Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Weight Loss Tips?

I'm looking tips and just about anything you can offer. I want to lose about 50 pounds by next year. I weigh around 180, I haven't had time to weigh myself.

Also I need to know some good and easy stretches for legs. I think I pulled something over the last two days and my legs are so stiff I can barely walk ;___;
If there's anything I can do let me know.

Sorry if this sounds stupid or anything, but I planned on working out this weekend but that's a little hard to do with my legs right now ;___;

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Ninbri
omnomnom~♥

Motivation, motivation, motivation.

Fast walk a couple miles everyday, and then gradually lean into running/jogging. This does wonders for your legs/buttox/waist area - and you're not taking it too fast. I've lost a lot of weight just by doing this!

Also, diet wise, water, and watch the carbs.
If you want an intense workout, my brother just graduated from Marine Corps boot camp, and some things they did was Mountain climbers, sit ups at a slope, and run a lot. He gained about 20 pounds in muscle! Although, I think it could work for you in the weight loss department, as well. I plan on joining the military when I turn 18 - so I'm getting ready for it now.

But, you have to motivate yourself. If you walk/run a couple miles for 2 days, and then quit after that, you're not moving along the process. Always remember to do a cool-down exercise and you should be fine. Really, a lot of people tend to overthink weight loss - even the little things help in the long run!

PS: Try hot compresses for your leg.

Next Con: Mechacon
Saturday:
Stewardess Stocking
Sunday:

Facebook: link
DeviantArt: HERE

Last edited by Ninbri : 02-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Ninbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Krazer

Try going to Yogatailor.com it has a free trial with some low intensity yoga.
Krazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
palindromia

Try the keto diet! I was super skeptical at first (I hate any named diet typically, they all sound like trendy fad crap to me) but you feel AMAZING on it after a week or so of adjusting to it and you will for sure lose weight. I lost 8 pounds in about 2 weeks without even doing exercise (though exercise is important, I just hadn't had time). It burns fat for energy instead of carbs so it's scientifically just a fat demolisher. Check out reddit.com/r/keto if you need more help with it!
palindromia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
crimsonrazac

I'm not the biggest fan of the low carb diet, although it does work. My dad lost roughly 70 pounds on it in six months while I lost 40 on what I considered more balanced diet. He started at 300, and I at 180, we have both managed to keep all the fat loss off for over a year now.

During the first week or two of low carbs you'll lost a lot of weight quickly, but very little is fat, its mostly water weight. The initial loss of weight can be regained in a single high carb meal, which can easily ruin some peoples motivation. After sticking to the diet for a couple weeks it you'll start losing fat, more slowly, rather than just water weight. (This explains it pretty well http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php )

Good luck on reaching your goals
crimsonrazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Somsai
Guyver 01

To lose fat the best way is to START eating healthy.
Best way to go about that is choosing better and healthier meals,
and cutting out anything that can jeopardize your diet.
Ex. soda, chips, butter, ice cream, pizze, cheeze, etc.
Go search the net on how to prepare healthy meals and educate yourself
to better understand how to go about losing weight the right way.

Here are a few good tips.
-Drink 12 oz. of water before /after a meal
-Eat fruits instead of juice
-If you have a sweet tooth just eat a fruit
-Sleep early to avoid midnight cravings <---(My worst problem when I first started)
-Drink/Take Green Tea or pills
-Take Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills
-Take Multi-Vitamins
-Be SURE to not starve yourself (Your metabolism will decline very fast)
-ALWAYS eat breakfast to avoid your metabolism from dropping

Well, I can go on and on, but I hope you found these tips useful. Good luck.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
-Be SURE to not starve yourself (Your metabolism will decline very fast)
-ALWAYS eat breakfast to avoid your metabolism from dropping
It actually takes far longer for your metabolism to slow down than people think.
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somsai View Post
-Drink 12 oz. of water before /after a meal
That's a lot of water, I'm lucky if I can drink a 20 oz. bottle of anything in a day o.o

Thanks for the advice though.

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
It actually takes far longer for your metabolism to slow down than people think.
Just because it takes longer doesn't mean it shouldn't be taken in to consideration. Every bit helps. In the lifestyle of health and fitness everything counts. Treat your body right and it will treat you right.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Bombgirl
Bonkyu! Bonkyu!

When it comes to working out, I've found that one of the best motivators is working out with a friend. Especially if you're not comfortable with going to the gym by yourself yet. When I first started going, I was self-conscious about a lot of things, and it was great having someone for support and motivation. ^^ If possible, try to make a set work out schedule every week with a friend, even if its just a day or two. It makes the experience more enjoyable, and having planned workout in your schedule prevents you from forgetting about it. Best of luck!
Bombgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
toughtink

it's hard to give specific tips since our lives are probably already really different, but i've found myself dropping pounds recently with only minor changes to my daily life. the largest change that has happened recently is getting onto a healthier schedule. i used to stay up all night, getting either waaaay too much sleep or waaaay too little every day. along with this, my meals were always totally sporadic. i ended up skipping a lot of meals without meaning to so even though i didn't eat a lot at the time, my body had trouble regulating itself and i was gaining weight. basically, by ensuring that i can get 7 or 8 hours of sleep a night and 3 meals a day at the same times every day, my body's been healthier and happier...and i've been losing weight as an added bonus.

also, i usually find exercise to be too boring to really keep me interested for any amount of time. when i can't get myself to go jogging outside, i'll just put on an episode of my favorite show and run or do jumping jacks in place to get my heart pumping for the whole duration of it. it takes off a lot of the pressure for me that way.

hopefully some of this will help for you!
toughtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Shiizuma
The Pragmatic Realist

Cut down on carbs!!

A big problem for me was not that I couldn't count calories and work out, but I ate way too many carbs and didn't lose as much as I should have.

2013 Conventions
PAX East | AnimeNEXT | Otakon

Past Cosplays
Shizuma Hanazono (Strawberry Panic) | IA (Vocaloid) | Misa Amane

This Year's Cosplays
FEM!Hikaru (OHSHC) [group cosplay] | Hatsune Miku - Love Philosophia (Vocaloid)

Tumblr | MyFitnessPal | DeviantArt
Shiizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Phantomhive1136

Water!!! :D

Water is your friend! I used to drink anything but water, it affected my health in many ways. So I decided to drink strictly water with an occational glass of juice or soda when I'm out with my friends. At first it was hard, but I've gone 2 months so far. That could be the first step. Next I suggest cutting down on sugary snacks, and replaced them with a granola bar, yogurt, or something healthy instead. This also goes for eatting healthier meals. If you live near your work/school/other destination, like I do, you could take a city bus on the main streets then walk the rest of the way. I walk 20 blocks daily to get to and from school. And on the weekend I take walks if the weather permits me. lol. Im no pro at this, but it's just small things that can improve my health and controll my weight. I do it all for cosplay, lol. Hope this helps anyone looking for where to start!
Phantomhive1136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
inu.matto
Imperial Fist's waifu :3

I was pretty much thinking it's impossible for me to lose weight - I blamed everything, from faulty genetics, to bad thyroid, to the overabundance of tempting things in the world.
The thing that helped me, and hopefully will benefit you is calorie tracking! It's an extremely annoying thing to do on paper, though. In the past, I have tried it but dropped after a few days as it was too annoying. Writing, counting... it's depressing! A few weeks ago, I discovered a place where you could have your food intake diary online. Basically, you find out how much you should eat, according to your activity levels, you tell them how much you ate, they tell you all the nutritional values of it! There are most brands and foods listed, so it's pretty easy. I made this calorie tracking thing into a game, and damn, I am in it for a second week and going on. And I can see the benefit already it's still minor, but I can feel it's working.
inu.matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
BlooShine

Your diet is the most important thing to think about. You can keep eating unhealthy things and working out and maybe you'll lose weight, but being skinny doesn't always mean you're healthy and it might make it harder to keep the pounds off.
(That's not meant for anyone to take offense to! )

I lost a lot of weight a little more than a year ago by being active and eating well, and I still do. I work at a daycare where I'm constantly moving with energetic kids and I eat my fruits and veggies everyday, while avoiding junk foods.

I don't advise you go on a strict diet, they're not fun! It might stress you out more if you're constantly worrying about how many calories and cards and grams of sugar and sodium you've had.

The biggest step you can do is start eating more fruits/vegetables and drink more water. If you can't drink your full 8 glasses a day then aim for about 3-4 at first. The more you substitute water for juices and sodas, the less you'll find that you crave them. The same goes for junk foods.
There's a little fitspiration picture I always see floating around on tumblr that gives good advice: Healthy weight loss/lifestyles are 80% kitchen and 20% exercise.

But don't think that means you can't enjoy yourself everyone once in a while! I still eat cookies or pizza or hamburgers every now and then, just not nearly as much as I once did.
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote