Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 01-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Chaletica
[laughs]

Male patterns - measurements?

So I'm a girl planning to cosplay as Apollo Justice, and getting the patterns soon.

However, I'm wondering about how to measure the patterns, or if I have to do any changes. I getting men's patterns for this, since he's a guy. Now obviously, they're made for a male body shape, and might not quite fit me if I just go right after the pattern... then again I am cosplaying a guy, so I might like to keep some of that shape, but I don't think it would look too good if the clothes fit all wrong. So should I alter the patterns in some way? What do you think?

Last edited by Chaletica : 01-28-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
thelovelysin
Informant

I say, go with the pattern measurements, the clothes are supposed to be for males. Measure yourself with your chest properly bound and your waist padded if you're worried about it not fitting right. Also, from what I've seen and from my own experience I think wearing mens clothing that are a little loose is better since it's hides your figure more and a little more accurate on how it's supposed to be worn. If you notice, most guys don't usually wear clothing that is form fitting, like women seem to do.

Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke): 100% complete
Ja'far (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic): 75% complete
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Chaletica
[laughs]

Yeah, that's what I thought... I wear a binder for cosplaying men, but I have no experience padding my waist, I should try that. thanks!
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Chaletica
[laughs]

And another thing I feel I should add... I'm short and small, and I'm worried the smallest men's size on the pattern might be too big for me. I use a size 34 (european size) in women's clothing, but I wonder if the men's size 34 (the smallest pattern) would be a bit bigger. So would I just have to make the pattern a bit smaller? I don't think it would look good either way it's it's WAY too big. I guess the best would do is to measure the pattern itself and see if I need to do adjustments...
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
thelovelysin
Informant

Hmmmm...I think it's better to go with the smaller pattern for now, but before you sew it all together, pin it and try it on. If it looks too awkward for you take it in but don't take it in too much at the waist, you still want to keep it's male shape.

Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke): 100% complete
Ja'far (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic): 75% complete
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
cyan-sonata

If you can, try and find children's patterns! The medium size of 'boys' patterns tends to fit me.
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Start with the pattern based on your measurements, and tailor it from there. If you're really unsure if it will need a load of tailoring to fit you, make a mockup out of cheap fabric first and do all of your tailoring on it, until you're happy with it.

Basically, you begin by deciding what you're going to do to your body to make it more male-ish. Bind. Anything else (padding, etc) depends on how the rest of you is shaped after you bind, whether you really want to pass or just look "good," and how much effort you want to go into every time you wear the costume. Once you decide that, then tailor the costume to fit you when you're in all your underpinnings. And make sure to wear said underpinnings while fitting it.

That's actually the same advice I would give anyone making any costume for any body, but a lot of people don't think of it when they're working from patterns. The same advice I give someone fitting a Victorian gown over a corset applies to someone fitting a suitcoat or waistcoat to a bound chest. Either way, settle on your underpinnings first and fit your pattern to your body. Even if a small is too large, it's better to start too large and take it in along darts and seams than it is to size up a pattern that's too small.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote