Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

It was a grocery store, I was running in to grab something before a bake sale. I got a few comments, mostly asking me if I was in play. (I'm assuming you mean a non convention public setting)
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Kuroda Asuka
Asuka-chan

"Mommy look! That girl's dress is really fat!" When I was heading to the washroom at White Spot. Had to use the big stalls cause my petticoat was really big xD
Kuroda Asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
TwistedFayt

Everyone at my school thought that I was in a made outfit for Halloween unfortunately. D:
TwistedFayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Benihime Denote

I first felt weird wearing it at school and in public my first day, but my fears turned to joy because many people had actually liked my dress. Many people had asked me where I had got mine and asked about lolita fashion. I explained to them the many aspects to lolita and a mother was starting to consider getting her daughter to wear it since I explained that lolita can be modest and that it had nothing to do with a book of the same name. I had also gotten compliment that I looked like a doll (my eyes can give that doll look) and I believe that at the end of the day, I must've told over a hundred people about lolita. Overall, it was enjoyable to wear lolita in public and I can't wait to do it again!

Last edited by Benihime Denote : 12-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Benihime Denote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
chickenlady4321

First time I wore lolita in public some people looked at me weird and then others wanted pictures lol
Saya-Blood+
Chii-Choibits
Haruko-FLCL
chickenlady4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
sadistic_sock

The first time i wore lolita, most people were glaring at me at my college. I felt shy but prouder as time flew by. At least, I had good comments about my dress.
sadistic_sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #22
Ilafatyu
That guy

I haven't worn lolita or ever plan on it, but I have this to say to everyone who feels uncomfortable when being stared at.

When I see someone dressed interestingly, in a way that I really like, I stare. I stare hard, whether I want to or not, completely unconscious that the person I'm staring at is uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't be surprised if others are the same as me, and are just curious about what you're wearing. Getting all dressed up isn't so fun if people don't notice your outfit, right? So why dodge glances and feel bad for it? You can shrug off a glare no problem, just keep your head up and have fun.

But that's just a lurker's opinion.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
Michi_Lolita
Future Crossplayer

My first experiance was while I went to visit my sister in NYC. She lives in an apartment in Brooklyn. I didn't even get down the front steps before somebody complimented me. I went to the pier (the queer pier as it's called) and I gave out flyers for a talent show for queer PoC. They all loved my dress and it made me feel so good about myself. I felt really confident and I even did a Jpop dance in the talent show. People said I looked like a princess.
After that I had the confidence to wear lolita to school and the mall in Kansas where I live. I get lots of weird stares and rarely get any kind words but I don't really care. I just smile when I see snide looks because I know that they are being shallow and I know I look damn good.
Kirino Kousaka - Oreimo
Michi_Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #24
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I have yet to have the guts to go out the door as a Lolita. I mean I grew up the first 12 years pretty much as one but I am kinda scared at my age that dressing like this in public, not to mention being transgender, would look awfully bad but I just cant help dressing like this!!

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
spectrumstorm

Whenever you wear lolita--expect stares. Lots of stares. But not in a bad way, at all! People just get intrigued and what not. When I wore lolita in public for the first time...I got so many compliments. It's important to be confident when you wear lolita out in public. But hey--if wearing lolita is something you love (like I do), wearing lolita is like second nature.
spectrumstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Bobbi
I poke spoons with baders

My first time wearing Lolita in public was at an outdoor meetup at an arts festival. It wasn't too out of the ordinary to see things like crazy fashions and what not. There was a big group of us so I felt comfortable. I got some stares, but otherwise everyone had really positive reactions.

I've not yet encountered any downright negative reactions in Lolita yet, as I don't wear it in public very much, and if I do, I try to tone it down and mature it up as much as possible so I don't look too horribly out of place.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Nein I have never dressed in lolita which is a downright shame since I find it awesome and in fact met a friend that way who adores dressing in elaborate lolita fashion if she sits still you could just swear she was a doll off of rozen maiden but maybe in the near future I shall display the talents of my friends sewing by scaring people at the mall (hide between stuffed animals maybe and pretend to be one oh wait I would have to dress as a Gijinka to truly fool someone)
PalmTopTaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
CherriPetalz
waht is this

I haven't worn lolita out in public yet, but I am going to this week at the cherry blossom festival in DC! I went to DC once in a fairy-kei outfit and with a blue/pink wig on and many people stared. But there was this one couple that came up to me and was like "You look like you came out of a dream". which tottaly made my day. Someone thought I was Miku though... People try and take sneaky pictures of you but just smile and stare them in the face.

UPDATE: I went to DC on Sunday and it was so fun being in lolita. I got a few "what the hells!?" and a few "look its katy perry/nicki minaj!" but a lot of people were really nice about and asked for pictures. The little kids are the best part though, they really think you're a princess or something and making them smile is great! Everyone thought I was the Cherry Blossom Princess which was really funny ahahaaa

Last edited by CherriPetalz : 04-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #29
Kagz
ADD Allstar

I forget where I actually was for my first public attempt but something funny to share is because I live in Oklahoma lolitas often get mistaken for square dancers. *shrug* It's a thing. One way to combat having to do the long explanation is the local okc group just decided to say we were in a band called Suicidal Butter. That usually sates most interests that aren't to wear the fashion. I don't mind explaining to people usually but when I am stopped in the bathroom or trying to eat I usually just throw this out to people asking what I am doing. It's pretty effective.

Cons 2013
Allcon
Akon
Tokyo in Tulsa
PAX
Glitchcon
Izumicon
Ikkicon

Costumes in the works
Ms. Marvel (remake) Complete
Nayru In Repair
Sylvanas Windrunner 90%
Sailor V 90%
Felicita 50%
Squigly 15%
Tifa Lockheart -planning-
Kuro Usagi -planning-
Sakuya -planning-
Kagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
Kaliza

The first time I wore it out of the house was to a park for a photoshoot with a friend of mine, we got a lot of looks but no one made any comments.
Before that, we also went to a lolita swap at an anime con but I only had one blouse and my friend was wearing it, so she was dressing in lolita (wearing my clothes lol) and I was not. Bt it was kinda sad because almost no one talked to us except when I asked someone the price of something I was interested in buying. Actually come to think of it my friend has worn my lolita clothes out in public more times than I have lol, she's a lot braver than me and can't afford her own so I let her wear mine sometimes.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote