Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Senevilla

Question BBC Sherlock Coat

I absolutely LOVE BBC's Sherlock coat. I also happen to be in need of a new winter coat, so I though why not make one? I really wanted to make it accurate. I did some research, and I found out that the coat is made of a wool tweed. Unfortunately, I am allergic to wool. Does anyone know a good substitute? I want it to look as similar as possible and still be able to actually wear it! XD Thanks so much!
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
harmonyisarine

Unfortunately, nothing really has the weight or drape of wool except for wool. There are a few other animal hair fabrics out there that are similar in drape and warmth, but they're harder to find in a wide range and you'd have to make sure you're not allergic to them, too. Luckily, there are some really nice blends and synthetics. I'd start doing a crazy internet sweep for coat/jacket-weight and suiting tweeds. Order swatches of any potential candidate and compare to figure out which one you like best. If the fabric is all a natural fiber, you can order it white (or off-white or even a lighter blue in the same tone) and dye it. If it's got polyester in it, it has to be the right color (well, you can dye polyester, but it's harder).

I've found that linen at heavy weights has a similar drape as wool, but it doesn't have the same texture, so maybe a linen/poly blend?
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Penlowe

camel hair has been used for coats for centuries, it's actually quite soft! Also significantly more expensive than most wools.

Surprisingly enough, you can get silk in fairly thick weaves, that drape and flow fantastically (and they are warm!). Again, not cheap.

Alpaca is wonderfully soft, acts like wool in many regards, and sometimes cheaper than fine wools (mostly from central and south America, so poorer economies make it a cheap product). But id you are genuinely allergic to wool then alpaca is likely an irritant as well.

Last, are you actually allergic to wool? or just sensitive and crappy scratchy wool makes you itch? Really fine wools are not itchy, look for Merino or even Angora blends for a soft you want to sleep on.