Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Maplestory Luminous cosplay help

I am cosplaying Luminous from the game Maplestory, however I am having quite some trouble figuring out what to use for, certain parts of his costume.

Here are a few reference pictures..

For one thing I can't figure out how to make the belt that is wrapped around his waist, let alone what to use for it, I looked in my local craft store but I didn't see anything that was big enough for me to use for the belt?

The next part of his costume I can't figure out how to go about doing it are, those strange gray cuffs, around his wrist and upper elbow, and towards the top of his boots..I was thinking of making possibly making the bot belt/cuff out of dark grey fabric, but I can't say the same for the arm cuffs?
Speaking of his arms I was thinking of possibly making those brown arm covers; (I,m not sure of their technical name, same goes for the greyish arm and leg cuffs)?

As for his boots should I just buy a pair of dark brown boots, and glue golden fabric, to them using shoe glue (or in the case of the straps on the middle of his boot, paint a belt golden, then glue it)in order to make the golden patterns on his shoes. Or just sew together a pair of boot covers?

As for the diamond pattern in the middle of his mantle/caplet, would that be a separate piece that I would make out of sculpy, or just simply a piece of fabric, to sew or glue to the mantle?

Lastly, I was trying to figure out how to make his dual-staff; I was thinking of possibly using a broom handle for the base, and two Styrofoam rings for the ring shaped head pieces, but beyond that I am quite stuck, particularly on the strange star shaped detail on each of the staffs heads?

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated..
Thank you in advance..

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

It's super-deformed so sorta open to interpretation, but the belt looks to me almost like a simple rope-belt. Something like simple 1/2'' cotton rope, the ends whipped with string (look it up). If you want to make it more brown, just boil it in a pot of tea. Make those loops from muslin with the edges folded inward, or use smaller bits of rope. Wrap the rope around you 1.5 times, and you can probably get away with just fastening it with safety pins at your sides.

The "strange gray cuffs" would probably be considered bracers. I'd do them so that both the metal part and the brown part with the circles is a single piece, but separate from the gloves. I'd do it as a sheet of craft foam, with more craft foam glued on top for the metal parts. I like spray-glue or contact cement best, since it's nice and flexible. Glue it up while the sheet is bent around in a cylinder, or it won't want to hold it's shape. Coat the entire surface with a couple coats of white glue, then paint it. Fasten it around your arm with a strip of Velcro. Yeah, a seam-line will show, but it's not a big deal.

I'd use the same technique for boots. I'd probably sew up a simple brown fabric boot-cover, and glue the yellow metal pieces and the leg bracers to that. The yellow piece on the toe might need to be heat-formed a bit. heat up an oversized rectangle of craft foam using a hair-dryer on high (or heatgun, or toaster oven if careful) and once it's all floppy, stretch it over a boot so it matches the toe shape. Then cut out the actual shape.

It could be interpreted that the yellow diamond thing is supposed to be attached to a necklace. Possibly the bars on either side as well. If you go that route, sculpey would work just great for that.

For the star-shaped bits of the staff, you can cut out the shape from a sheet of craft foam and glue that to the styrofoam, or to save money, you could use card-stock (I use cereal boxes). To make it symetrical, you'll probably want to apply it to both sides of the ring, in such a way that they meet together at the points.

For the styrofoam, go with the smooth expanded foam that's used to make ice coolers, not the rough open-celled foam. If you're stuck using the open celled foam, you gotta do extra steps to get a smooth surface.

For the sake of durability, you really should apply paper mache to the surface of the styrofoam. This will also help to secure it to your broomstick. About 3 layers of newspaper, squeegie out all the excess paste, and avoid air-pockets at all costs. Once dry, sand the surface with 220 grit sandpaper, optionally brush it with a last coat of white glue, apply primer, and then paint.
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Umbamabumba
The Overlord of Fire

Thank you for the help, it'll make things much easier for me to make the costume, but I have another question, where exactly do you get a 1/2'' cotton rope, from?