/cartoon, and no one will give you poop for wearing her, but again, Video game/Table top con. Honestly I would say just rock Tali for a little bit (especially if Bioware shows up and has a dedicated room again) and spend the rest of the time scoping out the con.

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
riathewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayimera View Post

I wore Daenerys Targaryen last year and it was a great sucess. I also saw some Firefly people, so I think Raven would go over fine. I do vote for some Tali time though because she's awesome!
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #60
musepoetique
Tuturu~

I never miss a PAX East and this year will be my first time cosplaying.
musepoetique is offline   Reply With Quote