Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 02-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Makeup primers?

Apologies if this has already been posted here before~

I just wanted to know if there are any drugstore primers that you people could recommend or any that I should stay away from? I have oily skin and I do have red spots and acne scars that I'd like for a primer to fix. And I'd prefer drugstore brands. >.<

I do have Loreal's Studio Secrets primer currently and it unfortunately does not do anything for me. It goes on nicely, but even after I let it completely dry up on my skin, as soon as I start putting on my foundation, it starts caking and it takes clumps of my foundation and starts crumbling and being "pushed around" on my skin (if that makes any sense) ): I did try patting on my foundation and brushing it on with a makeup brush, but it still doesn't stay put and in the end, my pores/scars/redness do not get covered at all. It's the same as when I don't put on a primer, maybe even better.

If it makes any difference, I used Revlon's Colorstay foundation with the primer.

So, any recommendations? ^_^ I was looking into trying Revlon's primer. Perhaps it'll work better since the foundation I use is from the same company. Obviously, I'd like something that won't make my makeup melt off and something that can hold the foundation nicely/lessen the appearance of red spots + acne scars.
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
cyanidesun797

In my personal experience, the Revlon Photo Ready primer works really well. I have an oily t-zone and it does a good job in helping my face stay matte. The Hard Candy primer is pretty good too and I think it's a bit cheaper than the Revlon one.
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

My favorite primer is not a drugstore primer (Smashbox's Photo Finish). However, two other primers I've tried and like are available at drugstores, I believe. At least, I know for sure the first one is. They are Revlon's Beyond Natural and Pixi's Flawless & Poreless. Of those two, I'd say the Pixi one is better.
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Akune-chan

The makeup that I started to use (seriously, I just started using this two weeks ago) is a two in one foundation + primer.
Its called Maybelline Instant Age Rewind; The Lifter.
It has the foundation with primer already in it, however I use a moisturizer for oily skin before I put it on. When you press the pump once, you can actually see the clear primer besides the foundation and I usually mix the two before I spread it on my face with my makeup brush and sponge.

I have some large pores around my nose and high cheek area from my acne and it covers them really well without looking caked on! Also, I have seen visible results of my pores shrinking. :] I usually use it every other day but I moisturize my face after every time I wash it with my Witch hazel based soap (it tends to dry up my skin when its in effect).

The moisturizer that I use is Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I have oily skin and if you don't use primer every day like me, the travel size of the smashbox photo finish has literally lasted me years and it's only $15, which if I recall correctly isn't much more expensive than some drugstore brands.

I have heard a lot of good things about using a thin layer of milk of magnesia.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Touya no miko
TnM

I heard that a lot of people like to use Monistat Chaffing gel as a primer. For real, never tried it myself but it has a lot of good feedback. The primer I use has to be shipped from overseas.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
meepstio
jini;♥

bb cream works well as a primer as well... usually found in korean stores or online though.
I noticed drugstores carry bb creams now as well (garnier, revlon, etc)
Upcoming cons: Otakon
Ashe (LOL), Sailor Mercury, Bulma/Chun-li
meepstio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Ahh thank you for all the responses! I actually bought Revlon's photoready primer and it works like a charm!

I've also heard good things about Monistat being used as a primer and Smashbox's primer so I'll give those a try later on
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
dwayna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya no miko View Post
I heard that a lot of people like to use Monistat Chaffing gel as a primer. For real, never tried it myself but it has a lot of good feedback. The primer I use has to be shipped from overseas.
I can confirm that this works. I've only ever used it with my Vriska cosplay though but it does work and works well!
dwayna is offline   Reply With Quote