Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

White Glue...needs to GO

SO I was really young and dumb at one point, and I used white glue on a wig ... I'm remaking the wig and for $$$ reasons would like to at least save the base wig .... it was a fairly expensive Amphigory wig. Anyone have any idea how to get the glue out short of cutting it, as I'm going to repart the wig and I need the length to get it into ponytails. (Young and dumb mistake 2 was using WAY TOO MUCH HAIR when I parted it and it weighs like a zillion pounds.)

Thanks!
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

try washing it? odds are its water solubule glue
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Definitely try washing it. If it's school glue or something, it should come out.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
yamibakura03
aka Ludger03

^ I would wash it like everyone suggested it. I would also try to fill some water in a container or sink and add fabric softener. Leave the wig soaking for about 10 min or more if needed and then wash normally. Let it dry and then comb it. It should of removed most of the glue by then.
Elsword Cosplays: Blade Master Raven ver 2.0 (81%) andIron Paladin Chung (21%)
Tales of Xillia 2- Victor Mel Mata (16%) & Jude Mathis (10%)
yamibakura03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Lady_Sephiroth
Lady of Avalon

oooohkay .. how does one wash a wig? It's been a long, long time since I've done anything like this ... bleah. I've forgotten so much!
Lady_Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Basically, fill up a sink or a bucket with lukewarm water, add whatever shampoo you've got lying around (don't use too much) and work your fingers around the wig and through its fibers gently. You can add some conditioner if you like, in my experience it helps prevent tangles. Rinse it, and dry up the excess water with a towel. Let it dry out, maybe put it near a fan so it doesn't mildew. (This happened to me once, it was a pain!) Or, if the wig is heat resistant, you can use a blow dryer to dry it. Then you're done!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if the wig is long, use the tub since it's got more room.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
AshofRebirth

If that doesn't work... Acetone? The only thing I'd be really afraid of is it eating the actual wig fibers. But acetone is used alot of times to dehair My Little Pony dolls and get the glue the manufacturers use to seal up the hair from the inside.. The fibers are similar if not the same to the wigs we wear

I support Loose Cannons Props! And you should too!
AshofRebirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
Devkyu

It really depends, but there is a product called UnDu that we used at work for dissolving glue residue on artwork. Pretty sure you can find it at most art supply stores (pretty sure A.C.Moore has it?). Just put a few drops on it and let it sit and then wipe it off. Comes in a little clear bottle with a white cap. It should work if good old fashioned shampoo doesn't.

Keep in mind, you might need to wash it several times to get out all of the glue.