Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
MiNTY.MAGiC
Magical Girl

Where to buy shapewear?

Do any of you know where to buy a plain, white corset, preferably for under $100? Timeless Trends seems to have some decent ones but I feel like there should be completely plain ones for cheaper.
Also, since I would be wearing this under my cosplays, would a corset or a waist cincher work better (I'm not entirely clear on the difference)?
For the record, I have a 28" waist. I've heard that for corsets, you're supposed to order about 4-5" smaller than your actual waistline, but since I'm not planning on using one for waist training does this still apply?
Sorry if this was in the wrong forum; I wasn't sure where to post and this seemed like the closest category!
MiNTY.MAGiC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

if u need to actually "shape" yourself your going to want a real steel boning which will be the more expensive ones. also I would read on the specific site as it really is dependent on the corset and company.
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Corsets in general are not cheap. Even "plain" ones for underpinnings. You're going to find those from dealers who are selling to historical costumers who need specific-shaped corsets for specific time periods or styles.

If you just need something to tuck in a tummy or lift some boobs, look into modern shapewear if you need it cheap. Spandex girdles and cinchers and such. Corsets are lovely but you don't need one if you're not trying to achieve a certain look - and need it to do heavy-duty holding of that shape all day. It really depends on your purpose.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Penlowe

Agree with CC. Also, if you are looking for a plain item to work under multiple different outfits, you want something close to your flesh tone, not white.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
MiNTY.MAGiC
Magical Girl

Thanks for the advice you guys! I should have clarified in the first place that I'm not going for a specific shape- I just want a slimmer waist for a couple cosplays I'm doing since the characters are pretty curvy and I'm not super curvy myself haha
I will probably look into regular shapewear then- corsets are nice but I don't really want to invest in one if shapewear is better for what I need. If anybody has any suggestions on where to buy that, please let me know!
MiNTY.MAGiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

If you are trying to get much curvier, then a corset might be what you need. Shapewear mostly smooths everything out, but doesn't do a lot of reduction.

For general shapewear, you can buy it at Target or Wal-Mart. I know Target sells Assets, which is by Spanx, and Spanx are what most people prefer. It will run you anywhere from $15-$35 roughly depending on what you are looking for.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

As far as I know Spanx is some of the best - I can't speak to it personally as the only shapewear I have is a compression shirt for binding. But my partner went straight for the Spanx to pull in her butt a little for Sailor Cosmos.

I'm surrounded by people who love corsets and are mainly historical costumers, so I get earfuls about corsets all the time. Not to say you can't use corsets for any type of cosplay (aforementioned Sailor Cosmos wears one to drop her waist and lift her chest), but they do much different jobs than just tuck in and smooth out.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Penlowe

Fredricks of Hollywood has been making shape wear to augment your curves for decades. Want more tush? they got it. need bigger cleavage? you can go up two or three cup sizes with their products. And their everyday bras are wonderfully made, comfortable and last. I've got some everyday bras that are over 5 years old and still wear beautifully, which is saying a lot considering I toss them in the washer and dryer.
Roughly the same price as Victorias Secret but MUCH higher quality.
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
milksake

Worth noting, though, that Fredricks doesn't sell corsets. Don't buy any of their things labeled corsets if you don't need one. They DO sell boned shapewear that goes from your hips to your underbust and both smooths and accentuates curves!
milksake is offline   Reply With Quote