Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
cheerlubber

Painting a bodysuit? (Cheetara)

I'm wanting to cosplay Cheetara from the new Thundercats in a few months. I was planning on using a bodysuit for her skin for modesty and convenience's sake. I have some questions on how to go about doing it, though.

Can I buy a yellow bodysuit and paint the stomach area the cream color? Would I need multiple coats for that, or would it not work? Or do you think it would be better to buy a cream colored bodysuit and paint everything else yellow?

Also, what could of painting method would you suggest for this? Can I just paint on fabric paint with a brush, or should I airbrush it? Is there a specific brand of paint you'd recommend? Where can I find a cheap airbrush to do this with? I don't foresee myself doing many cosplays requiring me to paint large areas of fabric so I'm not sure a pricier airbrush would be worth it--unless you think it comes in handy for any size or shape of fabric painting? I just don't know, and I need you painting experts to help me! Thanks so very much!
cheerlubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
cheerlubber

Any suggestions? c:
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Penlowe

Yes, you can paint a body suit. I would choose a lighter color and paint on the darker bits, it's just easier logistically. You will need the suit stretched when you do so, therefore your options are:
1) get a friend to wear it while you paint
2) find a friend who paints well & you wear it while they paint
3) make a duct tape dress form (which also requires a buddy, but less talent) and paint it yourself on the form.
Good luck!
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
cheerlubber

Yeah, I know you can paint one, I was just mostly wondering how well cream would show up painted on a yellow bodysuit. Thanks for the tips!

I'm planning to get one of these bodysuits (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/100nyllonsle.html) but the neckline might come up a bit too high for my liking. I don't want it to plunge as much as Cheetara's, but I'm wondering if it's a good or bad idea to cut some of it away to change it? I'll need to paint my neck and chest with body paint so I could maybe paint the top of the bodysuit with the same cream color instead of changing the neckline, but do you think the seam would show? What would you recommend?

Sorry for so many questions! I don't want to do too much trial-and-error and waste money. ><;
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

From the artwork, it looks like you can just build/pattern her top so it covers the unitard seam. However, you can ask a seamstress to modify the neckline for you, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Don't know if this helps or not, good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote