Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Sporkster
Nomlet

Dress Help Needed

I'm doing a cosplay of Daenerys (Game of Thrones) and I'm a bit stuck on the front of the dress;
http://www.toastersix.com/wp-content...eningarden.jpg

As can be seen in the reference image, the top part is low cut, and requires me to go braless for the outfit. Being an E cup, I'd rather not do this. Is there any way I could. Sew some kind of bra support into the dress, or should I just alter it so that I can wear a strapless bra underneath?

TL;DR: can I sew bra support into this dress?

Thanks.
Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

I would look into those triangle-shaped bra cups meant for sewing. Similar in shape to these (although not meant for post-surgery). They're also similar to triangle bikini bra tops. If you can't find the cups on their own, dissect a cheap bikini top and remove the cup for the dress. Don't know if this gives you ideas, but good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Penlowe

Yeah, that actress has NO boobs. It's a very common flaw in cosplay, IMO, to build an outfit exactly like it is on a drawn, mis-proportioned, unreal character. It can take away from the overall look and feel of a character when real hips, boobs or waistline interfere in such a way as to make an ordinary girl look chunky, or too short, or too tall or whatever. It becomes "OMG why is she trying to play X?" instead of conveying "hey look! Soandso!". Fitting a costume to your body is always a good choice.

You want to convey the character, not have people say "OMG boobies!", a literal translation (having the neckline plunge to the same place on you that it does on her) is likely not the best option here. Sure, it needs a deep V, but it will read the same way while still allowing you the support you need if it doesn't go down as far. it will also defer unwanted attention.

TL: DR
Wear a bra, don't have the neckline plunge that deep.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
detenten

I need to get around to making my tutorial of how I did the gold armor and belt from Qarth. I made it out of painted hotglue. Have you done your belt yet, would that be helpful?
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

when in doubt use a piece of nude fabric to cover that mid section so that you can wear a bra. as a big boobie cosplayer too, ive learned that those triangle bra pieces do not help at all...... by having the nude piece you allow yourself to have comfort and support
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Sporkster
Nomlet

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll probably go for a section of nude fabric, failing that, make it higher cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detenten View Post
I need to get around to making my tutorial of how I did the gold armor and belt from Qarth. I made it out of painted hotglue. Have you done your belt yet, would that be helpful?
Haven't made the belt yet, and I've been looking for a tutorial everywhere. That would be very helpful.
Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
detenten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkster View Post
Haven't made the belt yet, and I've been looking for a tutorial everywhere. That would be very helpful.
Well then I will get off my arse and make it soon then! ^_^
detenten is offline   Reply With Quote