Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
TimmCosplay
Ambitious Intermediate

Totally White Paint

I have a slight predicament here in terms of colours. I've got some armour that I need to make totally white to match some fabric.

Here is a photo of the fabric (on left) with the armour: http://nebtown.info/ss/anon/2013_02_20_19-20-45.png

And here is a reference picture of the character: http://nebtown.info/s/SV.png

I have already painted the armour using Krylon semi gloss white spray paint, but it obviously doesn't match the pure white of the fabric. I did prime it with white acrylic prior to spraying.

So... Does anyone know a brand of acrylic paint or spray paint that is completely white, and not at all cream coloured? it doesn't matter if it's flat or gloss. I know the difference in the photo is minuscule but I want it to match as close as possible, and I don't want to buy about 3 more meters of fabric to do this...

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Millions_Knives

hmm starting with a white primer helps a lot in case like this
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

No two whites are alike. Seriously, it's one of the hardest colors to match.

You might take the fabric to a hardware store (Ace, Lowe's) and have them color-match a small batch of paint for you.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
TimmCosplay
Ambitious Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
No two whites are alike. Seriously, it's one of the hardest colors to match.

You might take the fabric to a hardware store (Ace, Lowe's) and have them color-match a small batch of paint for you.
That sounds like a really good idea... I might try that, thanks.
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

To be honest, I think going pure white on this is wrong. You should actually weather the jumpsuit with light and mid grey.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
TimmCosplay
Ambitious Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
To be honest, I think going pure white on this is wrong. You should actually weather the jumpsuit with light and mid grey.
May I ask, how might I go about doing that?
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I totally agree with Nostrum. Gleaming White is only appropriate if the character only ever puts on the armor for parades, or like, it's his first day on the job. If you look at the 501st (the guys that dress up as stormtroopers), nearly all of them do significant weathering on their costume; and their weathering even varies based on what planet they are stationed on.

All sorts of techniques are used for weathering. for the jumpsuit, if using paint, you'd probably do most of it with drybrushing techniques: load up a coarse brush with paint, then paint it along a piece of scrap paper until there's barely any paint left on the brush, and then just drag and dot the brush around on the suit, focusing extra on the places that are likely to get dirtiest; like at the borders of armor pieces. Another possibility would be to just toss it about in a large hamper with a couple hunks of natural lump hardwood charcoal.

For the armor, it partially depends on how durable you make yours. Once you've done all your finishing work, clearcoats, buffing, you have the armor looking all perfect, and you've given the paintjob a couple days to reach maximum adhesion, you start by beating the crap out of it: whacking it with chains, and kitchen knifes (safety glasses and proper precautions of course), tossing it down flights of concrete steps, wearing it while playing contact sports in a dirt lot, that sort of thing. Then you either just rub dirt and grime into it, or for something more permanent, you use washes of acrylic paint mixed with water. You wipe it off of the high spots while it's still wet, so it just settles into all those lovely scratches and whatnot that you've made. You can get mud spatter effects by loading up a brush with paint, holding a stick close to the armor, and wacking the stick with the side of the brush. To get scuff marks, take a hunk of black rubber, like from a tire, and gash away. A lot of it is up to creativity. Have fun with it.
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
TimmCosplay
Ambitious Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
I totally agree with Nostrum. Gleaming White is only appropriate if the character only ever puts on the armor for parades, or like, it's his first day on the job. If you look at the 501st (the guys that dress up as stormtroopers), nearly all of them do significant weathering on their costume; and their weathering even varies based on what planet they are stationed on...
Oh yeah... I've seen guys from the 501st before. They do an excellent job. But ohhh man. It's going to be really hard to mess up everything in this costume, especially after I've worked so hard on it. I've made the armour out of EVA foam, so it's pretty durable. I will try out some of the techniques you've suggested. Thank you so much.
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Nostrum
R4Hscal

*Points to self* 501st here.
And as per the norm, completely agree with Verdatum.

Edit:
Also, weathering is so much fun. So, so much fun. It's hard to take that first step and start to mar your work, but once you do it's very enjoyable. And it makes a huge difference.
Actually, you should take a before and after photo!
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote