Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
199ichigo991
Weird is my normal ;D

Question Holo Cosplay Input?

Hey guys I'm starting to design a Holo cosplay I want to do, but I want to be a bit unique and create a new outfit for her! I found a profile picture of her and I kind of want to base the outfit off of the little bit in the picture that you can see. Would that be bad? Do you think people would still reconize me?
199ichigo991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

When it comes to making a costume, you can do whatever you want. Nothing is inherently "bad" about choosing to do an original twist on something. HOWEVER, you also need to ask yourself why you cosplay and what reaction you want.

If you like designing costumes and clothing, and you want to do this for the fun and experience of making an original costume that's inspired by some specific character, go for it.

On the other hand, if you cosplay for attention and to attract fans of this series/character, and your biggest kick is people recognizing your character and telling you they love you and asking for your photo, you are going to be disappointed.

When you veer away from established character designs and make up your own, the reality is that a lot of people just won't recognize who you're supposed to be. You'll really have to get the point across that you're intending to be a specific character. Some people may figure it out, and they may really like your unique approach. But other people won't get it or won't care - and when fewer people can figure out who you're supposed to be, you won't get nearly as many fan-hug interactions or photo requests. (Unless your original costume is so crazy detailed and amazingly well-made that the character doesn't matter anymore, simply because the costume itself would be eye candy at that point.)

(I personally have absolutely no idea who this character is or what she's from, so I really don't know how well-known or obscure she may be in the first place.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.

Last edited by Evil Bishounen : 02-21-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote