Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 379 votes, 4.90 average.
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #20116
Talossa
We try hardcore!

If your issue is that it's one of those female styrofoam wig heads and it's too small, try finding a male styrofoam wig head. Those ones are generally a lot closer in size to an actual human head.
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #20117
piffle esque
mahou shoujo in training!

When I get these awesome 40-50% off coupons from Hancocks in my email and they turn out to be in store only. DX
piffle esque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #20118
sillymyway

When I have no place to carry my things during a cosplay. D: I always have to carry around a bag that doesn't fit the cosplay and then drop it when someone asks for picture.
AnimeNEXT
TooManyGames
New York Comic Convention

.:2014 Cosplays:.
Ricken (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
gijinka! Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Nagisa Hazuki (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Ravio ( LOZ: A Link Between Worlds)
Charlie Vergier (Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure)

sillymyway cosplay
sillymyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #20119
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
what if you duck tape the wig head to make it the same size as the head?
I don't think it quite works like that. I tried to do that and all I ended up doing is pissing myself off and having to buy another wig head. I think there is a way to do so but I've never seen a tutorial to do it. But if you do good luck!~

Events: ALA 15, Kawaii Kon 15, and AX 15
Photography Page Cosplay Page
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #20120
magnum-desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
I don't think it quite works like that. I tried to do that and all I ended up doing is pissing myself off and having to buy another wig head. I think there is a way to do so but I've never seen a tutorial to do it. But if you do good luck!~
In case you'd like to try again, this is how you modify a wig head to be your size.
1) Put your hair up in your wig cap, just as if you were going to put on a wig.
2) Cover your head (but not your face) in saran wrap. Make sure there are no gaps, or else you'll be pulling tape of your wig cap/any hair peeking through it.
3) Cover everything your wig cap covers in masking tape or duct tape until you have a sturdy "helmet".
4) Put the "helmet" on your wig head, stuff the space between the styrofoam and saran wrap with whatever (newspaper, leftover fabric, etc.). Doesn't matter what, you just don't want it to lose its shape over time.
5) Tape edges of "helmet" into place. You can also mark your natural hairline on it, if you'd like.
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #20121
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Waiting for patterns to go on sale. I just missed the last round of sales and found the perfect pattern for a new cosplay.

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #20122
Vanilla_Rose16

My biggest pet peeve is probably carrying around a bag in cosplay. Since I don't stay at the hotel I am normally forced to carry around a small bag and it's always a hassle taking it off for photos. Although it's not so bad when your non-cosplaying friends offer to hold it for awhile, lol. I've had many moments at the last con I attended where I constantly handed over my bag to my friend as I got a photo taken. I felt bad XD
Vanilla_Rose16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #20123
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rose16 View Post
My biggest pet peeve is probably carrying around a bag in cosplay. Since I don't stay at the hotel I am normally forced to carry around a small bag and it's always a hassle taking it off for photos. Although it's not so bad when your non-cosplaying friends offer to hold it for awhile, lol. I've had many moments at the last con I attended where I constantly handed over my bag to my friend as I got a photo taken. I felt bad XD
I hate this as well! DX
I got lucky though that when I did Gin from Detective Conan, everything I needed for the day fit in my briefcase.

As for my peeve:
Not being able to go cosplay shopping when I want. I was hoping my mom would take me the JCPenny and Michael's so I could get stuff to work on Saphir's jacket while at my friend's house tomorrow, so I walked the dog and did everything I could and she was just too tired when she got home. The mall is right across the street and it's too cold to walk -3-

Curse my irrational fear of driving.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #20124
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnsassy View Post
Waiting for patterns to go on sale. I just missed the last round of sales and found the perfect pattern for a new cosplay.
A lot of people including me had this just happen. It's really bad now that I'm snowed in and could use something to do.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #20125
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rose16 View Post
Oh man, this. I have my dad to carry it sometimes, but my peeve is my own stupidity and forgetting to take the bag off OTL. This is usually when I'm not honestly thinking my costume is all that good and don't care what pictures look like, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
As for my peeve:
Not being able to go cosplay shopping when I want. I was hoping my mom would take me the JCPenny and Michael's so I could get stuff to work on Saphir's jacket while at my friend's house tomorrow, so I walked the dog and did everything I could and she was just too tired when she got home. The mall is right across the street and it's too cold to walk -3-

Curse my irrational fear of driving.
This. I want to start working on going out to thrift stores to find a skirt to use for Rikka, but I can only go on the weekends because I need someone else to drive me. And this Saturday is a friend's birthday party, and my mom hates to go out on Sundays. >.< Ughh..

My peeve right now..I want to watch new anime, but I always have this worry that I'll fall in love with one of the characters and HAVE TO COSPLAY THEM. So I'm totally against watching new anime until I'm comfortable with my plans. OTL
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #20126
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
My peeve right now..I want to watch new anime, but I always have this worry that I'll fall in love with one of the characters and HAVE TO COSPLAY THEM. So I'm totally against watching new anime until I'm comfortable with my plans. OTL
Ugh this is me right now! I picked up a manga and BAM! After the first chapter I already want to cosplay as one of the characters! So many wonderful characters out there but sooo little money to make any of them ; _ ;

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 65%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Tinkerbell - Disney 5%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Ruby Rose/Summer Rose - RWBY 10%[/color]
Petra Ral (angel ver.)- AoT
Lisa Garland - Silent Hill
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #20127
Lyexsah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
Thanks for the input, but I'm not going to be rethinking any of my stances, whether you think there's something glaringly wrong or not.

It's actually people like you that make me have this argument.
I'm sorry that when my genes were assigned (which I had no control over) I wasn't given any artistic or crafty genes. I'm sorry that my job and school ties up much of my time, so even if I did have a crafty gene, I wouldn't have the time to put it to use. I'm sorry that if I want to indulge in this hobby I have to get it commissioned or bust. But that isn't a reason for me to be looked down upon. "Congratulations, you've gone to a convention five years in a row with a costume you commissioned/bought". Gee, thanks for the extreme glaringly obvious sarcasm. Would you like me to add in an eye-roll on your behalf? Because that's the exact type of shit I get that makes this a peeve to begin with..
Are you familiar with the short story "Harrison Bergeron"? It's a story that is basically a counterargument to your stance, and a very effective one, at that.

Basically it says that it's unfair to demand that people aren't recognized/respected/praised for things that they are skilled at simply because you are not skilled at it. No, it's not unfair. They earned the praise and respect that they are receiving.

You surely have something you're good at that you will receive more attention than the other cosplayer for. I, for example, am a digital artist.

Say I buy a cosplay, and my roommate makes hers. I may buy a cosplay, and not get as much praise/respect for it because my roommate is cosplaying the same thing just as well, but she spent hours hand crafting it.

But say then someone visits our apartment, and they notice the cool artwork on the walls in our bedroom. She has a fantastic print on her side of the room, and I have one on mine. Now the person asks my roommate "WOW, that's cool, where'd you get it?" And my roommate says, "Oh, just online." at which point the conversation would be over unless the visitor decides to inquire where they can purchase a similar work, or to compliment my roommate on her taste.

And then the person looks at the print on my side and goes, "This one is great, too!." and I respond, "I painted it myself!" I'm obviously going to receive a bit of extra attention for it as the visitor asks how I painted it, what program or tablet I used, how long it took me to complete, what my inspiration was, where I had it printed at, et cetera...

Now I ask you, in that situation, is it unreasonable that the visitor would give more attention to me, who painted the digital print that was hung on the wall, instead of my roommate, who bought a print online? Do you think it's reasonable for roommate to be offended?

Hand making a cosplay is the same thing. A person simply put more time and effort into something. It shows dedication, and others admire that. It's a bummer that you don't have the same skills as that person, but that's just life.

Everyone has areas that they're good or bad in. Making something and buying something are not equal. To demand that people treat them as equal is basically saying that there is no reason to put any extra effort or creativity into their cosplays, because they'll all be treated the same anyways.

You're asking for communism, basically. Cosplay respect communism.
Lyexsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #20128
ShaylaTheRoo
Animal Husbandry Expert

I find entirely too often that I LOVE characters that I could never be comfortable dressing up as accurately. Like, really? Put some of that boob away, or cover up that tummy, and we'll talk, lady.

Or, as is the other case, totally falling in love with a character... but not their outfit, ha ha.
ShaylaTheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #20129
MotherSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffle esque View Post
When I get these awesome 40-50% off coupons from Hancocks in my email and they turn out to be in store only. DX
Where are these coupons of which you speak?? T^T I'm waiting and hoping to find some coupons before tomorrow but alas, I haven't received any joanns or hancock fabric coupons yet lol
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #20130
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPwnsGanon View Post
Ugh this is me right now! I picked up a manga and BAM! After the first chapter I already want to cosplay as one of the characters! So many wonderful characters out there but sooo little money to make any of them ; _ ;
and @Funtom,

Good lord! This is my life right nowXDD I have umpteen cosplays i want to do and at random motivation times, even though i already have fabric for planned characters. and watching Anime, Movies, and reading Manga really doesn't help XDD I'm a flighty bird, and staying grounded is hard, cause one moment i'm sure and buying and the next i change lol. Thankfully for my current con line up my plans are pretty set in stone, cause helping me stick to them is me telling #people what i plan and knowing they expect it, really helps me stay on track with it. Though what it also does i've noticed is made me want to cosplay more characters in addition the ones i have.

Characters Y U TEMPT SO!?!

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote