Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #46
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

While I try never to start a cosplay until I'm absolutely sure I LOVE the character, I never know that much of a series when I want to cosplay something from it. [K] is a good example; I saw a cosplay of the characters and that's what got me interested in the first place, and made me watch it. That's how 80% of the anime I watch is discovered by me, but I do make sure to do a lot of research before I actually cosplay anything.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #47
Kumoshi
Just a cowardly montblanc

Personally it wouldn't bother me. I myself probably wouldn't cosplay a character from a series that I'm not at least fairly familiar with and like pretty well, but that's more because I don't want to end up in a conversation with a big fan of the series and not know what they're talking about. But I'd be fine with people cosplaying something they're not really a fan of as long as long as they still respect the series.

AX 2014:
- Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-it Ralph)
- Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)
- Isana Yashiro (K Project)
Kumoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #48
Ai no Miko
Shounen ai no kyoshinsha

Wow, am I ever late in replying to all of this. Let me try and correct myself a little here. When I asked for help in putting together a Sebastian cosplay I loved him to bits and pieces, and I had legitimately seen all of the Black Butler anime and read most of the manga (although I hadn't found much of the online stuff). I think what's getting me is the emotional connection to this costume - I SHOULD be excited that I can finally wear it, but instead I'm just deflated and I just can't figure that out. It ties into a really let down feeling I get from my friend who helped me with it (I won't get long winded about it, but that's where the whole personal emotional pain putting this together comes in). There's also just the fact of the matter that as the series continues on I am kindling love for other characters, aside from being on the vicious and violent side, Undertaker matches my personality better than any other character I've chosen to cosplay before, and so I'd really like to have an "easy" time of things as it were in regards to the people who think the "PLAY" aspect of cosplay is super important. Most of the time the characters I choose are not only opposite to me in gender, but opposite to me in personality as well... I'm getting tired of it.
Sebastian is legitimately still one of my favourite characters in the Black Butler series though, don't get me wrong... I've just gotta get myself geared up for Sakura Con and tell remind myself that when I'm around the rest of my fandom I'll forget this drama-lama s*** and have a good time.
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
Poody
All Rise!

I was wondering this too. Well, I'm finishing up a Link cosplay. I'm actually not a huge Zelda fan and people have been giving me crap for it LOL! I played the original NES and SNES games. Well, and Smash Bros. :-P Plus I'm one of the few people who loved the 80s cartoon..... But, one of the reasons I starting working on this character is people a lot of people told me that I should do it! I need to work on my poses for sure, but I think it'll be fun!

..............-NYAH!
My Facebook, yo!
Poody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #50
Kiro

I don't mind others doing this, but I personally dislike doing this because it makes me feel like crap once convention season comes around. Can't talk to or relate to any of the people that come up to talk to you and photoshoots are really limited to just taking photos. It makes me feel like I don't belong.

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
Katsucon?
Otakon
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #51
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

While I have always been into cosplaying as Link from the Zelda Series and had fun dressed up at conventions, I was not satisfied with its amateurish look in the end. (I don't want to post photos of it because I am in the process of making something much more significant.) I also realized that if I enjoy this so much then I want to make it personally and started now so I have something of high quality by July when my conventions are.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #52
Khorrupt

Usually for me, I pick up characters I want to cosplay via watching the show/reading the book/etc., but I really don't see an issue with it.

A lot of people in my cosplay group do this to sort of "fill in" our lineups when they don't have a costume for x days. I'm really glad as well, because if they didn't, our lineups would be really gappy. We'd have no Shampoo or Akane Tendo for our Ranma 1/2 group, and we'd have no Kid Flash or Superboy for our Young Justice group.
Khorrupt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #53
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorrupt View Post
Usually for me, I pick up characters I want to cosplay via watching the show/reading the book/etc., but I really don't see an issue with it.
That is how I got into dressing up as Link from the Zelda series. I just started playing Ocarina of Time for the very first time and got such a kick out of Link looking like me so much that I decided to cosplay as him and have done it ever since.
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #54
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I would cosplay something I'm not super into if other people are cosplaying from the same series and can convince me In return they have to cosplay something I want!
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
Kazuto Kirigaya
Hero Of Time

My only problem with it is that it's a little disappointing to try and converse with someone about said anime/game but you find out they know nothing about it and then things get awkward. I personally despise Homestuck, but that's just my opinion.

- Aladdin - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 20%
- Asuna Yuuki - Sword Art Online - 70%
- Kagami Taiga - 99%
- Rin Okumura - Blue Exorcist - 100%
- Judal - Magi The Labyrinth of Magic - 100%
- Makoto - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - 10%
- Eren Jaeger - Attack on Titan 100%

Cons:
AM2
Anime Expo 2014
Wondercon
Anime LA