Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 902 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #12361
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Furie- What aimee said! Also, MAKE SURE YOU PIN YOUR FABRIC. I don't know if you already do or don't, but YOU HAVE TO PIN. I get so aggravated when people don't pin their pieces together then get upset when things don't line up properly. >.< Also, make sure you're easing between notches around the bust area if the pattern tells you to. Sometimes people just pin straight down from top to bottom without easing at the bust which 1) will cause the hem to be unaligned and 2) won't leave room for your boobies! :P But yes, definitely keep trying! It takes time. I have been sewing for a few years now and I'm still not that great at it. Also, investing in a few good sewing how-to books has really been helpful for me!

LKD- I LOVE the Tink poofs! They look like Truffula Trees from The Lorax! They look rather plant-like, which is perfect for Tink! I hope you find the other one you need before your party.

kojirojames- I really like the costume, but it really feels like they didn't try at all with her face- she looks so much like Rapunzel! I mean, blonde hair and green eyes? Maybe once we see actual footage she won't favor Rapunzel as much. *shrugs* I'm still excited about it!

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #12362
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Furie-- don't worry, you can do it! Mistakes also seem worse to the cosplayer. I can pick out half a dozen things I don't like about anything I've made, whereas my friends (who are up close and seeing said cosplays all day) still won't notice.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 5% (Planning) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #12363
Seifer-sama

@ Suzie: Congrats!!!! I got a Janome last year for Christmas and I love it!! It's a much better machine than what I was working with and it makes my cosplay projects less stressful. I sure hope your new machine works just as well for you!

@ Furie: Lining can be such a pain in the butt sometimes, but hang in there, you can do it!!! Like everyone else has said, sometimes you learn more from the struggles and mistakes than from success.

@ LKD: Awesome wig! I love the fullness and the color. And your Tink shoes are so adorable!!!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%
Charlotte Elbourne - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 20%
Meier Link - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 10%
A-ko - Project A-ko - 80%
Minwu - Final Fantasy II - 20%

Planned Projects:
Mia Fey - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Sorceress Edea - Final Fantasy VIII
Beatrix - Final Fantasy IX
Sailor Moon / Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon (Someday!!)
Seifer-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #12364
FuriePhoenix
Princess for Hire

Aimee- I have been sewing my costumes for years, but my Tink dress was started by my friend at her place, we think its coz she did the lining first and put in the darts etc in the lining before doing the main dress and the fact the lining has no stretch but the velvet does it's causing problems.

Suzie- oh believe me I pin all the time, then re pin etc. But yeah... everything was done on a mannequin to measurements so there's room for my bust XD! Stupid thing is, the lining fits me perfectly, but it wont line up to the velvet which is done to the same measurements. Go figure... I think over the last few months I've been so anxious about making costumes from one thing or another, that I havent bothered, so now i'm doing tink, im like "I cant do this.. why am i bothering at all?" tbh, im so close to just quitting cosplay all together.
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #12365
Faraday
oh modern man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Blue View Post
Faraday- I LOVE the Sugar Rush accessories! Also, good luck in the Iron Wig competition- I hope you go far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
Faraday- Your eyelash glue method is genius! XD I can't wait to see! Also I loved your iron wig entry! Can't wait to see more x3
lol, aw, thanks guys for the support, I really appreciate it! ;;
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #12366
LKD
Is a princess!!

Furie- I left my response on FB~

Thanks guys :3

Not much progress..have half my dress patterned?
But
I'm SO excited. One of the girls I work with for party gigs is hiring me to make her an entire princess WARDROBE WHOO. We're making Cinderella first~ so excited! We're meeting this week to start designing it IM SO HAPPY. I don't care about the moolah, I'm just happy I get the chance to make ALL THE PRINCESSES. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #12367
Seifer-sama

@ LKD: That's awesome news! And it sounds like it would be a blast to make all those costumes too!!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #12368
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Furie - That fabric is awesome for Tink! And the makeup looks cute! And the fabrics for the Ariel dress will look great I'm sure! Sometimes you find that fabrics you never think you'd touch in a million years end up being PERFECT for something you're planning. Every fabric has a place eventually (unless it's a really hideous print LOL) But I'm excited to see the dress!

LKD - LOVE your Tink Dress!!! And I would buy stuff from you but everything is too small for me xD I hope you find people to buy them! Have you tried posting on the Cosplay Flea Market on facebook? And a whole princess WARDROBE!? That's amazing!

Stars ~ Looking great~!!

Alice - Everyone has to start somehwere You just have to work hard and take risks and you'll grow as a cosplayer I didn't start off sewing ballgowns xD

Angelic - Oh my goodness that is the prettiest design I've ever seen of Snow next to the Designer one! I can't wait to see it! Your Ariel too!

Aimee - You are a saint for posting those on spoonflower! Thanks! And your Broadway Belle is gorgeous!! I'm acutally working on my KTG dress now and I had the same issue with wigs. I ended up going with a darker red from CosplayDNA (my fave ebay wig seller) I wish I had bought a 2nd to make it fuller but couldn't afford it. I'll be posting pics here in a minute haha

Fénicia - Only issue is Fimo gets heavy when you use a lot of it. So that might not be a very good option for her.

Suzie - Grats on the new machine! Saw it when you posted on FB. And I have to ask...Catching Fire like.....Hunger Games? My interest is piqued. xD

Omgg I haven't been on here in FOREVER SO much to catch up on! Great progress everyone! And I finally have a little myself! I settled on doing Kiss The Girl Ariel and I had started it a few months ago. I finished the skirt the other day and just started the shirt. The skirt color is a bit off from the movie because I had a ton of this blue laying around. I'm kind of short on money right now so I gotta use what I have but I'm actually really loving it. The shirt is short because the part around the abdomen is going to be a rib knit (a trick that my friend Nessa told me about that make the shirt more comfortable and makes it bunch less) I haven't styled the wig yet which I might do today. And I have yet to start on the corset, but I have all the materials. The more I work on this the more excited I get to wear it!!

Still trying to decide if I want to get rid of the curls or not in the wig. Suggestions?

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart

Last edited by LadySasha : 02-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #12369
Seifer-sama

@ LadySasha: Love the progress so far!! As for the wig, personally I kind of like the curls, but if you think they are a bit too curly, you can always brush them a bit and flatten them out to a wave. Either way it will be pretty I am sure.

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #12370
aimee
it's a sparkly!

LadySasha would you mind linking to the wig you ended up going with? It's nice to see different photos of colors!

Thanks for the compliment and your welcome about the spoonflower fabrics!

regarding whether the wig should be straighter or not. it's kinda up to you! I didn't want to go with an out of the box straight wig even though ariel's hair is pretty much straight... because she has so much body in her hair. Maybe if you wanted it a bit straighter, you could just gently brush out the curls a little bit? maybe with your fingers? but it's up to you. sometimes it's fun to go with a curlier wig than the character actually has.
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #12371
LadySasha
formally RuhiNunchuck

Aimee - http://www.ebay.com/itm/160946773021?redirect=mobile hopefully that link works I like their wigs a lot. My black canary wig is the exact same style only blonde .

I think I might try to pull the curl out some before I style it. Thanks for the feedback guys!

~Upcoming Cons & Costumes~
Holiday Matsuri 2013 - Anna (Frozen), Peppermint Parlor Bunny
EvilCon 2014 - TBD
Megacon - Sakizou Celes, Red Bimbette Caludia (Beauty and the Beast)
Bellecon 2014 - Scanty (SaSwGB)

Facebook * Deviantart
LadySasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #12372
aimee
it's a sparkly!

thanks sasha!
aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #12373
loli-lori1969

I'm totally in love with Disney and yes I cos play at disneyland!
anyone want to meet up and have fun???
lollori1969
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #12374
nessabutterfly

I haven't been around here in AGES!!

I have no progress of any kind. BUT, I bought a house and we're moving this week and I get a sewing room again. I probably won't go back to a lot of cosplay, but I am starting my business again, and will certainly be doing Disney inspired things (like my hoodies) again. So, yay?

Anyway, I have a question for you Nightmare Before Christmas fans. I have a friend who is maid of honour in her friend's Tim Burton themed wedding. The bride is dressing as the corpse bride and everyone is required to go in character. My friend is at a total loss for what to wear. I can help her a little, but whatever costume she wears needs to be reasonably simple. She's very petite-- only 5'2" with a pretty average build. Any suggestions? This isn't my area of interest, but I know there's a lot of love for those.movies around here.
nessabutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #12375
Seifer-sama

nessabutterfly: Welcome back! I am glad to hear things are looking up for you! I sure wish I had a sewing room! As for your friend and the Tim Burton themed wedding, what a cute idea!! My first thought was that your friend should do Lydia from Beetlejuice:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/phot...90-500-364.jpg

Especially since she's so petite. But she's not from the Nightmare Before Christmas. If she has to be a Nightmare Before Christmas character, your two real choices would either be

Sally: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files...Jack_Sally.jpg

or Shock: http://images1.fanpop.com/images/ima...06_608_480.jpg

Sally always looked like it could be really difficult... but Shock looks fairly easy, and I bet there are a few ways you could make the costume really cute! If she doesn't have to be from Nightmare Before Christmas, doing Victoria from the Corpse Bride might also work too.

Victoria: http://www.akibanohoshi.com/media/ca...a_figure01.jpg

But then again, that one might be pretty complicated... Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps!!

Current Projects:
Rapunzel - Tangled - 45%
Flynn - Tangled - 10%

Planned Projects:
Rosa - Final Fantasy IV

Last edited by Seifer-sama : 02-22-2013 at 01:44 PM.