Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #46
interstellarowl

Despite the BBYO fiasco and the Steve Blum line fiasco, I will be going next year, I was completely happy. AnimeNEXT is my next con since I couldn't find anyone to go to Zenkaikon with me.
interstellarowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #47
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlswithcomics View Post
I have seen cosplayers at CBM, and I've heard they have a cosplay contest. It's not on the level of an anime con or even NYCC but they are there. Would I cosplay here? No.
Cool, cool, cool. I'll keep an eye on it then, because if the guest list is cool, I'll swing by.

Also since you're from the Maryland area, any idea how the DC Awesome Con is? Some of my comics-cosplay bros invited me to go down there, but I am torn if. DISCUSS!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
girlswithcomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Cool, cool, cool. I'll keep an eye on it then, because if the guest list is cool, I'll swing by.

Also since you're from the Maryland area, any idea how the DC Awesome Con is? Some of my comics-cosplay bros invited me to go down there, but I am torn if. DISCUSS!
I've actually never heard of it! If you go and it's awesome, let me know. I'm always down for a new con!
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #49
Fudoo
Often lost

To be honest. I think I'm not gonna be getting a badge next year I spent most of my time socializing and if I really needed a badge I could just borrow one. As far as hotels go I just sleep in the car. I might spend one night in a hotel to get a shower.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
Marika

Quote:
At this point, we're paying for the Venue and the WCS, both who are probably charging the con an insane amount of money to host it. The cost is being passed down to us, which is insane.
WCS, to my knowledge, is not returning due to their demands for hosting. To have them is to pay for their travel expenses, their hotel, and to generally act as though they are along the same lines as a voice actor/industry guest/band member... thus a little steep in cost.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #51
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
I've actually never heard of it! If you go and it's awesome, let me know. I'm always down for a new con!
http://awesomecondc.com/

I think about a half dozen or so of us are going. Should be fun methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika View Post
WCS, to my knowledge, is not returning due to their demands for hosting. To have them is to pay for their travel expenses, their hotel, and to generally act as though they are along the same lines as a voice actor/industry guest/band member... thus a little steep in cost.
I honestly don't understand why ANY con would host the WCS these days, given the cost and bullshit they put you through. It's easier to make a trip to Japan for 2 a top masquerade prize than it is to put up with the WCS' crazy ass demeands.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Aurora Maryte
The Voice of an Angel

I agree, the WCS has become crazy with their demands. I had friends competing, so I did care, but I'm glad Katsu won't be hosting it again since those people have issues(not the contestants, but the ones running it, with their entitlement and demands).

As for Katsu, I'll definitely go back. The two convention situation wasn't their fault, and even had it been that convention won't be back next year.
I might just borrow a badge though because I paid $70 and then used the badge like 3 times during the entire weekend.

And my next convention will be AnimeNEXT.

Conventions 2014~
-Katsucon- -Castle Point- -AnimeNEXT- -Philly Comic Con- -NYCC-
2014 Cosplays~ Celes Chere-opera gown(FF: VI); Dr. Princess(Adventure Time); Eowyn- green dress(LOTR); Lux(League of Legends); Magik(X-men); Anna(Frozen); Apple Pie(Sakizou); Stella(FF: XV)

Aurora Maryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #53
girlswithcomics

Quote:
http://awesomecondc.com/

I think about a half dozen or so of us are going. Should be fun methinks.

I honestly don't understand why ANY con would host the WCS these days, given the cost and bullshit they put you through. It's easier to make a trip to Japan for 2 a top masquerade prize than it is to put up with the WCS' crazy ass demeands.

Oh my God, I was at that con last year. I just never knew the name! I went on someone else's dealer badge. Hah! Well I'll be there this year. Lol
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #54
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Maryte View Post
I agree, the WCS has become crazy with their demands. I had friends competing, so I did care, but I'm glad Katsu won't be hosting it again since those people have issues(not the contestants, but the ones running it, with their entitlement and demands).

As for Katsu, I'll definitely go back. The two convention situation wasn't their fault, and even had it been that convention won't be back next year.
I might just borrow a badge though because I paid $70 and then used the badge like 3 times during the entire weekend.

And my next convention will be AnimeNEXT.
I've "judged" the WCS for a few years while it was it was at NYAF and yeah, without throwing a bunch of people I know under the bus, I can say it's a mess. I heard stories that the Katsucon judges had an easier time the last 2 years, but eff that competition. There's a reason why it's banned from the BIG anime cons in the US.

And $70 for a Katsucon badge? Yo, that's ballsy.

Quote:
Oh my God, I was at that con last year. I just never knew the name! I went on someone else's dealer badge. Hah! Well I'll be there this year. Lol
Haha cool! I think the plan is to check out the con for Saturday dressed as Avengers (like you do) and check it out. It sounds neat, and a nice way to kill a few hours.

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #55
girlswithcomics

Quote:

Haha cool! I think the plan is to check out the con for Saturday dressed as Avengers (like you do) and check it out. It sounds neat, and a nice way to kill a few hours.
Hopefully I'll see you there! I'm debating on cosplaying for it since I may be working at someones table. But then again everyone knows I like to dress up...
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #56
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

I LOVE Katsucon and despite the problems with the BBYO this year, I will be returning! My next con is Anime Boston.

AUSA 2014
Anri (Durarara)
Inukashi (No.6)
Jigglypuff Gijinka
Kairi (KH 1)
Lisanna (Fairy Tail)

Katsucon 2015
Hakuei (Magi)
The Dream (Cardcaptors)
Shizuo (Durarara)
France (Hetalia)
Mr. K (Gravitation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #57
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Hopefully I'll see you there! I'm debating on cosplaying for it since I may be working at someones table. But then again everyone knows I like to dress up...
Indeed. If anything I'll start a thread up once we get closer to ze con.

EDIT: One already exists, I just bumped it.

Unread 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #58
maybemelancholy
{risa}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoo View Post
To be honest. I think I'm not gonna be getting a badge next year I spent most of my time socializing and if I really needed a badge I could just borrow one. As far as hotels go I just sleep in the car. I might spend one night in a hotel to get a shower.
LOL poor man's method!
that honestly could work :P the only reason you would need a badge is to go into the dealers room, artist alley and the rave i guess, but as noted, you could very easily split the costs or borrow one with a friend xD
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
Scorpion89
The Master

Quote:
I've "judged" the WCS for a few years while it was it was at NYAF and yeah, without throwing a bunch of people I know under the bus, I can say it's a mess. I heard stories that the Katsucon judges had an easier time the last 2 years, but eff that competition. There's a reason why it's banned from the BIG anime cons in the US.

Really that isn't the reason as some one who has been staff at SDCC/Dragon*Con/AX the main reason they don't come to them is because it a space issue nothing more or less. I know three years ago SDCC was trying to work a way to have WCS be held but couldn't because of space issues. My understanding is AX is looking into trying to get the WCS.

If you were a judge at WCS then you understand what goes on.

I know that there is some discussion to hold the WCS finals someplace in the United States in a few years.
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #60
Fudoo
Often lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemelancholy View Post
LOL poor man's method!
that honestly could work :P the only reason you would need a badge is to go into the dealers room, artist alley and the rave i guess, but as noted, you could very easily split the costs or borrow one with a friend xD
When I'm spending 100's of dollars on cosplays it's definitely the most effective XD.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote