Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #181
melodea

I just personally called the hotel and verified with hotel staff that THE GAZEBO IS AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC USE. You just cannot have any tripods or photography equipment taking up space/located on the floor.

Everyone scheduled to have Photogatherings at the Gazebo, I don't think you all should worry. I spent time talking to multiple hotel staff members regarding this "off-limits policy" and they simply stated that the gazebo is available for everyone and no such ban has been implemented.

This does not mean that rules may change over the course of the weekend. I'd keep ears open for any updates, but as for now, if the hotel staff says the gazebo is available to the public, then I'd go by what they say.

Otakon 2014 Line-up
Cain (Starfighter) | F!Robin (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Hatsune Miku (Love-colored Ward) | Secret Cosplay (???)
Hinata Ema (Brothers Conflict)

Amateur Cosplayer & Cosplay Photographer. Professional Derp. :'D
Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by melodea : 02-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.
melodea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #182
smashleysmash

Name: Rise of the Guardians "Jack Attack!"

Day of the gathering: Sunday

Time in which the gathering will take place: 2:00

Location the gathering will be: Hotel Lobby, to be moved after meet up.
smashleysmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #183
Darkspine29
Queen of Plantains

With Katsucon less than 15 hours away I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone of a few things so that everyone's photoshoots/gatherings may go smoothly. I will continue to update the spreadsheet until late Friday night, but for everyone who will be there tomorrow (or even tonight) have a safe and happy Katsucon!
  • This spreadsheet/list is in no way "Con-Official" Anything a staff member says trumps what is on the spreadsheet. If they ask you to move, please do so.
  • Please try to limit your use of a photo space to the 30 minutes you have spoken for This does not mean your gathering can only last 30 minutes, it just means that after your "official" time with a location is up, please let any waiting group move in to take their pictures and continue your gathering off to the side or elsewhere. I know 30 minutes isn't that long, but due to the large amounts of photoshoots happening this year it is kind of unavoidable
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #184
pc_alchemist
Lolita Princess

I believe what happened with the Gazebo is that Katsucon got double booked and the Jewish youth group kids did technically pay to have the Gazebo space but I think the youth people are still allowing con goers to use the space. IDK what that actually looks like as I'm not at the con yet.

I would tell your shoots to meet at the Gazebo and if it being used by youth members then to "meet and move." Lets just try to share the space considering there is gonna be 500 extra people at the con. @_@
pc_alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #185
Darkspine29
Queen of Plantains

It appears the worst case scenario has reared it's head. The official word from Katsucon is that THE GAZEBO AND THE DOORS ACROSS FROM IT WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR PHOTOSHOOTS THROUGHOUT THE CON Here is the link if you don't believe me. http://www.katsucon.org/news/cherry-...r-unavailable/

What does this mean if you're group was scheduled to have shoot there? I honestly don't know. Quite frankly this is a huge bomb to drop on guests the day the convention starts but at this point there is not much we can do. If your group has a photoshoot at either the gazebo itself or the doors across from the gazebo I would suggest meeting up as close to the foyer as you can, and then moving to another spot. The fountains are still available for use, but please respect the groups who signed up for shoots at the fountains to begin with. Groups who did sign up for a shoot at the fountain, try and share as best you can. We are all trying to make the best of a terrible situation.
I will be available to put down any last minute changes on the schedule through Saturday morning You can either post here or PM me directly, though a PM I will likely respond to quicker.
I know this sucks but try and keep a positive attitude and remember this is not the BBYO's fault. Please be as respectful to their convention goers as possible, as well as the Katsucon staffers, as they are probably just as frustrated as we are. No need to make a bad situation worse by giving Katsucon a bad name and endangering our chances of being able to use the Gaylord next year.

I hope everyone is still able to enjoy the con to the fullest, keep your head up.
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #186
musepoetique
Tuturu~

I just want to say thank you for making this list and keeping us all informed. Awesome job!
musepoetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #187
Kamikaze Miko

League of Legends has been moved to 12:30 to the indoor fountains.
Kamikaze Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #188
Fudoo
Often lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspine29 View Post
It appears the worst case scenario has reared it's head. The official word from Katsucon is that THE GAZEBO AND THE DOORS ACROSS FROM IT WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR PHOTOSHOOTS THROUGHOUT THE CON Here is the link if you don't believe me. http://www.katsucon.org/news/cherry-...r-unavailable/

What does this mean if you're group was scheduled to have shoot there? I honestly don't know. Quite frankly this is a huge bomb to drop on guests the day the convention starts but at this point there is not much we can do. If your group has a photoshoot at either the gazebo itself or the doors across from the gazebo I would suggest meeting up as close to the foyer as you can, and then moving to another spot. The fountains are still available for use, but please respect the groups who signed up for shoots at the fountains to begin with. Groups who did sign up for a shoot at the fountain, try and share as best you can. We are all trying to make the best of a terrible situation.
I will be available to put down any last minute changes on the schedule through Saturday morning You can either post here or PM me directly, though a PM I will likely respond to quicker.
I know this sucks but try and keep a positive attitude and remember this is not the BBYO's fault. Please be as respectful to their convention goers as possible, as well as the Katsucon staffers, as they are probably just as frustrated as we are. No need to make a bad situation worse by giving Katsucon a bad name and endangering our chances of being able to use the Gaylord next year.

I hope everyone is still able to enjoy the con to the fullest, keep your head up.
If so I blame Katsucon to the fullest extent possible. If Katsucon doesn't have the sense to reserve pretty much the best photoshoot area. It'll be the last time I go. I'd also hate to say it but these "Jewish followers" are going to have a hard time for Katsucon is LOUD. They aren't going to have a very peaceful time. Just think about it Angry Otakus + Loud Music + ridiculously huge costumes = A big mess and a lot of noise. I doubt they'll make it out without harassment either. They picked probably the worse weekend possible to come to the Gaylord.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #189
evenstar1
heart of darkness

I have been here at the convention and have already had to deal with this crap. First off ot is actually the jewish conventions and this is what I got from the hotel staff. The people running the other convention don't want the kids fratenizing with us and have requested that they seperate them from us. This is the whole reason the gazebo area is "unavailable". Personally I say good luck to them enforcing that as that is also a main traffic area. Also the kids from this jewish con are the rudest I have ever run into and we have already had problems with them. Honestly theu are the loudest most obnoxious group I have ever run into. They are also making using the elebators difficult. Anyways this is just a warning for the weekend to come.
Alone:Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas
Nezumi:No. 6
Nagisa:Free!
Xemnas:Kingdom Hearts
Sebastian:Kuroshitsuji
evenstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #190
MarchMochaHare
s'mores dragon

Name: MLP:FiM
Day: Saturday
Time: 2:30
Link:http: //www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=4610239&posted=1#post4610239
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #191
ThatDragonGal
Sorry for party rockin'.

Wow guys, I had no idea this was a problem. I was at the con yesterday to pick up my badge and came across the youth group. I did not realize they were not allowing people to use the gazebo. I want to apologize for anyone who had or may have trouble using the space. However, I encourage you to speak with hotel and convention staff if you run into any problems, they are there to help. The Gazebo is supposed to be public space, if anyone tells you otherwise, please seek out hotel staff. If you happen to see me (I will be cosplaying Russia with a knitted scarf this morning and Praxis (all in black and an eye patch) in the afternoon), I am available to help if need be and I will have the photogatherings list on me.

I really hope this does not discourage anyone, and though I am not a staffer I assure you that Katsucon would want you all to be able to use the spaces available for the best possible photos. Taking photos is part of the convention and keeps con-goers happy. I apologize again if anyone has run into any trouble.
ThatDragonGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #192
melodea

Yeah it's a bummer now that's its official. :| wish there was better communication.

BlazBlue meet has officially moved to indoor fountains, same time.

Saturday, 9pm, Indoor Fountains.

Otakon 2014 Line-up
Cain (Starfighter) | F!Robin (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Hatsune Miku (Love-colored Ward) | Secret Cosplay (???)
Hinata Ema (Brothers Conflict)

Amateur Cosplayer & Cosplay Photographer. Professional Derp. :'D
Facebook | Instagram
melodea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #193
Darkspine29
Queen of Plantains

Spreadsheet updated!