Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
cheerlubber

Decals on rain boots?

I want to do an Orange Caramel cosplay in about a month but I can't find any place to buy their boots online anymore for a reasonable price, so I want to try and make them. I'd like to get it as accurate as I can so I'm wondering how well decals will stick to rubber. I was thinking of buying some decal paper (waterslide decals?) and printing out a large image of oranges and laying that on plain orange rain boots in large sheets. How possible do you think it is? How well do large decals apply? I've seen that people use waterslide decals to put things on smooth surfaces like mugs and whatnot, but do you think it would hold to rubber? Would I need to do anything before or after to the boots to seal the project or sorts? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for any help!

cheerlubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Anything with a proper adhesive backing will stick to rubber or vinyl boots. The problem isn't one of sticking, it's one of stretching. Just about anything with a paper backing is going to tear where the boot flexes as you walk. There's also an issue of conforming to the complex boot shape. A single sheet decal, unless it's super-carefully designed and applied will not wrap onto a boot like this without wrinkles or tares.

There are services that produce high quality heat-shrink decals, mostly for custom automotive applications. You might be able to apply something like that and have it survive walking around without peeling off.
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
cheerlubber

Thanks for the tips, guess I'll have to get some boots and see where they crease first, then give it a shot.

Also, just wanted to say, I swear I see you post on nearly every complicated question, and you just know so much! It's incredible! You're a great resource and help to us all, thank you so much!!
cheerlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

*blush* D'aww shucks, it ain't nothin'. I just like knowing how to make stuff, and I subscribe to the principle of truly understanding something by teaching it.

Most of my knowledge comes from educational TV shows like How It's Made. I see something interesting being done, figure that I can do it too, buy the materials and give it a shot. Then I get bored and move on to the next technique. Right now, I'm doing 19th century woodworking. After that, I'm making a wood-fired cob (clay & straw) oven, and so-on.