Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Question Help on Dying wig (grell sutcliff)

So I'm going as grell to Otakon which isn't for a while (I don't want to freak a the last second) but yeah I was planning on buying a wig for cheap at a beauty supply store nearby maybe blonde then styling and dying it red I need to know how to do it and any tips or help on better places to buy a wig (sadly not made of money) but yeah any help is appreciated on this since I'm inexperienced I've watched tutorials but they are kind of confusing also which brands work best?
PalmTopTaiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Honestly, I'd save up and invest in a high quality wig. It'll be worth it, trust me.

As for which dyeing method to use, it depends on the wig's fiber type (kanakelon, hiperlon, human hair, etc.).

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

also i dont see you being able to dye a blonde wig to that vibrant of a red....
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
novaraven1

it is cheaper to save up and buy a good wig at the start than to spend money on a cheap wig and the dye supplies and the extensions you will need to make it into a good wig.

my grell wig is from epiccosplay because it is the longest style they have in red and I know that if I used accurate length for grell in any other wig it would tangle and eat me and I'd have a horrible cosplay of des, and not in a fabulous grell way. ^^;

Epiccosplay wigs use slippery wig fibers designed not to tangle and they are easy to brush out using a wig brush after you have worn it without ever needing special wig conditioners or products or three hours of your time. The extra money is worth it to me just for saving that time and frustration and to be able to reuse the wig many more times.
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniigiri_Basket View Post
Honestly, I'd save up and invest in a high quality wig. It'll be worth it, trust me.

As for which dyeing method to use, it depends on the wig's fiber type (kanakelon, hiperlon, human hair, etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
also i dont see you being able to dye a blonde wig to that vibrant of a red....
Okay so it's difficult, messy, and hard to figure out. So already made is best? I've seen some long red ones that range from 20-30 dollars but they aren't in the right style and some that are perfect and range from 20-50. I bet the cheap ones aren't the best quality and some trail to the floor which would make it difficult and get tangled. So if it comes to long or not spiky enough how should I style it? and around which range would be the best to spend on it as well as any good sites or stores to buy from?
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
it is cheaper to save up and buy a good wig at the start than to spend money on a cheap wig and the dye supplies and the extensions you will need to make it into a good wig.

my grell wig is from epiccosplay because it is the longest style they have in red and I know that if I used accurate length for grell in any other wig it would tangle and eat me and I'd have a horrible cosplay of des, and not in a fabulous grell way. ^^;

Epiccosplay wigs use slippery wig fibers designed not to tangle and they are easy to brush out using a wig brush after you have worn it without ever needing special wig conditioners or products or three hours of your time. The extra money is worth it to me just for saving that time and frustration and to be able to reuse the wig many more times.
(happy tears) I know what you mean I was wondering if it would tangle to and thanks for the advice on buying an expensive wig then one where you have to spend extra on dying supplies (didn't add that into cost expenses when I thought of it) so my best option is save up and get one with slippery fibers, does epiccosplay still sell this kind? or are there other places to buy some?
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
novaraven1

http://www.epiccosplay.com/50-apple-...splay-wig.html

this is what I have for Grell. I just trimmed the bangs a little and spiked them with extra hold hairspray. There is a slightly shorter 40" long one called Athena that is a more manageable length but it requires more styling work.

If you are not used to long wigs I would not go longer than 40", especially if you are wearing it around all day long at a con and do not have a helper or a way to stop and brush it out.

A good way to wear those 50" knee length styles is to trim two long side pieces a bit shorter, like waist length and keep them at the front smoothed with hairspray,, and tie the rest back in a low ponytail with a ribbon,, and only take it out when you are doing a photoshoot. It lets people know you have the long wig and looks ok from a front view while still keeping it easy to wear.

if you join epiccosplays facebook page they'll let you know when there are sales coming up. sometimes there's free shipping and other promotions. they also often have booths at cons so you can save money picking up your wig that way too.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 02-17-2013 at 08:26 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote