Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
TETSUYA_CASSHER
Zentai is fun

comments about the hotel not bbyo

Marriot is going to drive business away from this convention center and hotel; let me state this isnt about what was done about bbyo or katsu but the hotel itself.

1 Year made a big difference to this hotel, the staff did not care about service or the end product. I saw molding peeling off the walls, carpet stains, trash not picked up for several hours, spa hours were cut, bartenders in the belvedre lobby bar were mostly inattentive on there smart phones rather than cleaning or waitng on customers, no sushi bar that was availabe last yr, not this yr at anime con weak. In the sports bar the staff had just no passion, a burger and fries took 45 mins to get to me, inconsistent cocktail drinks, an again bartenders on there smartphone during a 9pm rush. The fresh market buffet selection for full breakfast were sparse, pricing increase by 5 bucks, and again a wait stuff was pretty thin. The hot tub/pool area was not as well maintened the levels on the hot tub were very low, and the water seemed dirty. The selection of room rates was boggling under gaylord ownership there was an option for atrium king, and you could still get an atrium room fairly close to the con, this year the marriot reservation website was very glitchy, and didnt have any choices. Also I noticed the shops are closing in the atrium.

TL;DR

Marriot is killing this hotel to entice you into staying elsewhere.
TETSUYA_CASSHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Fudoo
Often lost

I can agree with some of this BUT in the hotels defense we treat them no better. People leaving piles of trash in walkways etc. People braking escalators. People jumping in elevators. People leaving all their cosplay stuff all over the room and expecting it to be cleaned. Other bullshit that most of us as con-goers take for granted. If we want to be treated good we should treat the hotel just as good in return.
Fudoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Are you talking about the GAylord Resort? or the Marriot hotel? I had a chance to chill in the rooms at the Gaylord, with several different friends in different rooms.The Gaylord is by no means a place that is unkept. All it's rooms were well cleaned and in good condition. I personally didn't go to the shops inside the Atrium. I do know the Sports Bar downstairs wasn't bad. My friend and I went there and had our food within 20 minutes. But they screwed up getting our burgers mixed up. A simple fix and the server had our burgers remade. He even gave us additional fries to compensate for the screw up. We had gone during an off peak time, not during a busy period. CAn't speak for the bartenders, never went to the bar. Seems to me the Gaylord was coping as best it could with what amounted to two large conventions running at the same time, with Katsucon being the larger of the events. If you had any real complaints, you should file your concerns with the front desk on site and had it taken care of then.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Are you talking about the GAylord Resort? or the Marriot hotel? I had a chance to chill in the rooms at the Gaylord, with several different friends in different rooms.The Gaylord is by no means a place that is unkept. All it's rooms were well cleaned and in good condition. I personally didn't go to the shops inside the Atrium. I do know the Sports Bar downstairs wasn't bad. My friend and I went there and had our food within 20 minutes. But they screwed up getting our burgers mixed up. A simple fix and the server had our burgers remade. He even gave us additional fries to compensate for the screw up. We had gone during an off peak time, not during a busy period. CAn't speak for the bartenders, never went to the bar. Seems to me the Gaylord was coping as best it could with what amounted to two large conventions running at the same time, with Katsucon being the larger of the events. If you had any real complaints, you should file your concerns with the front desk on site and had it taken care of then.
The Gaylord and Marriott merged sometime in the past year.

I didn't have any problems with the hotel. I did notice that the bedding was nicer last year and that the water pressure in the showers were a lot less this year. Other than that, we just put our "Privacy" door sign all through the convention and if we need more towels or something, we'll ask. I always bring a couple glad bags for when we pack up and leave so we do our part in cleaning up our own mess.

I can't speak for the bar or restauraunt/s on site either but it's to be expected when there are at least 18,000 people in and out of the venue. Have you worked in food or hospitality? It's not easy, although that isn't an excuse for staff members and employees to be texting on their phones and what not.

Everyone should be voicing their opinions with Gaylord/Marriott, calmly and respectfully, instead of complaining about it here. They won't see it here, getting into contact with them directly is best.

