Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #766
Keirii21
Only half sane.
 
Keirii21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 246
I'm looking to to make an Annie cosplay from LoL



What kind of fabric should I use for the pink dress part?
__________________
Current Projects:

Naoi Ayato- Angel Beats!
Yuri Lowell- Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
Ezreal (Default skin)- League of Legends


XBL: Fimbulvinter13
Skype: Fimbulvinter13
Keirii21 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #767
peahat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22


Hi guys! I really want to cosplay Togame for FanimeCon this year. I am SORta halfway competent at sewing (I've made a handful of hoodies with zippers, etc) but I am still not confident enough to work with shiny fabrics.

I feel like maybe I can get away with using a notshiny black fabric for the overshirt part, but the collar and the sleeve looks like it needs to be shiny..

QUESTIONS:
1. What fabrics can I use for this cosplay that are not shiny?
2. Are there any shiny fabrics that might be a little easier to learn how to use?
3. Are there any good tutorials for dealing with shiny fabric?
peahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #768
Quackalackin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Umm, hi! I'm pretty new to sewing, but I'm looking for help with materials. I'm going to ask my grandma to help me sew a skirt, but I have no idea what materials to use!

It's for Haruhi Suzumiya:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../d8/Haruhi.png

It needs to be an easily functioned fabric - that was probably the wrong wording LOL - and very simple for a beginner to use. I was also curious if the same fabric could be used on both the sailor collar and the skirt?
Quackalackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #769
RyokoYuuki
Ryoki
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
Exclamation Tidus - Final Fantasy X

Reference Pictures:
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...us_artwork.jpg

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/...FF10-002_2.jpg

I'm wondering what material to use for Tidus's main black overall? Is it leather or something else?
** I would like to be able to get in water but it isnt something that is necessary...

The short-sleeve-hoodie is it basic cotton or knit?

The light blue shorts underneath? I have no guesses...

The red part on the armor piece that is woven? Should i use wire (base) and bias in order for it to bow out?

So many questions... I'm sorry if they aren't clear I'm just kinda feeling overwhelmed at the moment.
Also my local fabric stores suck or have wonky hours... any websites that you could suggest that you have personally ordered from? Especially for faux leathers/Pleather/ PVC/ Vinyl.... not that cruddy home decor stuff ><

I'm trying to make this by March, if unsuccessfully by March no later than May.
__________________
Facebook
RyokoYuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #770
kitee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 36
Hi, I want to cosplay this:
https://yande.re/post/show/185146/ak...ate-seifuku-sh

Normally I would use normal cotton/broadcloth/poplin, but I thought it would look too flat here. Since the uniform design is not that realistic.

I guess twill always works, and I have a lot of white twill I might be able to dye, but I'm not sure if it would be too stiff. I really like the soft look of the CGs.

So cotton sateen has a nice softness, but maybe it is too thin...

I thought knits have a nice look too, but would a double knit be able to hold the pleats well?

I don't know what kind of fabric to use.... ;-;


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackalackin View Post
Umm, hi! I'm pretty new to sewing, but I'm looking for help with materials. I'm going to ask my grandma to help me sew a skirt, but I have no idea what materials to use!

It's for Haruhi Suzumiya:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../d8/Haruhi.png

It needs to be an easily functioned fabric - that was probably the wrong wording LOL - and very simple for a beginner to use. I was also curious if the same fabric could be used on both the sailor collar and the skirt?
You should use the same fabric for both the collar and skirt, otherwise the colour will be hard to match. ^^
kitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #771
Shuda
Registered User
 
Shuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 36
Hello, new guy here (first post actually) ^^.

Reference Picture: http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/17/30/28/64/grimmj10.jpg

Putting price/time aside, what do you think would be the best material for this attire?

Wiki Description: Grimmjow's attire consists of a white hakama, a black sash and a ragged white jacket with an upturned collar. The inner lining of his jacket is black, the sleeves are rolled up.

Ok, so I've seen some people use leather or venyl for the jacket. If I purchase it online it's most likely going to be a cheap and overpriced cloth. It will most definitely be sewed, I jsut need some tips/advice on materials ^^.

Thank you!
Shuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #772
Little Shadow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuda View Post
Hello, new guy here (first post actually) ^^.

Reference Picture: http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/17/30/28/64/grimmj10.jpg

Putting price/time aside, what do you think would be the best material for this attire?

Wiki Description: Grimmjow's attire consists of a white hakama, a black sash and a ragged white jacket with an upturned collar. The inner lining of his jacket is black, the sleeves are rolled up.

Ok, so I've seen some people use leather or venyl for the jacket. If I purchase it online it's most likely going to be a cheap and overpriced cloth. It will most definitely be sewed, I jsut need some tips/advice on materials ^^.

Thank you!
Hah, something I can help with! I've made Bleach soul reaper costumes before, and I pretty much swear by something JoAnn's has that they call "Linen look solids". It is a linen/rayon blend that is extremely comfortable, machine washable, doesn't wrinkle much, and looks pretty good. (Instructions say machine wash cool delicate, tumble dry, cool iron. It does just fine tossed in the normal cycle, tumble dry, and if you don't let it sit in the dryer and hang it up right away, it doesn't even need ironing unless you feel like it.) It has a nice drape and weight, breathes *much* better than pleather, and is thick enough that you maaaay be able to get away with not lining the pants, if you wear skin tone undershorts. (Make sure to have someone take a picture, with flash, to make sure of this though! Flash can do weird things to some white/light fabrics!)

The fabric comes in both black and white, though you should make sure to wash the black especially to make sure the color is set. I've never had trouble, even with the red, navy, or brown colors, but you can never be too careful. The only thing this fabric doesn't do well is take dye, though on the upside, it doesn't stain very easily either. Don't leave unfinished edges, make sure to at least fray stop cut ends, as this is a woven fabric and will ravel if you just cut a tattered edge and leave it. Because this is a softer fabric with a more natural drape than pleather or quilter's cotton, you will probably need to stiffen the waistband to get the edge to stick up properly, and you may want to use shoulder pads to get the higher/sharper shoulders on that coat. You may also need to consider some sort of stiffener or fastener to get the collar to stand up and the sleeves to stay rolled and crisp looking. Another plus? This fabric, when cut nice and full for a long coat or hakama, billows dramatically when you walk quickly. Hope that helped, let me know if you want more info!

Link to fabric on Jo-Ann website: http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-lin...lors/prd46469/
Little Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #773
Sporkster
Nomlet
 
Sporkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 115
Marik Ishtar

References:
http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/image...rmed_marik.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j-5leje8eh...600/321019.jpg
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...12-720-480.jpg

I have the gold chains on it sorted, but I'm not sure what fabric to use for the main body of it. I don't want to use just cotton. :/

Thanks
Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #774
LillyOfTheVally
Seamstress
 
LillyOfTheVally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by peahat View Post


Hi guys! I really want to cosplay Togame for FanimeCon this year. I am SORta halfway competent at sewing (I've made a handful of hoodies with zippers, etc) but I am still not confident enough to work with shiny fabrics.

I feel like maybe I can get away with using a notshiny black fabric for the overshirt part, but the collar and the sleeve looks like it needs to be shiny..

QUESTIONS:
1. What fabrics can I use for this cosplay that are not shiny?
2. Are there any shiny fabrics that might be a little easier to learn how to use?
3. Are there any good tutorials for dealing with shiny fabric?
Hey there!
Special occasion fabrics ("shiny") come with their own set of rules, sewing needles and so on. So first off I suggest you stick to cotton, it will make your life much easier! And you are in luck, there are two cotton fabrics that are indeed shiny, but easy to sew.
Cotton Sateen, which you can get at Joann in a stretch bottom weight or light weight.
Cotton/Silk blend (45/55 is best) but finding it can be difficult. The place I've found it is spoonflower.com

If you really really really want the shiny, bridal satin is not terribly temperamental. Just take your time, use lots of pins (Satins tend to be slippery) and use a sharp needle.
Even though it is budget friendly, do not let the costume satin lure you in. It is evil.

Hope this helps. If anything is unclear or you have more questions let me know.
LillyOfTheVally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #775
SparkyCat13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Hey! I'm planning on cosplaying Jellal from Fairy Tail this year at A-Kon, and I was hoping I could get some advice on what fabric to use for his undershirt. Here are some pictures:

http://images.wikia.com/fairytail/im...acion_Seis.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/ft14x.jpg/sr=1

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to different types of fabrics, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It looks tight-fitting, but I guess stretchy enough so I'm able to get it on and off without any problems. XD;

Thanks in advance!
__________________
~*~A-Kon 2013 Cosplay~*~
Kana-chan (Chihayafuru)
SparkyCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #776
Ishihara_Seth
一匹狼
 
Ishihara_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCat13 View Post
Hey! I'm planning on cosplaying Jellal from Fairy Tail this year at A-Kon, and I was hoping I could get some advice on what fabric to use for his undershirt. Here are some pictures:

http://images.wikia.com/fairytail/im...acion_Seis.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/ft14x.jpg/sr=1

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to different types of fabrics, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It looks tight-fitting, but I guess stretchy enough so I'm able to get it on and off without any problems. XD;

Thanks in advance!
There are some wonderful spandex blends at Hancock that I bet would work nicely
Ishihara_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #777
SparkyCat13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishihara_Seth View Post
There are some wonderful spandex blends at Hancock that I bet would work nicely
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, there aren't any Hancocks around here, but there is a pretty big Joann's that had some spandex blends. Now my problem is just finding a pattern. I looked through six or so pattern books at the store and couldn't find a single turtleneck....Do people just not make turtlenecks???
__________________
~*~A-Kon 2013 Cosplay~*~
Kana-chan (Chihayafuru)
SparkyCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #778
Samaru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 41
Poofy Dress Fabric

I am working on making the dress from Dalian no Shoka seen here.
Since this is my first project using nicer fabric, I was hoping for a sanity check before I spend way too much money on fabric

The current plan is to base the dress on a hoop crenoline to give the layers support.
On top of that I plan on constructing a plain petticoat out of kona cotton to help hide the hoops and serve as a base for the other layers.
The next layer will be a cotton lawn with a kona lining to form the ruffled white layer. This is the layer I am most concerned about.
I had planned on using just the lawn but once I saw samples I'm afraid that it won't have enough weight to hold the ruffles up under the heavy top layer.
I'm hoping that the kona lining will accomplish this while still having the nicer look of the lawn.

The top layer skirt and overcoat is going to be black velvet with a lightweight cotton lining. I plan on using a light cotton or silk for the ruffle trims on the overcoat.

Thanks for any advice!
Samaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #779
Senevilla
Registered User
 
Senevilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 77
I want to make a BBC Sherlock coat, but I'm allergic to wool. What sort of synthetic fabrics should I use to get the same sort of feel, without the blistery skin?

For reference:

Here
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #780
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,713
Keirii21: your picture is so large that the ads cover the character you are referencing :/

Quackalackin: If your grandma knows how to sew, she will be able to find the right fabric for that uniform type outfit. It's a good starting point, take full advantage of a teacher!

kitee: yes, cotton sateen would look quite nice. You can always line or innerface it if it's not substantial enough.

Sporkster: linen or something that looks like linen would be quite nice.

SparkyCat13: look to Kwik Sew patterns, they have a lot of 'athletic' type patterns that work great for lots of cosplays.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.