Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > A-Kon

Unread 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

The Complete Guide to Project A-Kon

The Complete Guide has returned this year, updated for the Hilton Anatole.

You can find The Complete Guide in its current form at our podcast homepage:
http://www.cospod.org

Scroll down towards the bottom, and the links are there. Please download the items instead of trying to view them in-browser since some are quite large.

PLEASE NOTE: many of the documents, especially the maps, are subject to change and update. Check the dates next to each document to make sure your copy is up-to-date.

The Events calendar and A-Kon schedule will not appear in The Complete Guide until just before the convention due to lack of information.

Last edited by Celyddon : 02-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

This will be awesome for this year, especially for those of us who aren't from Dallas or the surrounding area. I'm in Dallas multiple times a year, but usually am confined to certain areas (mostly right in the heart of downtown where the Sheraton was and Deep Ellum for concerts), so I don't know what all will be near us at the con. Restaurants and shopping areas (like for Target or Wal-Mart) will be extremely helpful.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I was working on the Grocers/Retailers map last night, and the only nearby big-box store I found was Kroger...I'll try again tonight and specifically look for certain stores instead of doing a general search.
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyddon View Post
I was working on the Grocers/Retailers map last night, and the only nearby big-box store I found was Kroger...I'll try again tonight and specifically look for certain stores instead of doing a general search.
Awesome, thanks! I know that there was a Target not too far from the Sheraton, and since I know where the Hilton is because I've stayed near it, it wouldn't be a HUGE drive to go there. I like going to a Target store because I work there and can get discounts^^ But when it comes down to it, as long as there are places I can get to if the need arises, that's fine.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

These documents are done/resurrected from the forums:

Parents' Guide to A-Kon
Grocery Stores Map
Banks Map
Gas Stations Map
Restaurants Map (select restaurants, of course...there's too many to list them all)
Guide to the Anatole
Tips for Convention Survival
Packing List
V-Spa Services Menu
*Verandah fitness class schedule (will be updated closer to the convention)
Interactive Anatole Map
*DART schedules (rail and select bus lines that pass through the Market Center Station)
TRE schedule?

I'm currently researching the new parking map, which I will attempt to combine with a DART map. We'll see how that goes. I'm also working on a Cosplayers' Guide to A-Kon.

The local Events calendar will have to wait until March since even publications like Guide and DMN don't have much on their cultural calendars yet. Too early to know who/what is coming to town. Likewise with the A-Kon schedule, which I also link to the Complete Guide.

The food delivery list will not make a return since I cannot find any quantity of reasonably nearby restaurants that offer delivery.
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Zaiten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyddon View Post
The food delivery list will not make a return since I cannot find any quantity of reasonably nearby restaurants that offer delivery.
That part makes me sad. =( Seems to be a trend around Texas.. and I used to love my annual Chinese food binge at cons.

Facebook Page: Zaiten
Fun cosplay updates: tumblr
Serious cosplay updates: deviantART

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Zaiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiten View Post
That part makes me sad. =( Seems to be a trend around Texas.. and I used to love my annual Chinese food binge at cons.
Yeah the location is not very food friendly. I drive by it daily for work. There are a number of hotels and another convention center on the opposite side of the highway. The restaurants that are in the area will require a little bit of driving. Even South of the immediate hotel area it'll mostly be BBQ or Southern comfort food so the variety is limited.

Because of this, the murmurs among the staff is that they are going to have food trucks or other options on site.

On the plus, there is a store called Norcostco that supplies a lot of awesome makeup and face/body paint down the street from the Anatole. So if there's an emergency, you can pick up the good stuff right there!

And Amber can count on me again to help out.
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Thank you TifaIA.

It's not that there aren't ANY delivery places, they're just a decent distance away, and some of them have limited delivery areas that don't include the Anatole. Most of the restaurants nearby are either sit-down or carry-out (aka fast food). The one Asian place I can find is buried in mid-downtown. Food trucks might be your best bet, or take DART into downtown and use my restaurant/delivery map from last year. (Yes, I still have those documents too and will be putting them up for people to download shortly.)

I'm going to check today to see if there's any food places inside the Dallas Market Center. I hope to finish the parking map today between bouts of studying, podcasting, and working as fast as I can on cosplay.

ALSO. If anyone has cosplay tips to be entered into the Cosplayers' Guide to A-Kon, please post them, and I'll include them in the Guide (if they aren't duplicates).
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Zaiten

Always care/bring emergency cosplay supplies. Needle and matching thread, tape, glue of some kind, etc. I'm always guilty of forgetting repair supplies and then something breaks and I go "Crap, why didn't I remember to bring x?"

Also, think about poses while at home. Nothing sucks more then derping out when someone asks for a photo and you can't think of anything other then standing there.

Those are my two big one's I always personally forget. Shame on me.

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

Thank you Zaiten! I'll add these to my Guide.

Parking map is *done, in that I need to take a trip to Market Center and verify whether or not a few of these lots have towing notices posted for after hours. Just because a building is public DOESN'T mean you can safely park there after business hours without being towed, and I'd like to be as sure as I can about some of these places.

The best bet for free parking this year is to park at the Dallas Market Center. I've embedded an official parking map from their website in my overall parking map so that people can see which areas are open/free for parking.

I've also finished the Guide to Public Transportation, including DART schedules/maps/fares and TRE maps/schedules/fares.

Now just need the Events calendar, A-Kon schedule, and Cosplayers' Guide, and I'm done for this year. Also, I will assemble all of these into a bookmarked PDF; I just need to wait until I have access again to Acrobat Pro.

Please keep up the tips for the Cosplayers Guide. If you have anything specifically regarding beginners/first time cosplayers, I'm particularly looking for that.
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
Zaiten

Maybe not a tip, but it always helps to remember: Have fun! So many people forget that with this hobby. Don't worry if something isn't quite right, or you forgot something, or haters start getting on your case. Always remember this is our hobby, we do it for fun, and to never let anyone or anything take that fun away from you. <3

Proud Texas Cosplayer
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

The first post is updated; I have posted many of the documents in The Complete Guide on our podcast homepage. PLEASE read the first post in this thread--I have updated it with important information regarding The Complete Guide.

Also, if you have tips to add to The Parents' Guide or The Cosplayers' Guide after reading them, please feel free--I will update the documents with new information/tips as I receive them.
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

I have added a compiled, bookmarked PDF to the website so that you can get all the documents at once. The link is also on our homepage, along with the rest of the documents (see the first post in this thread or my signature for the URL).

If there are documents you feel I should add to the Guide--any maps, mini-Guides, etc--please let me know.

If you have tips to add to any of the Guides, or places/information that aren't marked on one of the maps, please also let me know as I can update the documents.

I will do the Events Calendar in April, and the A-Kon schedule will be added once it comes out.
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
PepMaster

How about other hotels nearby and prices?
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Celyddon
Co-Host of CosPod

That is a great idea, actually. I'll work on it this weekend if I have time, next weekend if I don't.