Last edited by Mykaios : 02-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
o0Hitsuzen0o

I noticed last year by chance that the bed my friend and I shared looked like it had mold growing on it. It was this awful mildew-looking stain on the mattress.
Needless to say, we stayed in the Hampton Inn this year. The staff was super nice and my only complaints were that they never had any carts (even at 2 am Saturday morning) and they apparently didn't stop people from other hotels coming in and eating the "free" breakfast (probably covered by hotel fees)

Friend me on facebook or follow me on tumblr or deviantart~!
Facebook
Tumblr
Deviantart
o0Hitsuzen0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
DespairedPheonix
Elilicious

i personally didnt have any issues with the hotel this year. everyone was very nice, the beds were super comfy. last year we had a broken bed in our room and they immediately sent someone up to fix it, and even offered for me to change to a different room.

As for food places, I can't say anything about it. I got inroom dining and that was absolutely delicious, nor did it take long.
In the works: Dark Mousy, DNAngel | InuYasha, InuYasha

Facebook
| Deviantart
DespairedPheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

After Katsucon 2010, I was hoping that the convention would return to the Gaylord the next year. We've now had Katsucon at the Gaylord (now owned by Marriott) for 4 years, and I don't want Katsucon to ever leave this location..

The hotel hasn't really changed much in its appearance since 2010, although that one shop in the middle of the Atrium level by the Fountains is empty, but the building is still there, making it available for nice pictures on the outside. And what used to be the Seafood Restaurant at the far end of the Atrium Level, is now changed where they made it into meeting rooms, and added new wooden planks and made it more accessible. This really helped to allow photographers to shoot cosplayers there, against the brick walls, against the railings, and even take pictures of cosplayers who would go through the shrubbery and pose near the indoor stream/lake. (of course, all that foliage got trampled throughout the course of the weekend, but that happens every year..)

I didn't have any problems with the hotel staff or con staff in-regards to the hotel, so I definitely will return next year.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
musepoetique
Tuturu~

I personally had nothing but good things to say about the hotel. The room was gorgeous and super clean. The only thing was our TV was broken but they immediately fixed it upon request. The breakfast offered was delicious and the service there was exceptional. The National Pasttime Bar was excellent. I got service almost immediately. The house cleaning staff was super nice. I actually happened to run in to them on my way back to my room and was able to thank them personally. The two people that were there were interested in the cosplays and was super kind to me.

When we got there they didn't have a room available so we got a free upgrade to a balcony room. They were extremely nice and thanked us for our patience.

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous.
musepoetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
mrgetalife
Foxkeh Says Hi!

Ok you first need to grasp the concept of the balance between ownership and profit.

Just browsing though the internet it looks like Marriott announced around May 2012 that they were buying the Gaylord Hotel group. So that means 6 months before any announced deal. The hotel owners started to cut down on expenses and maintenance to make their numbers look good. Along with them not having to spend money to keep the place in good shape because hey they're selling it so that would be wasted money on their part. So knowing it will be sold. They let the place get run down but not to the point where Marriott would go away.

In November I think the deal was finalized and Marriott took over. So you have a Full year of disrepair. And Three months of Marriott management to figure out Gaylord worker contracts and how the place was run and can be molded into Marriott's management style.

The Seafood Restaurant was only taken down because the inside owners of that restaurant decided to shut down. They only removed the walls inside to make it meeting space because they'd have to do a demolition anyways. So Making it usable again was a priority. I think the wood planks were always there. Just tables were in the way so we never saw them. The Children's clothing store was empty and gutted i'm guessing they didn't want to renew the lease or it was one of the former owner's pet projects. They'll have something in there next year. You can't run a high end convention center without having enough restaurant space.

Also you notice how they never bothered to fix the water for the fountain area? Which ended up being better in a way because we would of broken the flex pipe again to flood the pit again. There were also other random little things broken.

But give them another 6 months and everything will be fixed up. Marriott bought the place to expand their convention business. They aren't going to just let it rot.
mrgetalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Scorpion89
The Master

As for someone who used to work for Marriott, I can tell you this usually when MUSA buys a hotel or Convention Center-Hotel they with-in 2 years get rid of all the outside venders(Restaurants) also I know a few of the folks that were transferred to the Gaylord and over the next 2-3 years MUSA plan on making large and small changes to the hotel. One item I do know that will be done first is that all of the rooms decor will be changed, this is a stander practice in the Hotel Business.