Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
FusionRose
Cosplayer from London, UK

Smile First Time at Anime Expo

Hi,

This will be my first time at Anime Expo.

I've from England and have been to cons before but never any to America.

Was just wondering if anyone could spare any advice on the best things to do, or things not to do.

And it would be great to befriend some people before going out there!

Thanks =] x.
FusionRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

Well, there's a few restaurants nearby. There's some inexpensive options (Denny's IHOP, Subway), but the ramen-budget crowd usually overruns them. Spend some time on Google Maps and figure out where you want to eat. There's a lot of places to choose from.

If you're staying at the Westin Bonaventure, their 6-floor lobby is a mini-mall with a Subway, karaoke, and other restaurants both expensive and mom-and-pop stands.

There's a Lucky Strike Bowl at L.A. Live. It's an adult couture bowling alley/bar, so there's a dress code and they cost a bit.

Little Tokyo is a $12 cab ride from the area. It's a slice of another country in Los Angeles. Some people recommend walking, I don't. There's a depreciated area between the Financial District and Little Tokyo known as "Skid Row" that's full of homeless and a few crackheads wandering around.

I'm working on putting together a block of rooms and group dinners for everyone who wants to so we can sit around and chat a bit. If you're interested in meeting up, send me a PM and we'll keep in touch!
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Numta

As FusionRose (my wife) said any information would be great! =D
Numta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
daylight
Sugar Junkie

hmmm well, the most important thing would be to keep in mind that LA isnt the safest neighborhood, just make sure you keep common sense and remember general safety precautions
like dont go out a night alone (walk with someone back to your hotel room/car), dont wander around by yourself, dot talk to strangers who are obviously not form the convention, just as you would do at any con but just be slightly more careful

yes and I would recommend meeting up with some people when you get here, that way you will have friends to help you if you may need it

the dealers room and artist alley are defiantly a must, the exhibit hall is huge and there are lots of interesting things to see

I wouldnt go for food in the convention center, its overpriced and dosnt taste very good
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
Aufklarung

Many agreeable opinions have already been shared.

If you intend to cosplay...

Due to private buses being the principle form of travel between the convention center and the hotel, make sure your outfit can fit on the bus (able to enter through the doors and comfortably be seated). If you can not then consider putting it on at the convention center itself via the bathrooms.

Cosplay Office: Room 510

Last edited by Aufklarung : 01-27-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Aufklarung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
FusionRose
Cosplayer from London, UK

Thanks for the info guys, you've been a really big help! =D x
FusionRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

also every year about 2 weeks before ax, one of the ax staff members (im blanking on his name) posts a first time con/ax vid. really helpful!
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
also every year about 2 weeks before ax, one of the ax staff members (im blanking on his name) posts a first time con/ax vid. really helpful!
Michael Tang? IMO, his vid is somewhat helpful but it's alll about good judgement and common sense to get through Day 0 to Closing Ceremonies.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo - Saturday only
Long Beach Comic Con - Didn't know this con was in September, did not attend
Pacific Media Expo - Did not attend
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

These are just a few helpful tips I've learned over the years.
(just realized this may also go into "Surviving a convention." Sorry for any repeats.

WEAR. COMFORTABLE. SHOES.
I cannot stress this enough.
If your feet are unhappy, YOU are unhappy.
Yours Truly made that mistake with a pair of 3" heels at her very first con. Never. Again.
I've been to multiple cons at that convention center, and I used to work the International World Trade gift shows there twice a year for my previous job. That center is enormous! Prepare to easily walk a few kilometers in the first day alone.

Snack Time!
Pocket sized snacks will work.
Protein snacks and water (electrolyte infused water is good). The food there is expensive (but the nachos are good), and the line at the Starbucks tends to not move that quickly.

Bring cash.
Most of the boothies (if not all) will accept credit cards. But, you never know about that one random booth that has the perfect manga to can't live without, yet they're having issues with their cell service and can't get the Cube to work to swipe your card. Also, the ATMs will charge at least $3 per transaction.

Prepair a personal kit.
Ladies, you know this will all end in tears if you don't keep track of the calendar...
In general, asprin will help those "I'm so excited, I can't see straight!" Disneyland-fever headaches.
Be 100% diligent in taking your medication (if you have any.)

Buddy System
This is a fickle tip...
Bring a friend, or meet at least one person that you click with and you both agree to hang out while you're there. That'll mean you're not completely alone, and you can feel less exposed when the sun goes down and you're exhausted from the whole experience. I've found that a lot of people understand the importance of this, and most people are good-hearted. Swap numbers so you can meet up between --or for--your respective panel-viewings, or game time (or karaoke). Who knows? You may wind up saying "I really enjoyed hanging out with 'so-and-so' at the con" when you recount your stories to friends and family.
The buddy system is also helpful in case of accidents.

And have fun! ^_^
Just remember that even the old-timers forget the basics, too.

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote